Thought Nando played well last night, he was lively and makes the team more lively.  Sure he forgot his shooting boots and could be called greedy at times,  but he was getting into positions, making the space and taking a shot on, when infuriatingly many turn the chance to shoot down!  Satisfactory and encouraging display

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

played well and has been good since his latest comeback but we cannot rely on him

he's injury prone and form very inconsistent and he's 30 now, time for him to move on after a stop start wednesday career, great talent though

Fletcher on the other hand is in his prime and yes he gets injured but when he plays we are so much better as his form is so good, Fletcher can play at this level for a few more years yet, 2 year deal for me

3 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Rhodes is poo!

That wasn’t my question.

Rhodes-Fletcher v Forestieri-Fletcher?

One of these partnerships has seen the team score at a rate of a goal every 34 minutes. The other has seen the team score at a rate of a goal every 90 minutes.

Personally, I like goals and points. For whatever reason that’s what you get out of a Rhodes-Fletcher partnership. I can understand fans dismissing Rhodes, but I hope Monk brings him back to rekindle what he had with Fletcher v Brentford, Derby and Forest.

11 hours ago, owls maniac said:

His shooting let him down. Hopefully that will sharpen up with game time. 

There was a few times where he went for shots from the same position as some of his screamers in 15/16 but sadly they had a different ending.

Encouraging to see him performing though 

10 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

There’s a good example of twisting stats. What’s the sample size for the Rhodes-Fletcher partnership?

If you think we look like scoring more goals at Hillsborough with Rhodes instead of Forestieri you see the game differently to me.

Forestieri offers a lot more, always shows for the ball, presses and works. And on the left hand side he’s a focal point of most attacks when he’s on the field. When Rhodes doesn’t score he is virtually non existent

Sample size.

Fletcher-Rhodes has played in tandem 612 minutes. We scored 18 goals at a rate of one every 34 minutes.

With Forestieri at striker we score a goal every 90 minutes, even if Fletcher is his partner.

So, it’s not about looking like scoring goals, it’s about actually scoring goals.

10 hours ago, ka58 said:

I think you’re doing him a bit of a disservice off the ball.

his work rate and pressing kept us up the pitch a lot tonight also.

I look at goals and points. There’s never a “workrate” or “pressing” column in the league tables.

11 hours ago, SiJ said:

5 years on and Holmowl still going on about whether Nando is better on the left or not.

And?

In a thread called “Nando” you think opinions on his best position are not valid?

Enlighten us on what we should and shouldn’t post about.

41 minutes ago, gypsyowl said:

played well and has been good since his latest comeback but we cannot rely on him

he's injury prone and form very inconsistent and he's 30 now, time for him to move on after a stop start wednesday career, great talent though

Fletcher on the other hand is in his prime and yes he gets injured but when he plays we are so much better as his form is so good, Fletcher can play at this level for a few more years yet, 2 year deal for me

Fletcher must get a 2 year deal but on reduced terms and I think he will accept it. He’s had a 4 year £30k PW deal off us - he should now accept a reduced deal given FFP and he’s now made his money. 

He played really well tonight. Yes his shooting was a bit off and there were two where Wickham was well placed. Having said that, thought most of Wickham’s game not much different from a taller version of Rhodes, not like his last spell with us. 
But one key point about Fernando, the best form of defence is attack. And he did this in spades, with Charlton pinned in their half for quite long periods. Much of that down to him, critical in our control of the game. 
Bannan was better further forward. Don’t think he so much hogs the game as other player have less confidence about what to do and therefore keep giving it to him. 

Boy, did we deserve that goal after Charlton’s miserable Delaying tactics, unpunished other than one yellow card and the extra time! Thought the ref was generous with our celebrations!

11 hours ago, A12owl said:

Just play Nando anywhere. 

Given game time he will come good. 

He had a big hug with monk when he got to the dugout after being subbed. He actually went to monk. 

Nando is back. 

From The Chairman of the Forestieri Appreciation Society

Too simplistic mate.

Does a Maserati perform off-road?

Does a tractor perform on a motorway?

The reason he divides opinion so much is that he’s been misused for seasons.

Guest Bulgaria
20 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

And?

In a thread called “Nando” you think opinions on his best position are not valid?

Enlighten us on what we should and shouldn’t post about.

He will be too busy looking for other posters to have a go at.

10 hours ago, smhouston said:

Difference being FF offers more to the team than Nuhiu does. If Nuhiu isn't scoring he offers very little. He doesn't have the quickness to get around the pitch, he can't help defend, he can't help put attackers under pressure, he doesn't have the movement like FF to get in to those spaces where FF managed to get some chances

and I'd disagree about Nuhiu influencing the game more (not personally aimed at him though). Thought after all the subs was made our performance went flat which let Charlton back in to the game although thankfully did not punish us

That’s so not true.

We score FAR more goals when Nuhiu plays striker than when Nando plays striker. 

How? Don’t know, don’t care. It’s just true.

And please don’t read into this that I think Nuhiu is “better” than Nando. I would have Nando in every starting Xl with his current enthusiasm.

So for example, 

Murhpy Fletcher Nuhiu Forestieri

Edited by Holmowl

1 minute ago, A12owl said:

Nando isn't an out and out striker.

What is goals per minutes on pitch of Nando and Nuhiu? 

Somebody will know? 

It's not a proper comparison though. 

Nuhiu has scored more than Palmer . Dawson has stopped more shots than Nuhiu. 

Compare apples and apples  

Will this do?

Fletcher-Rhodes - goal every 34 mins

Fletcher-Nuhiu - goal every 40 minutes

Fletcher-FF - goal every 90 minutes

1 minute ago, A12owl said:

So you would play Rhodes before Forestieri? 

Those stats don't tell everything. They can be made to look whatever you want by picking the relevant info. 

Let's just agree to disagree when it come to Forestieri. 

I don’t get you.

You say Forestieri isn’t a striker, yet you keep comparing him with other strikers.

Would I play Rhodes before Forestieri? No, I would play them both, in their best positions. 

Fessi worked hard for the cause last night in a game that wasn't pretty, the man is ring rusty who wouldn't be after the length of time he's been out but with a run in the team and a couple of goals that will be the time to judge. The whole team as a unit are way under performing, okay we won last night and nobody more pleased than me but we will have to play a whole lot better to get results in our next few games. 

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

I look at goals and points. There’s never a “workrate” or “pressing” column in the league tables.

No - but no team would get many goals or points if no one bothered to work hard either.