Tactics Absolutely Bang On!

30 minutes ago, 1867_OWL said:

All things said and done will you now please stay? 

lol

(I'm just another typical idiot Owlstalk poster)

The fact that he changed the tactics at half-time suggested not.

Also can't formulate any tactics on how to hold onto a results in the closing stages.

We caused plenty of problems. Problem was we didn’t kill the game off. 

Defence has been horrendous no matter who plays out of Lees, Borner and Iorfa. Centre back and centre midfield are huge problem areas. We lack a strong spine. 

• Thanks 1

Maybe it's not the tatics that are wrong, but the way they are carried out. I'm certainly no lover of the tactic of pulling everyone back into the box, because , as has been said, there is no one up field to receive a clearance, and it immediately comes back into the box. This was my main complaint in Brian Laws' era. It just does not make sense. If they want to hoof the ball out of the penalty area, then put it into the stands, preferably the back.;

19 hours ago, 0114 said:

We caused plenty of problems. Problem was we didn’t kill the game off. 

Defence has been horrendous no matter who plays out of Lees, Borner and Iorfa. Centre back and centre midfield are huge problem areas. We lack a strong spine. 

Borner and Iorfa were arguably two of our best players this season up until January so I think you’re being harsh there. Though midfield has been a problem and will continue to be until we can move players on. I’m still 50/50 on whether or not we should try to move Bannan on? I expect if Fletcher plays more regularly between now and the end of the season, Bannan will be more productive.

Edited by Great Big Galaa

39 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Borner and Iorfa were arguably two of our best players this season up until January so I think you’re being harsh there. Though midfield has been a problem and will continue to be until we can move players on. I’m still 50/50 on whether or not we should try to move Bannan on? I expect if Fletcher plays more regularly between now and the end of the season, Bannan will be more productive.

This is a complete myth about Iorfa and Borner before January.

Last 4 wins before January all had Iorfa and Lees as the CB pairing.

Bristol 1-0

Forest 4-0

Brentford 2-1

Charlton 3-1

Clean sheets before January, you have to go back to October 22nd for one that include Borner.

20 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The fact that he changed the tactics at half-time suggested not.

Also can't formulate any tactics on how to hold onto a results in the closing stages.

Yes, getting defenders who can defend, head the ball and not poo themselves when they get the ball to feet.

I don’t think there was anything wrong with our tactics.

Fox and Fletcher were obviously not up to playing 90 mins and with a lot of games to come no problem with them only getting 45 mins.

Also pleased he went without the loan players. Perhaps Wickham could have started but while Windass and Da Cruz are different to what we have the directness and pace of Murphy and Harris definitely caused them a lot of problems.

The defence struggled in a way but it was a severe test under a long ball, long throw aerial bombardment. Made our tactics under Monk like total football.

Jutkiwiez is probably the best striker in the league in the air, a real handful.

We played more football than we have for a while and should have won but we all knew what was coming after Murphy missed the one on one.

12 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Love to know how many long throws they hurled into our box.

Too many, although you probably can't do an awful lot against that. You could have informed the side before hand so everyone was well aware of who they were picking up, leaving no-one free. You could in the brief tell the side not to give away silly throw in's. Problem is we don't know what was said pre match. It did seem to cause a lot of panic though at times.