Kieran Lee Though.....

We played without a ball winning/holding midfielder last night, worried me at first but it proved a shrewd selection given that Charlton’s midfield didn’t turn up at all.

Opponents have been crowding us out in midfield at Hillsborough lately and our creative players have struggled to find any momentum. Last night we saw echoes of  vintage Lee carrying the ball and finding acres of space. It will have done him the world of good.

Great to see him coming back to form.

1 hour ago, ChapSmurf said:

I guess what a lot of people on here don't see or understand is that what you do off the ball is as important as what you do on it.

This is why Pelupessy gets so much stick on here. 

And even though far from being our best player Forestieri is considered god like.

lol

imo...

There's still a very good player for a few years in Lee. Yet after those injuries and age I think it's harsh to expect him to be the same box to box monster he once was. I reckon another adaption to say an out and out holding midfielder could prolong his career.

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

This is why Pelupessy gets so much stick on here. 

And even though far from being our best player Forestieri is considered god like.

lol

I think there are a lot of people who don't understand the modern game and what can be asked of a player or the role they sometimes need to perform. It's not always glamorous or pretty and nor is it necessarily obvious either. But take that player out, or change his role, and it will be.

2 hours ago, theowlsman said:

Where we left off in Feb.....

Can KL keep it up and steer us safe?

My favourite Wednesday player. A proper intelligent footballer. 

Lots saying let him go.

Still the best footballer we have at Hillsborough despite his age and injury problems.

• Like 4

I am old and have seen a lot of football but I was thinking the other day that I can’t think of another player who plays / played the game like Lee.

Obviously I am not suggesting he should have been a  Premier League player because he has weaknesses to his game but I can’t think of any other player who has his range of attributes.

He runs all day,  ghosts about but somehow regularly turns up in the same part of the pitch as the ball, not physical and rarely tackles but nicks or intercepts the ball, good enough on the ball to link play and , other than Saturday, give him a chance and he will normally score it.
He just doesn’t fit any of the stereotypes for footballers and the positions. 

Edited by oldishowl
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

I am old and have seen a lot of football but I was thinking the other day that I can’t think of another player who plays / played the game like Lee.

Obviously I am not suggesting he should have been a  Premier League player because he has weaknesses to his game but I can’t think of any other player who has his range of attributes.

He runs all day,  ghosts about but somehow regularly turns up in the same part of the pitch as the ball, not physical and rarely tackles but nicks or intercepts the ball, good enough on the ball to link play and , other than Saturday, give him a chance and he will normally score it.
He just doesn’t fit any of the stereotypes for footballers and the positions. 

Good summary of Kieran Lee. Technically excellent. I am interested to see how he goes for the last 8 games as he is a fantastic footballer. Given his professionalism and commitment to the club, I would be receptive to giving him a deal for next season. 

For me, we need a clear out of the big earners and a new solid wage structure moving forward as well as having the so called ‘bad eggs or disruptive influences’ out of the club.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Suzuki_San said:

Wouldn't surprise me if in these remaining games, he played himself into another deal with us.

I'd love that to be the case as IMO when he was fit he was close to our best player but we are seemingly moving into a period where we will need players who are fit for the full season we can't rely on that being the case with KL 

My absolute favourite player of recent years and if he leaves i for one will wish him all the best