Penney scores in Hamburg Derby

6 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Be amazed if he signs a new contract with us. Guess we’ll be due some small compensation again?

Unless he get's a more attractive offer from elsewhere, I fully expect him to sign a new contract with us.

16 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Why an earth did we let someone out on a season long loan that has 12 months left on his contract?

Usually well run clubs would get them to sign a new contract before going out on loan. 

Fox has not signed which seems strange so will probably need Penney for left back. He's a local lad but playing in that stadium or playing in league one it could be an ask for him to resign.

2 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

Please don't f*** this up contract wise Wednesday.

After producing next to nothing for years I remember watching the young uns about three years ago and thinking we had 4 lads who had a real chance , Wildsmith, Clare, Hirst and Penney...………...two have already left after barely any first team action for next to nothing , don't make the same mistake with this lad.

None of them are setting the world alight. Penney scores his first goal of a season long loan in the German 2nd division in February and all of a sudden he is someone we need to do everything to keep hold of. 

Hirst left to rule himself out of first team football at a decent level for a couple of years at least, Clare has been getting dogs abuse from the Hearts fan on here whose team are bottom of the SPL and Wildsmith can't get a look in for us when one keeper is frozen out and the other is averaging conceding nearly 2 goals per game in the league for the past two months. 

55 minutes ago, cowl said:

Unless he get's a more attractive offer from elsewhere, I fully expect him to sign a new contract with us.

I know what you mean, but that’s kind of obvious too. Are you saying you don’t think he’ll get a more attractive offer from elsewhere?

34 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I know what you mean, but that’s kind of obvious too. Are you saying you don’t think he’ll get a more attractive offer from elsewhere?

He may get them, of course, but I think that's less likely than him signing a new contract with us.

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

That is a premier league stadium must be at least 60,000 with the sides and tiers.

Rebuilt in early 2000's with the 2006 World Cup in mind. 57K capacity, to all extents and purposes Hamburg are a top flight club playing in the 2nd division, bit like when Newcastle spend time in the Championship. West Ham could have a 60K capacity stadium in the Championship next season.

It's not as if it is like that every week in the German 2nd division though, 7 clubs average over 20K, St Pauli are one of them with an average around 29K. 10 clubs average less than 15K.

26 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

St Pauli vs. Osnabruck next.

Penney vs. Van Aken. 

Interesting Joost Van Aken has also scored 1 goal in the German 2nd division this season and is playing regularly for a club that are doing better than St Pauli. Should we also be doing everything we can to keep hold of such a talent based on this?

9 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Interesting Joost Van Aken has also scored 1 goal in the German 2nd division this season and is playing regularly for a club that are doing better than St Pauli. Should we also be doing everything we can to keep hold of such a talent based on this?

We don't have to do anything though since he's got another year.

3 minutes ago, cowl said:

We don't have to do anything though since he's got another year.

And everyone is delighted about that right and think he is a real prospect for our future?

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

And everyone is delighted about that right and think he is a real prospect for our future?

No, they're different players.

Amongst a number of our fans there seems to be more regard for Penney than for van Aken, based, presumably on what they've seen of both players - since, after all, we have all seen both players play a number of first team games.

Similarly, there was more regard for Thorniley than for Baker, and the regret some had for Thorniley leaving in January seemed to be more than that for Baker leaving.

I'm not really sure what point you're driving at here.

Just now, cowl said:

Amongst a number of our fans there seems to be more regard for Penney than for van Aken, based, presumably on what they've seen of both players - since, after all, we have all seen both players play a number of first team games.

Similarly, there was more regard for Thorniley than for Baker, and the regret some had for Thorniley leaving in January seemed to be more than that for Baker leaving.

The point I am making is that both have been little better than average at best for us. Van Aken has been worse overall I agree but there has been nothing to suggest that Penney is some great prospect worth holding onto as some make out. He isn't a kid anymore in terms of when footballers develop into 1st team players these days.

Both lost their way at Hillsborough and went out to find some form and 1st team football. St Pauli were expected to do better than Van Aken's club but are behind them in the table and Van Aken is laying regularly. 

Penney seems to be afforded more time to come good and hope based on the fact he comes from the academy rather than what both are currently producing. You'd be hard pushed to find anything positive about Van Aken on here whereas some say it is disgraceful that Penney isn't tied down for years to come. 

6 minutes ago, cowl said:

I think the fact JVA cost a reported 4 million makes it even more annoying he has looked so poor for us. 

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

I think the fact JVA cost a reported 4 million makes it even more annoying he has looked so poor for us. 

For the millionth and seventy-second time, he did not cost 4 million. This is an Owlstalk myth. He cost a couple of million and has been a very poor transfer, but he cost nowhere near 4 million anythings.