Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Guest LittleG
14 minutes ago, torres said:

Do they do this for other sports?

 

Rugby is really just a scrap on some grass! 

Don't see much heading in other ball based sports - rugby, basketball, golf, snooker. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:


You think you’ll see players with better heading ability than say Virgil van Dijk and Harry Maguire down the pyramid?

 

Do you know these lads names? We need to get them signed up

 

Those are the two standouts in the Prem ... and the fact that both are CBs is telling 

 

Its clear as day that players have been told foreheading the ball is safer. That's the way the game is going 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest LittleG
5 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

Another example of the pc brigade getting their own way and the world going mad

Yeah I was brought up on heading the old case ball, it's not affected me Doris. Half past three feck beans on toast nipplegripper bathtub no. 82 bus to middlewood. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, torres said:

Do they do this for other sports?

 

Rugby is really just a scrap on some grass! 

 

Yes.

 

NFL have already settled a lawsuit relating to head injuries in the sport, and a number of changes have been made to the rules in recent years to reduce the likelihood of head injuries either happening in the first place, or being exacerbated by returning to the game (concussion protocol).  They have also made a number of changes to the game at youth level, to try to protect kids from brain injuries.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, camffiti said:

 

Those are the two standouts in the Prem ... and the fact that both are CBs is telling 

 

Its clear as day that players have been told foreheading the ball is safer. That's the way the game is going 


I’d say it’s more down to the way the game is coached now at the top level. It’s about pressing, pace and possession rather than punting it long.

 

But heading is still a massive part of the game at the top level. Look at how much Liverpool have improved due to having a centre half who wins virtually every aerial dual

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s not just about centre halves.

There was no better sight in football than a measured cross from a winger nodded in by a centre forward who could time his jump to head a goal.

Denis Law,Wyn Davies,Frank Worthington, Nat Lofthouse and of recent times Cristiano Ronaldo.

Dixie Dean was supposed to be a bit good but I never saw him.

Teach kids of an appropriate age,say 11 and over how to head a ball.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Has anyone done the 'good job you're heading flyaways now and not casey balls' yet?

it would kill them , I remember well the lace tattoo on your head after the games ,  lol you had to blast the ball to get it off the floor lol 

Edited by trevdi9
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, room0035 said:

The outlawed tackling a few years back now no one knows how the tackle.

 

It just people jumping on a band wagon without having a clue - the footballers of the 60's headed what in todays game would be classed a brick of a ball noweverdays the balls are more fly away that heavy balls

 

See the source image

oooh my head , lol the reaction after seeing this picture lol 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Long overdue and coaches should welcome it.....personally when I coached an u11 team the biggest improvement I saw was when we told the kids not to head a ball kicked out of the keepers hands....previous to that all that happened was the kids would get themselves in position to head it, watch the ball coming out of the clouds and 9/10 at the last minute they’d bottle it and step forward so the ball went past them, or back so that it bounced over their heads......once we got them to step back, wait for the first bounce and then attack the ball with a header from a good position  we were 100x better.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Ian said:

Long overdue and coaches should welcome it.....personally when I coached an u11 team the biggest improvement I saw was when we told the kids not to head a ball kicked out of the keepers hands....previous to that all that happened was the kids would get themselves in position to head it, watch the ball coming out of the clouds and 9/10 at the last minute they’d bottle it and step forward so the ball went past them, or back so that it bounced over their heads......once we got them to step back, wait for the first bounce and then attack the ball with a header from a good position  we were 100x better.


After seeing the Birmingham equaliser on Saturday it looks like the Wednesday defence are still being coached this way

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, torres said:

Do they do this for other sports?

 

Rugby is really just a scrap on some grass! 

 

Yes.

 

Contact isn't allowed in youth rugby, nor is lifting in lineouts or contested scrums.

Edited by Minton
Link to post
Share on other sites

And yet we are encouraged to make Tyson Fury a national hero for deliberately and repeatedly punching another human being in the head with the intention of knocking him out. He is about to "earn" £100 million for saying he will (his own words) "put people to sleep".  In heading the ball there is no intention to hurt either yourself or someone else. Some have said it is only intended for youngsters but the age limit will be gradually increased . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

And yet we are encouraged to make Tyson Fury a national hero for deliberately and repeatedly punching another human being in the head with the intention of knocking him out. He is about to "earn" £100 million for saying he will (his own words) "put people to sleep".  In heading the ball there is no intention to hurt either yourself or someone else. Some have said it is only intended for youngsters but the age limit will be gradually increased . 


Major difference between an adult making an informed choice to participate in combat sport and a ten year old heading a football repeatedly because he doesn’t want to appear weak. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, torres said:

Do they do this for other sports?

 

Rugby is really just a scrap on some grass! 


For the first few years it’s just tag rugby for kids. Then it’s contact but not full on. Most kids don’t like tackling in rugby anyway at an early age.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Junk Smuggler said:


For the first few years it’s just tag rugby for kids. Then it’s contact but not full on. Most kids don’t like tackling in rugby anyway at an early age.

 

We did back in the 70s, twenty kids trying to kick the crap out of the games teachers, there was blood spilt.

 

They would be sacked nowadays.  They were quite brutal but very popular. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, room0035 said:

The outlawed tackling a few years back now no one knows how the tackle.

 

It just people jumping on a band wagon without having a clue - the footballers of the 60's headed what in todays game would be classed a brick of a ball noweverdays the balls are more fly away that heavy balls

 

See the source image

I played my first full game at 6 yrs old with a ball like this and my last at 48...always enjoyed heading the ball so up to now at 67 no real damage...although I did agree with guru once on here so it could be coming on lol

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...