Forestieri and Wickham

Guest Grandad

2 hours ago, Grandad said:

Seen every minute Cruz has played so far and don't understand his signing at all

Monk said he was a striker but not sure he has played as a proper forward for us yet. He has played wide and off the front and tried to get involved by dropping deep, might be more effective if he played closer to the opposition goal but then we would have to get the ball to him.  

40 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Just to add balance...

Forest away 

CM Luongo Bannan

Charlton away

CM for 70 mins Hutch Bannan 1-1

CM for 20 mins Luongo Bannan finished 3-1

Boro away

CM for 40 mins Hutch-Bannan 4-1

CM for 50 mins Luongo Bannan finished 4-1

My point is that 442 can work fine, and Hutch is good but far from pivotal.

All well and good but all of the above feature Luongo and he has a more problematic injury record than Hutchinson this season.

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Agree it was working and it worked last year when Hutchinson and Bannan were playing in it under Bruce but they (especially Hutch) we’re playing much higher up the park. I think Monk is the the problem he’s too negative 

I don’t think this is the case.

I haven’t missed many games this season and a lot of times when we have played a two with Hutch in midfield we have started with the two midfielders trying to play high but Hutch inevitably reverts to type and drops deep.

Monk knows how midfielders need to play in a 442, he played it for a full season at Birmingham.

The problem is once a player is on the pitch it is difficult for him not to do what comes natural, in Hutch’s case this is to drop deep.

3 hours ago, Grandad said:

CW not really looked fit yet, but I'd definitely give this a go in a 4-4-2... And while Reach is injured get Harris and Murphy wide

Looks like we are stuck with Pelepussy if Luongo not fit so I'm still not convinced it would work for us though

Who would you play as the front two though?

I know Monk has tried Forestieri at wing-back but a think pairing him and Wickham at CB is pushing it a bit! :1276983839_MonkHome: 

51 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Just to add balance...

Forest away 

CM Luongo Bannan

Charlton away

CM for 70 mins Hutch Bannan 1-1

CM for 20 mins Luongo Bannan finished 3-1

Boro away

CM for 40 mins Hutch-Bannan 4-1

CM for 50 mins Luongo Bannan finished 4-1

My point is that 442 can work fine, and Hutch is good but far from pivotal.

Stats can be manipulated If you watch games regardless of the results we get overrun in midfield  

12 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

I don’t think this is the case.

I haven’t missed many games this season and a lot of times when we have played a two with Hutch in midfield we have started with the two midfielders trying to play high but Hutch inevitably reverts to type and drops deep.

Monk knows how midfielders need to play in a 442, he played it for a full season at Birmingham.

The problem is once a player is on the pitch it is difficult for him not to do what comes natural, in Hutch’s case this is to drop deep.

Maybe hutch has reverted back to type but Bannan is deeper in most games and starts that way. That is defo tactical.

26 minutes ago, prowl said:

Potential I think.  Give him time to adjust to our game and he could come good.

One for next season I think, not what we need right now. Myrphy looks a better option at present but Da Cruz could be one for the future. I keep seeing ability in his play but he seems to be playing a different game to the rest of the team.

Yes. Table tennis

5 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Maybe hutch has reverted back to type but Bannan is deeper in most games and starts that way. That is defo tactical.

Bannan is Bannan.

He goes where he can get on the ball . He can’t win tackles so if pressured by the opposition he just drops to wherever the space is, ie deeper and deeper.

15 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Stats can be manipulated If you watch games regardless of the results we get overrun in midfield  

Stats can’t be manipulated when you base them on results not opinion.

Edited by Holmowl

20 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

That’s not true.

Remember when someone on here used to post those heat map thingies? Hutch was as far back as our CBs. 

Guest Bulgaria
3 hours ago, Grandad said:

Seen every minute Cruz has played so far and don't understand his signing at all

Your not alone.

He runs about a bit though.

Can see him on the bench today.

5 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Will we match them up being away from home?

Bela            Gardner            Sunjic      Bellingham

Foresrieri     Bannan             Lee        Murphy         

Crowley

Pelupessy

If we do I hope we match them up better than you have done! :ghoulguy:

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

Que!?

Perhaps its a laptop/mobile view thing but on the screen I am looking at the players aren't 'matched up'. Lots of space for Bela & Gardner and Lee & Murphy to exploit down either side.

10 hours ago, Grandad said:

CW not really looked fit yet, but I'd definitely give this a go in a 4-4-2... And while Reach is injured get Harris and Murphy wide

We definitely looked our most convincing today with Wickham & FF up front in a 4-4-2 - with Harris and Murphy wide

And Pelupessy off the pitch

Fancy that!!! 😂