Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I guess some will argue that in this day and age social media is the most effective way of communicating with a wide audience and can very much be used for positive reasons so why should they be excluded just because they are in the public eye?

 

As you say, being in the public eye leaves you open to abuse from numpties regardless of what you do so maybe it is a small price to pay to give social media a miss if you are likely to be upset by what you may see.

As for having an anonymous account, that would decrease the chances of seeing personally directed abuse but I would imagine if you were in the news and using the internet in any way there would be a temptation to look at what people are saying about you and you can't un-see it once you've had a glimpse.   

 

That's how I feel about this Star article. I just want to go back to a time before I knew about ?&amp.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

 

I dont fully understand this. If a player cant rise above a bit of stick from the crowd then he is no good to us.

Think players have to expect some stick from the crowd after recent awful performances. 
 

 

I would think most players can look past it, but can their families?   

 

It starts online but the ripples, ripple. 

 

The kids at school getting bullied at school if dad missed an open goal etc.

 

The snide remarks made to their spouses when they are out and about.

 

More to it than meets the eye.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SiJ said:

It is a small minority of idiots and you get them at every football club. 

 

Twitter is ripe for that kind of stuff as the moderation on that site is woeful. 

 

I have no idea why any professional footballer bothers with it tbh. 

 

Surely they should be able to bother with it, seems like we are penalising the victim instead of the perpetrator.

 

I do know where you are coming from though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest LittleG
44 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Sorry I am taking more of a scientific, approach to this. In a sport where you want everybody to pull together in the same direction, those that pull the other way are not helping, they are either holding you back, slowing you down, or in a tug of war say, they would actually be workng against you. I love it when the opposition fans are having a go at their team, ut usuaoly means we are winning.

No problem, I Understand your anger and frustration towards these so called fans but just think its not a case of them holding the club back and there are more urgent issues to address within the club. Get those right and any potential problems with fans will then be on a back burner. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grandad said:

People mopaning about social media - but without it you'd never be party to amazing scoops like this

 

 

 

Im calling Bullshine 

 

No one ever goes to Barlborough 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

It’s as bad on here. The number of “the world is ending” threads and hateful posts on here the past few weeks has been ridiculous. I’ve barely bothered to look at it, as all it does is give me negative feelings towards the club I adore.


Social media should be banned

Edited by Rogers
Link to post
Share on other sites

Think it is pretty much clickbait journalism to try and crowbar the suicide of a TV presenter into an article about fans criticism of football players.

 

 

As harsh as some criticism of some footballers is online, it is important to remember that the players aren't being held hostage here. It is the passion of the fans for the game that in turn generates the crowds and interests in players, and in turn generates their multi-million pound contracts. The players knew about the role of the fans when they started playing football and it will never change so long as fans continue showing up to watch football*. Usually they are more than happy to pander to this relationship with the fans when the boot is on the other foot and they are playing well/the fans are on their side.

 

Westwood, or any other player, are free to cancel their contract tomorrow if they don't like the criticism from fans that comes with being a footballer. What is a bit rich is accepting the £30k or however much it is a week to play for the football club, then refusing to play/creating a situation where the manager feels he has to exclude you from the matchday squad, and then refusing to accept that the criticism from the fans (who essentially pay their wages) is valid. Like I say, Westwood could cancel his contract tomorrow and walk away no hard feelings. Particularly as he is playing for a club crippled by FFP and facing a huge points deduction this season. But he's chosen not to do that.

 

*obviously this doesn't apply to every situation - i.e. the more mendacious criticism with racial overtones that footballers often face, but this isn't the case of Westwood

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

It’s as bad on here. The number of “the world is ending” threads and hateful posts on here the past few weeks has been ridiculous. I’ve barely bothered to look at it, as all it does is give me negative feelings towards the club I adore.


Can we save this post for when DC has had enough of keeping us afloat. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

It’s as bad on here. The number of “the world is ending” threads and hateful posts on here the past few weeks has been ridiculous. I’ve barely bothered to look at it, as all it does is give me negative feelings towards the club I adore.

