How good was Trevor Matthewson’s perm?

This is a long time ago so my memories may be sketchy but i think he made his debut away at Watford ? on the same day that the blunts got relegated to the old 4th division.

The reason this sticks in my memory is thus..........a girl i was seeing at the time said we had been invited to a house party for a relative / friend at Shirecliffe on that very night and Trevor was there, he seemed really quiet and shy , i just asked "everything go ok today" and he smiled and said yes thanks.

i was dying to quiz him on all sorts but did the right thing and left him be whilst we all got sloshed laughing about the blunts.

18 hours ago, sexpistol said:

Just honouring his perm. I bet he’d love this thread 😀

Oh ask him about the question and answer piece he did in a program from the 1981/82 season. Every game they would ask a player various questions- fave meal/ fave band etc.

I always remember when it came to dislikes, he answered - cheeky kids 😂 

I may well have that programme, I'll try and dig it out and upload a photo if I get time. I remember once they'd got through the main squad players for those pieces, towards the end of the season they'd have to move on to the reserve and youth players. For some reason I remember Richard Beaumont having one, although I don't think he ever actually made a first team appearance.

12 minutes ago, alanharper said:

I may well have that programme, I'll try and dig it out and upload a photo if I get time. I remember once they'd got through the main squad players for those pieces, towards the end of the season they'd have to move on to the reserve and youth players. For some reason I remember Richard Beaumont having one, although I don't think he ever actually made a first team appearance.

I remember the Richard Beaumont one!  It was in the programme for the first ever game I went to which was Bolton at home. Still got it.  February 1982. Lost. No he didn't play for the first team. 

17 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

I remember the Richard Beaumont one!  It was in the programme for the first ever game I went to which was Bolton at home. Still got it.  February 1982. Lost. No he didn't play for the first team. 

I remember that game, think it was a night match and it lashed it down and we lost 1-0 in an awful game. I'd been going for a year at that point and it stood out because that was the first truly terrible game and performance I'd seen. Been quite a few more since then, mind!

4 hours ago, alanharper said:

I remember that game, think it was a night match and it lashed it down and we lost 1-0 in an awful game. I'd been going for a year at that point and it stood out because that was the first truly terrible game and performance I'd seen. Been quite a few more since then, mind!

Yes you are right.  It was a night match and they did lose 1-0.  Just looked up the crowd. It was 16,555 and then we were riding high in the same division we are now in under Big Jack. I was 7 years old and in the West Stand Upper.  I think away fans were standing below in the lower.  Peter and Paul Shirtliff both played(that can't have happened many times as Paul didn't play much) and Terry Curran was on the bench.

On 26/02/2020 at 17:11, Justbeanz said:

Trev's my brother in law. You lot better be careful here :ph34r:

I worked with his uncle Tommy at Acheson Electrodes 70's. I down to Hillsborough with Tommy to watch Trevor at Junior and reserve games. Never thought he was 6'4" though as stated; It may have been his Liverpool curls that were measured. Tommy too was a handy player but it was bro Reg who got the breaks for the Blades. Another Wednesday family making more of a mark across the City. Reg made almost 400 league appearances 149 of which were for the Blades 5" shorter than that stated for Trevor. Reg passed four years ago a real gent of the game RIP Reg.     

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I worked with his uncle Tommy at Acheson Electrodes 70's. I down to Hillsborough with Tommy to watch Trevor at Junior and reserve games. Never thought he was 6'4" though as stated; It may have been his Liverpool curls that were measured. Tommy too was a handy player but it was bro Reg who got the breaks for the Blades. Another Wednesday family making more of a mark across the City. Reg made almost 400 league appearances 149 of which were for the Blades 5" shorter than that stated for Trevor. Reg passed four years ago a real gent of the game RIP Reg.     

Lovely post Nev, thanks. Tommy was Trevor's dad though mate.

10 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Was ? Has Tommy passed then ?

Unfortunately yes. He died in 2001. Lovely bloke. Can remember when we all went down to Hillsborough to watch Trevor make his debut against QPR. He was the proudest man in the world but if you knew him you'd know he was also the harshest critic.

Edited by Justbeanz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Justbeanz said:

Unfortunately yes. He died in 2001. Lovely bloke. Can remember when we all went down to Hillsborough to watch Trevor make his debut against QPR. He was the proudest man in the world but if you knew him you'd know he was also the harshest critic.

RIP to Tommy, true about his character, he would give anyone a hand. We had a brief period trying to put together Achesons footy team that was fun lol   when I asked him to lend a hand with Walkley Cottage he politely declined. 

• Like 1

Good Herries lad was Trev. Good player too, couple of years below another Herries product Mark Smith. Think Winston Cambell who played for Barnsley was same year as trev too.

Went to plenty of away games where Trev was around in the mid 70's. 

2 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

The king of the big afro perm and one of the classiest deep-lying playmakers around in the late 80s and early 90s

Yeah

I know who it was, i just couldn't think of his name.