18 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Windass is more a wide attacking midfield or a number ten. Can’t really play Cm. If that’s the case you’d be including Forestieri as a Cm 

I’m not saying it’s how you’d want to use him if you didn’t need to, but we’re low on options and he’s probably a better one that using one of the u23’s. 
he’s got a bit of height and strength, so a better option than FF, who I agree, wouldn’t be any good as a CM.

1 hour ago, jonnyowl said:

It's a simple fix but he wont do it.

Play 3 in the middle with Hutchinson holding.

Bannan to play further forward.

Plus another, either Lee, Hunt or Luongo when fit.

You would think, yes

46 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Windass isn’t a Cm player he’s a number 10. 

Going on what I've seen so far, I ain't got a Ruddy clue what he is.. same goes for Da Cruz.

1 hour ago, prowl said:

I'm trying to be positive.lol

If we go down that road where do we stop. I'd keep Iorfa, Borner and maybe Fox, Luongo if he can keep fit, Reach maybe and after that I'm struggling. Fletcher would be on the list but I'm not sure how much he's got left in his tank.

Aye, looks like a summer of massive change coming up, if we get relegated.

Stay up and I think it'll be a slightly more cautious changing of the squad.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

The results say otherwise.

Our results with and without Luongo are quite revealing about how much we miss him. By contrast, we did slightly better without Hutch than with him Upto Christmas.

(No point comparing anything after Christmas because in Fletcher’s absence we have fallen apart.)

The big difference, for me, since Christmas Day, is how lethargic the team looks.

There's no urgency, nobody anticipates where the second ball will drop, no-ones on their toes waiting for THAT opportunity,

lack of running in to space expecting a pass and no closing down the opposition as a unit, or individually - it drives me mad.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Thought I’d make a change from the managerial situation and have a discussion on the biggest issue in our team... central midfield.

For a long time now this has been our problem area. Doesn’t matter if we play two or three doesn’t matter who plays we always get overrun.

I personally think Bannan is the problem as he is not a central midfielder but we have tried to accommodate him there which is why we have not signed the midfield ‘beast’ we have needed since Wembley. For as good of a player Bannan is (not at the moment he’s bloody useless) he shouldn’t be played there should be out left or behind a striker.

So if you look at our options there not good:

Hutchinson - the best one we have imo is exiled.

Bannan - as above not a Cm player.

Luongo - injured.

Lee - not the player he was.

Pelupessy - terrible.

Are any of the young lads able to step up??? Hunt Waldock Shaw ??

I'd have to go Lee and Bannan today (brum). Even in that first Wembley season, we got outmuscled when Hutch wasn't playing and then got frighteningly outmuscled at Wembley even with him in. I don't personally feel we've got nearly enough about us in CM and agree Bannan can be too much of a luxury when it comes to a battle. 

Pelupessy - I just don't know why we signed him. I've never seen anything better than a 6/10 performance and usually it's worse, we can't afford to carry players like this. I'm sure he's a nice lad and tries hard and even does what the manager asks but it's not good enough for this league. 

CM is the priority for sorting out IMO 

1 hour ago, Bulgaria said:

Going on what I've seen so far, I ain't got a Ruddy clue what he is.. same goes for Da Cruz.

Yes, so far, it’s looking like a wasted window. Wickham is clearly unfit, and will he regain fitness before Fletcher returns. Don’t think Windass was what was needed, invisible as a midfield player, and lacks the awareness to be a ten at this level. Da Cruz, obviously he was brought in to score the goals from wide areas. Will he have time to adjust to the English Championship

I think windass will work out OK. He is trying to play between lines that the other players don’t know how to make . He will settle and be OK.

Wickham looks shot.

da Cruz looks to be a strong fit athlete but a mile short quality wise.

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, so far, it’s looking like a wasted window. Wickham is clearly unfit, and will he regain fitness before Fletcher returns. Don’t think Windass was what was needed, invisible as a midfield player, and lacks the awareness to be a ten at this level. Da Cruz, obviously he was brought in to score the goals from wide areas. Will he have time to adjust to the English Championship

Of course it's too early to judge but going on what we have seen so far, all 3 seem to have actually made us play worse!!

Only Wednesday could sign 3 new players and look worse.

2 hours ago, Yellowbelly said:

Carlos’ system was quite clever really. The centre halves had the protection of Hutch which allowed the full backs to play further forward which then gave Bannan & Wallace the opportunity to come inside, outnumbering the oppos midfield. 442 but more fluid and attacking.

You had better whisper any praise for Carlos very quietly.

lol

Even though you are right he is the only one that seems to have got the best out of what alot of people think are our two best players. Bannan and Forestieri.

4 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Desperate for central midfield quality and we sign 3 misfits 

great recruiting 

It really was bizarre, Wickham I could understand as a direct replacement for Fletcher, but he's clearly not match fit. Why did we need Windass? Insurance policies against injuries is all well and good, but central midfield was the main issue. Again nothing, particularly as Monk's fallen out with Hutch.

It would be interesting to understand if these were Monk's choice or there's someone else arranging these signings. If Monk, it doesn't look good.

3 hours ago, Fuzzy logics said:

I agree with the OP that central midfield has been our biggest issue this season.

Personally I think its worth trying Iorfa as a proper CDM in a 4132 formation, cant get any worse...can it?

Take it you haven’t seen Iorfas first touch?

46 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

You had better whisper any praise for Carlos very quietly.

lol

Even though you are right he is the only one that seems to have got the best out of what alot of people think are our two best players. Bannan and Forestieri.

That was 4 years ago it’s irrelevant to how the players are now. FF had a one off good season and bannan has decided to only play in areas of the pitch where he can be as ineffective as possible.

2 minutes ago, 83owl said:

That was 4 years ago it’s irrelevant to how the players are now. FF had a one off good season and bannan has decided to only play in areas of the pitch where he can be as ineffective as possible.

True but Carlos realised that this was the case so moved him out of the areas he was ineffective in.

2 hours ago, Yellowbelly said:

Carlos’ system was quite clever really. The centre halves had the protection of Hutch which allowed the full backs to play further forward which then gave Bannan & Wallace the opportunity to come inside, outnumbering the oppos midfield. 442 but more fluid and attacking.

All well and good when you have more athletic full backs. Hunt and Pudil early on got forward and were able to get back as well.
Fox does ok and can actually cross but Palmer looks absolutely knackered from minute 1 and I can’t remember a single assist from him at full back in his whole time here.

12 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Joey frustrates Rooney all afternoon. 

Rooney gets a red for tvvating Joey after 75.

Joey converts the resulting pen with a Panenka.

Pile on.

You must be on drugs

• Haha 1

Looking at today's game, we can have whomever in central midfield and it still wont work. We are so slow, both to show up far the ball and to close down. Improvements are needed all over the pitch or total change in aproach.

• Like 1