It only gives me negative feelings against the Muppets posting so much poo .

I love my club and always will regardless of what happens on the pitch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Animis said:

 

I think you have to differentiate between abuse and constructive criticism.

 

My personal view on Pelupessy is long held, in that he's a poor championship player who offers little to the team - creates little and has no presence in the midfield. He'll either go back to league 2 in Holland or if he stays in England drift off into league 1 (hopefully not with us). Whether he's our worst performer is very subjective - not sure what criteria the 'whoscored' rankings is based.

 

That's my considered opinion of him. We should be able to express this without being labelled 'haters' and trolls or whatever. Yes, his presence in the team, like Nuihu, is because of poor management above him.

 

It's a tuff business and whilst interaction with the general public is expected, there are many loons out there who for whatever reason or motivation want to disrupt. The club have a duty of care to protect them as employees, and that's as good as it gets.

You mention constructive criticism but then criticise without being constructive.

 

You could have said Pelupessy has poor positional sense and I think the coaches should drill him on how to take the best position in certain circumstances,. If they did that he would provide better cover for the defence.

 

Basically identify a problem and suggest a way to overcome it. Just giving your personal opinion of a players failings isn't being constructive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Think it is pretty much clickbait journalism to try and crowbar the suicide of a TV presenter into an article about fans criticism of football players.

 

 

As harsh as some criticism of some footballers is online, it is important to remember that the players aren't being held hostage here. It is the passion of the fans for the game that in turn generates the crowds and interests in players, and in turn generates their multi-million pound contracts. The players knew about the role of the fans when they started playing football and it will never change so long as fans continue showing up to watch football*. Usually they are more than happy to pander to this relationship with the fans when the boot is on the other foot and they are playing well/the fans are on their side.

 

Westwood, or any other player, are free to cancel their contract tomorrow if they don't like the criticism from fans that comes with being a footballer. What is a bit rich is accepting the £30k or however much it is a week to play for the football club, then refusing to play/creating a situation where the manager feels he has to exclude you from the matchday squad, and then refusing to accept that the criticism from the fans (who essentially pay their wages) is valid. Like I say, Westwood could cancel his contract tomorrow and walk away no hard feelings. Particularly as he is playing for a club crippled by FFP and facing a huge points deduction this season. But he's chosen not to do that.

 

*obviously this doesn't apply to every situation - i.e. the more mendacious criticism with racial overtones that footballers often face, but this isn't the case of Westwood

 

Always amazes that the victim has to suffer the consequences, shouldn't we cancel the perpetrators social media account instead? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

 

Always amazes that the victim has to suffer the consequences, shouldn't we cancel the perpetrators social media account instead? 

 

It depends what is said. If something is libellous, racist, death threats, etc - yes, of course, that's what the law is there for. But I don't see why fans aren't available to call out a player for poor performances, lack of commitment, and even a bit of industrial language is nothing different to what you would hear on the terraces.

 

I've not read what was said in this instance, but what I hope it isn't is using the tragic (and completely unrelated) death of a TV presenter to shut down perfectly legitimate criticism of a player paid £30k per week to play football and who has effectively not turned up to work for 3 months.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, prowl said:

You mention constructive criticism but then criticise without being constructive.

 

You could have said Pelupessy has poor positional sense and I think the coaches should drill him on how to take the best position in certain circumstances,. If they did that he would provide better cover for the defence.

 

Basically identify a problem and suggest a way to overcome it. Just giving your personal opinion of a players failings isn't being constructive.

