A12owl

Fletcher and Forestieri

8 hours ago, Blue and white said:

The best partnership according to the stats is Fletcher and Rhodes, I for one would be more than happy with this and Nando on the left wing.

Hear Hear

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

As a striker he’s not as good as any of them mate. It looks pretty and exciting, but it simply doesn’t work. (my Definition of work - scoring goals and winning points).

The question should be, is he better than Murphy or Harris? Now you’re talking.

Let’s see the next 11 games with Forestieri left or right with Fletcher and a proper strike partner up the middle.

I'm not saying he is a striker. He should be given a free role to go where he thinks best. He has a good footballing brain and knows where to go and how to link with others. Don't just judge him on goals scored. He aggravates the opposition with his runs. They are mostly forward unlike some others. He is brave and skillful with the ball. He has proved in the last couple of games that he can chase back and is willing to put a tackle in. No he ain't perfect but he's in the top 3 in skill level and thinking in our squad. 

If you just forget your previous prejudices against him and look at what he can offer at this time when everybody is saying there is no skill and passion in the team. He lifts the crowd. They sing his name. It seems that he has his critics on owlstalk but I bet the majority of supporters (those who don't use OT) would have him as first name on team sheet. 

That's my opinion. 

From The Chairman of the Forestieri Appreciation Society

2 minutes ago, A12owl said:

I'm not saying he is a striker. He should be given a free role to go where he thinks best. He has a good footballing brain and knows where to go and how to link with others. Don't just judge him on goals scored. He aggravates the opposition with his runs. They are mostly forward unlike some others. He is brave and skillful with the ball. He has proved in the last couple of games that he can chase back and is willing to put a tackle in. No he ain't perfect but he's in the top 3 in skill level and thinking in our squad. 

If you just forget your previous prejudices against him and look at what he can offer at this time when everybody is saying there is no skill and passion in the team. He lifts the crowd. They sing his name. It seems that he has his critics on owlstalk but I bet the majority of supporters (those who don't use OT) would have him as first name on team sheet. 

That's my opinion. 

From The Chairman of the Forestieri Appreciation Society

Then why compare him with Wickham, Nuhiu and Winnall?

3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Then why compare him with Wickham, Nuhiu and Winnall?

I didn't directly. With Fletcher as striker which of the other 4 would anyone prefer on the pitch. 

8 minutes ago, A12owl said:

I didn't directly. With Fletcher as striker which of the other 4 would anyone prefer on the pitch. 

I would always go 442 and currently Murphy Fletcher Nuhiu* FF

*Would be happy to see Fletcher partner Rhodes, Nuhiu or Wickham.

45 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

If we are playing 4-4-2 with Rhodes and Fletcher as you want. There we are far better suited to having Murphy/ Harris or Murphy/ Reach on the wings.

29 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

If we are playing 4-4-2 with Rhodes and Fletcher as you want. There we are far better suited to having Murphy/ Harris or Murphy/ Reach on the wings.

Yes. Any two from four. FF, Reach, Murphy, Harris.

On form and fitness right now I would start FF and Murphy.

5 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Reach and Luongo will make a difference aswell. 

Not a fan of reach , Luongo is a vintage Wednesday signing , constantly injured 

Looking at how we've played from the new year to the last two games I'd definitely have Fletcher & Forestieri up front.

FF was a menace with his tracking back and tackling, which is what Fletcher does better than any of our strikers.

FF looked lively on the ball and, with better finishing, he could have had hat-trick last night - hopefully, this will improve in due course.

Wickham doesn't seem to be quite there yet, fitness wise, but he's looking better, game by game.

6 hours ago, Holmowl said:

We haven't got 2 decent out and out strikers (unless Wickham sorts himself out) so we cannot play at 2 up front. Fletcher plus Fernando buzzing around up front would be my way. 

Reach left and Murphy right. 

