Thought I’d make a change from the managerial situation and have a discussion on the biggest issue in our team... central midfield.

For a long time now this has been our problem area. Doesn’t matter if we play two or three doesn’t matter who plays we always get overrun.

I personally think Bannan is the problem as he is not a central midfielder but we have tried to accommodate him there which is why we have not signed the midfield ‘beast’ we have needed since Wembley. For as good of a player Bannan is (not at the moment he’s bloody useless) he shouldn’t be played there should be out left or behind a striker.

So if you look at our options there not good:

Hutchinson - the best one we have imo is exiled.

Bannan - as above not a Cm player.

Luongo - injured.

Lee - not the player he was.

Pelupessy - terrible.

Are any of the young lads able to step up??? Hunt Waldock Shaw ??

Our centre midfield options are a joke. I’ve got arthritis in both knees and I’d still fancy my chances against them. The fact you have highlighted a centre back as our most important midfielder tells you everything you need to know.  

Probably the most important part of the team but it’s been seriously neglected. I’ve lost count of the amount of strikers and forwards we have but they’re no use when we can’t get/keep the ball.

Wouldn’t surprise me if in 2 years time we still have the same group of players in midfield. Owls talk still in meltdown saying bannan is one of the best in the league, Pelupessy is L1 standard, Lee needs more games to get fit and we aren’t the same without Hutchinson.

• Agree 4

It really isn't the best environment to be introducing young professionals into. Agree our options are limited but starting a young un at the moment with things as they are could really knock their confidence and set them back years. Disgusting that we've got ourselves into this position. 

• Agree 3

It's a simple fix but he wont do it.

Play 3 in the middle with Hutchinson holding.

Bannan to play further forward.

Plus another, either Lee, Hunt or Luongo when fit.

Edited by jonnyowl
  • Agree 7

For me, Luongo is a huge loss.

He plays well, and helps Bannan play well.

In his absence (and Reach's), Lee, Bannan and Pelupessy in a 3 could work. 2 of Forestieri, Harris and Murphy wide, supporting Wickham.

Also, Bannan isnt useless. He's proven himself year after year - sounds like he's been playing through injury too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

If only Luongo wasn't injured. Our strongest combination, should involve Luongo. 

Hutchinson holding, Luongo box to box and Windass or Bannan further forward of the three, would be my preference but Pelupessy, Luongo and Windass or Bannan could work too.

To get the best out of Bannan he needs to be in a three-man midfield (and venturing no-where near our defenders for the ball)

or, to have a six-foot plus, athletic CM partner (a la Carlton Palmer) alongside him - out of what we have, Iorfa could fit this bill.

Apart from Hutchinson, the CM's we have are too light-weight.

• Agree 3

I agree with the OP that central midfield has been our biggest issue this season.

Personally I think its worth trying Iorfa as a proper CDM in a 4132 formation, cant get any worse...can it?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Looking forward to the battle next weekend of Rooney, one of the all time greats, Manchester United and England’s all time record goal scorer and winner of multiple leagues, cups and European trophy’s, vs Joey P.

Why are people talking about Windass like he's a centre-mid? He really isn't. He's a forward. Said himself left Rangers because he wanted to play no.9. He's another Forestieri-type wanting to play off a centre-forward. 

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Finney on the Wing said:

To get the best out of Bannan he needs to be in a three-man midfield (and venturing no-where near our defenders for the ball)

or, to have a six-foot plus, athletic CM partner (a la Carlton Palmer) alongside him - out of what we have, Iorfa could fit this bill.

Apart from Hutchinson, the CM's we have are too light-weight.

Bannan-Luongo works well.

Central midfield is - and has been - a problem for years. We've never had the right blend of ingredients required. Agree that a midfield 3 of Hutch, Bannan, and Luongo the best probable combo we've got - but that ain't gonna happen.

The ironic hypocrisy of Monk's reason for his decision re.Hutch...Luongo would play despite his availability being far worse than Sam's.

11 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Looking forward to the battle next weekend of Rooney, one of the all time greats, Manchester United and England’s all time record goal scorer and winner of multiple leagues, cups and European trophy’s, vs Joey P.

Joey frustrates Rooney all afternoon. 

Rooney gets a red for tvvating Joey after 75.

Joey converts the resulting pen with a Panenka.

Pile on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, wilyfox said:

Central midfield is - and has been - a problem for years. We've never had the right blend of ingredients required. Agree that a midfield 3 of Hutch, Bannan, and Luongo the best probable combo we've got - but that ain't gonna happen.

The ironic hypocrisy of Monk's reason for his decision re.Hutch...Luongo would play despite his availability being far worse than Sam's.

Monk can’t win though can he?

Play 3 CMs and 75% of OT slam him for being negative only playing one striker.

Play 2 strikers and 75% slam him for a weak central midfield.

(I know 75% + 75% = 150% but many of us change with the wind)

And btw it’s not true that we do better in 433. 

• Agree 2

Is a "midfield beast" still a thing?

• Agree 1

Just now, Burnsie said:

Is a "midfield beast" still a thing?

On OT

We need wingers who can also tackle. I know they are a rare breed but that would allow them to tuck in when we don't have the ball and that would give us a more compact shape. At present they stay too wide and there are gaping holes in the middle.

20 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Bannan-Luongo works well.

Not too sure about that, Holmowl - Luongo, to me, is more of an attacking midfielder and Bannan the play-maker.

There's not much protection for the defence if it was just those two - Hutch behind them, definitely yes.