Personally, I don't see why it has to be constructive. You write as if all Pelupessy needs is a little bit more coaching and he will become a top-level championship player. If it was that easy we would have done it already. Some players aren't going to be good enough no matter how much constructive advice they get from the coaches, and there is nothing wrong with the fans pointing this out. For instance, all the coaching in the world won't make Nuhiu quick, or Pelupessy for that matter creative on the ball.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Emerson Thome said:

 

It depends what is said. If something is libellous, racist, death threats, etc - yes, of course, that's what the law is there for. But I don't see why fans aren't available to call out a player for poor performances, lack of commitment, and even a bit of industrial language is nothing different to what you would hear on the terraces.

 

I've not read what was said in this instance, but what I hope it isn't is using the tragic (and completely unrelated) death of a TV presenter to shut down perfectly legitimate criticism of a player paid £30k per week to play football and who has effectively not turned up to work for 3 months.

 

 

None of us known what effect its having on his family, or himself.  

 

Imagine a 10 year old getting to know about abuse they parents suffered online including industrial language.   You wouldn't be surprised if it played heavily on their mind. 

 

No need for it.

 

Be critical without the spite.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It amazes me people still post that social media should not affect players performance on the pitch. The press has is and will continue to publish stories on people who are in or out of the media that have taken their own life due to the fear of social media. 

The culture of the Internet and social media has a strange affect on perfectly normal everyday people is huge. 

I was staggered when my wife was in tears for nothing more than a negative feedback on a ebay item that she sold. For some reason which I don't think any one really understands properly. Comments on the Internet have a massive effect on the persons feelings. 

Some of the stuff that I have read about swfc from so called supporters is embarrassing. We definitely have a our fair share of wallies

Link to post
Share on other sites

It does make me wonder why they are all so keen to be on social media. Take someone like Alastair Cook who basically didn't give a t0ss about twitter, facebook, instagram, etc and had a very successful 13 year international career in cricket, gaining a reputation for having great mental reserves of concentration. The cynic in me could say that players with successful social media accounts receive more money for sponsorship, but think that's more on the Paul Pogba level than SWFC players. I think there's also the herd mentality in footballers that they tend to do what all the other players do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LittleG said:

No problem, I Understand your anger and frustration towards these so called fans but just think its not a case of them holding the club back and there are more urgent issues to address within the club. Get those right and any potential problems with fans will then be on a back burner. 

 

I agree with you 100%, but unless I have enough money to buy DC out and settle the debt I am not going to have any influence on our club's future. As fans though, we can change small things and because there are 20 odd thousand of us, those changes can effect the mood of the crowd and influence the game. The home crowd really can be like an extra man and that can drive the players on. Cant anybody remember how we urged the team on the last time we got promoted? The atmosphere was amazing and the players were dead on their legs, but were driven on by the crowd. Now we are driven back by the negativity right from the kick off. The atmosphere at Hillsborough is fragile to say the least. Sorry I haven't got £160M but I can shout and cheer, sing and bounce til I drop and so can everybody. "Lets pretend that we've just scored" and all that!

 

garymegson   

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Animis said:

 

I think you have to differentiate between abuse and constructive criticism.

 

My personal view on Pelupessy is long held, in that he's a poor championship player who offers little to the team - creates little and has no presence in the midfield. He'll either go back to league 2 in Holland or if he stays in England drift off into league 1 (hopefully not with us). Whether he's our worst performer is very subjective - not sure what criteria the 'whoscored' rankings is based.

 

That's my considered opinion of him. We should be able to express this without being labelled 'haters' and trolls or whatever. Yes, his presence in the team, like Nuihu, is because of poor management above him.

 

It's a tuff business and whilst interaction with the general public is expected, there are many loons out there who for whatever reason or motivation want to disrupt. The club have a duty of care to protect them as employees, and that's as good as it gets.

Expressing your opinion on here though is very different to sending abusive tweets! Anybody would think the lad had been saying how much he hated the club! I am not particularly mad about him either but he does not deserve the hatred aimed at him on twitter. He couldnt care a t0ss about what we write on here, same for Westwood etc, but twitter, facebook etc can be used to direct hateful messages to individuals, good grief some of you lot just wake up and get ready to get offended dont you!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...