1988 - Jumping Jack Flashback...

4 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I'm 61 with a beer belly

I only buy shirts to upset the cool kids and @hirstyboywonder

You won't upset me mate, just that some of these shirts didn't look good when they were original, they ain't gonna look any better with 30 years more worth of waistline underneath them! 

The problem lies with this kit not just in that it was a totally left field, garish combo of Ascot grey and puce. It presided over a period where we went from being FA Cup semi finalists and notional UEFA cup qualification candidates (but of course we were banned) and top 5 material to relegation dog meat in two years. 
I have very uncomfortable memories of watching us getting utterly rinsed at Goodison 4-0 twice. Those silky shorts were unfeasably tight on Lawrie Madden’s rear end. West, Cranson  and the others were not players we wanted to see after what we had built from 83-86. The 88-89 team reached a new level of ineptitude and was truly a relegation side. I loved Wilkinson but after this lot I never would have believed that he could build a title winning side. I always thought he could with us (honestly) until 86, but I was just a teenager.

The kit is a shocker in every regard and anyone who watched that era would not cherish it.

And the same goes for the thin striped Finlux home shirt followed.