4-2-3-1

or

4-4-1-1

7 hours ago, Finney on the Wing said:

Looking at how we've played from the new year to the last two games I'd definitely have Fletcher & Forestieri up front.

FF was a menace with his tracking back and tackling, which is what Fletcher does better than any of our strikers.

FF looked lively on the ball and, with better finishing, he could have had hat-trick last night - hopefully, this will improve in due course.

Wickham doesn't seem to be quite there yet, fitness wise, but he's looking better, game by game.

The danger is this.

Hooper was a fabulous striker with our best conversion rate for years. Pair him up front with Forestieri and they both dried up completely.

Fletcher is a fabulous striker with an increasingly good conversion rate. The one striker he’s never gelled/scored with is Forestieri.

Forestieri stops his strike partner, and therefore the team, scoring goals. Therefore we stop winning matches. It’s true, but unpalatable to so many fans,

Hes a winger. Never a striker.

Edited by Holmowl

18 hours ago, Holmowl said:

The danger is this.

Hooper was a fabulous striker with our best conversion rate for years. Pair him up front with Forestieri and they both dried up completely.

Fletcher is a fabulous striker with an increasingly good conversion rate. The one striker he’s never gelled/scored with is Forestieri.

Forestieri stops his strike partner, and therefore the team, scoring goals. Therefore we stop winning matches. It’s true, but unpalatable to so many fans,

Hes a winger. Never a striker.

For me, Hooper was excellent for us, when he was available, and Fletcher seems to be getting better as games go by.

Personally, I think Forestieri is the only striker at the club that can create and score goals without much assistance.

Sticking him out wide is a waste, he needs to be involved, either running through the middle at defenders or looking for

the incisive pass, or defensively, not letting their defenders stroll out with the ball, as has happened a lot recently.

He frustrates me a bit when he receives a pass then passes it back or sideways, when he could go on with it but

that's possibly down to a lack of communication from those around him.

Not saying he can't play on the wing but, he looks lost out there a lot of the time.

Did FF really have 11 shots at goal on Wednesday? 
Many of them were poor, but what a positive stat that is! Sometimes we don’t have that many as a team.

The dipping shot the keeper parried at the near post was a great effort.

If he keeps that level of involvement in games it can only end well I would think 

5 minutes ago, Owly Mowly said:

Did FF really have 11 shots at goal on Wednesday? 
Many of them were poor, but what a positive stat that is! Sometimes we don’t have that many as a team.

The dipping shot the keeper parried at the near post was a great effort.

If he keeps that level of involvement in games it can only end well I would think 

It’s a team game. 

Will Forestieri partnering Fletcher improve the number of goals we score or worsen it?

Over the past 5 seasons him playing up top significantly reduces the number of goals the team score. His partnership with Fletcher has been very goal-dry. Remember how the Hooper-Forestieri partnership stopped us scoring like somebody turning off a tap?

Lets hope that if Monk has decided FF is a striker (and it looks like he has) that somehow he gets it to work. Two excellent players, but can he find out why it hasn’t worked before, and make changes to get it to work now?

Fletcher and FF stands a better chance then Hooper and FF, imo. 

30 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

It’s a team game. 

Will Forestieri partnering Fletcher improve the number of goals we score or worsen it?

Over the past 5 seasons him playing up top significantly reduces the number of goals the team score. His partnership with Fletcher has been very goal-dry. Remember how the Hooper-Forestieri partnership stopped us scoring like somebody turning off a tap?

Lets hope that if Monk has decided FF is a striker (and it looks like he has) that somehow he gets it to work. Two excellent players, but can he find out why it hasn’t worked before, and make changes to get it to work now?

We’ve only scored 4 goals in the first half at Hillsborough all season (in 18 games) and only 15 in total.

It isn’t Forestieri that’s reducing the number of goals we score.

We scored 3 at Birmingham last week with him in the team and we looked a lot more like scoring on Wednesday night than we have in the home games when Rhodes, Nuhiu or Winnall have started