The timing of all this

40 minutes ago, darra said:

The thing about Hutchinson is it's Hutchinson bingo every game these days. Take your pick from picking up an injury a yellow card a red card or all three. A great servant to the club and would be sad to see him go would be great to use him as a mentor to the young players but looks like it's not to be.

Stats certainly show the bookings (10) but given that he tackles more aggressively than most of our players that is not surprising. What may be interesting though is he has less red cards than Luongo and has played nearly twice as many games despite being frozen out for a number. It is quite obvious at this point in time he is fitter than Luongo and dare I say it a much better sitting midfielder, quicker stronger more desire. That desire dislike of losing though may manifest in him having a rant and upset the ones who just want to turn up for a game of football.

I hope Massimo can prove me wrong but much as with Kadeem Harris when the novelty wears off we may see that he is no world beater.

5 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

But what about the timing of it?

Why not wait until the end of the season? If we somehow had scrambled to promotion it's an easy one- they're not PL standard and Hutch is out of contract anyway. Anything else and breaking up the 'old squad' is a valid argument, but mid season of a (at that point) relatively successful one?

It seems when this was decided we were in a healthy position, but the effects of whatever has gone on are plain to see.

Our season has capitulated. Maybe it's just coincidence, but it certainly hasn't helped.

was the timing seen as a natural break with both being out of the team? 

Maybe not the best timining maybe not the right way to do it.

3 minutes ago, VBQ24 said:

I would imagine there was a bust up after the game on Boxing Day. Conceding two goals in added time and throwing away more points likely led to high tensions. 

I could quite easily envisage that, a number of us would probably have a rant if we lost an eleven or five a side match that we should have won.

I suppose it depends (pure supposition) on if he had a meltdown did he criticize other players or question the managers tactics. If he questioned the tactics you could well imagine Monk might freeze him out and use fitness as the excuse.

15 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

I am.going to take at face value the comments that he's made in the press conference today re Hutch and Westwood.

If Monk's comments are to be believed the reason behind the freezing out of these 2 is down to their inability to remain fit and available.

Taking into account Hutchinson played in the wins over Charlton and Brentford before picking up a suspension after his booking at Derby we can only assume this epiphany occurred around mid December with the team sat comfortably in contention for a play off place.

It's then we are to believe that Monk took the decision he no longer required these 2 in and around the matchday squad, again, on the back of Hutchinson starting the previous 3 games, an away win at Charlton, a home win V Brentford and an away draw at Derby.

By now Westwood had been dropped and was amongst the substitutes.

With Hutchinson suspended and Westwood on the bench results continued to go well for the next fortnight. Is it at this point that Monk decided to have his conversations with Westwood and Hutch?

If so, with morale on a high and league position  looking healthy throwing a bomb into the mix by freezing out two of the most I influential members of the first team squad would be nothing short of bonkers.

Or...If it wasn't at this point and was within the last 3/4 weeks, are we to believe with team on it's arse, with central midfield screaming out for a ball winner and with an inexperienced and under pressure young goalkeeper costing us points Monk decided it was time to discount recalling Hutch and Westwood for good?!

None of this adds up. Someone is telling porkies.

But you forgot to mention GM knows a successful changing room - I am not sure where from maybe he saw that thing on tv about Colin, or Mike Bassett England manager as he has failed at every club he has been at, won nothing, in his playing career that spanned 19 years he played just 281 games or an average of just 15 games a season either he had lots of injuries or just was not good enough to play.

He talks a lot of crap, or that's what seem to come across from his press interviews and seem to easily fall out with everyone he comes into contact with.

I think senior pros have questioned his lack of tactics, ability to change games and useless use of substitutions in games and he will have spat his dummy out and banished them.

Reach has vanish with no news on why, Westwood, Hutch though fit are declared injured by the manager, Fox's new contract seems to have vanish, no backroom staff coming in it just sparks of a manager living on borrow time and a chairman too stupid to sort the mess out quickly.

31 minutes ago, VBQ24 said:

I would imagine there was a bust up after the game on Boxing Day. Conceding two goals in added time and throwing away more points likely led to high tensions. 

With Hutchinson?

The last game he played was the win at QPR in which he got an assist and generally played well. Hasn't been seen since (which can just about be said for the central midfielders who have actually played in the games since then).

17 minutes ago, room0035 said:

But you forgot to mention GM knows a successful changing room - I am not sure where from maybe he saw that thing on tv about Colin, or Mike Bassett England manager as he has failed at every club he has been at, won nothing, in his playing career that spanned 19 years he played just 281 games or an average of just 15 games a season either he had lots of injuries or just was not good enough to play.

He talks a lot of crap, or that's what seem to come across from his press interviews and seem to easily fall out with everyone he comes into contact with.

I think senior pros have questioned his lack of tactics, ability to change games and useless use of substitutions in games and he will have spat his dummy out and banished them.

Reach has vanish with no news on why, Westwood, Hutch though fit are declared injured by the manager, Fox's new contract seems to have vanish, no backroom staff coming in it just sparks of a manager living on borrow time and a chairman too stupid to sort the mess out quickly.

Monk did imply something about Westwood's fitness yesterday but some very strange injuries are cropping up again. Luongo got a ban overturned but has since been out for a month with an injury picked up in training. Reach has a nondescript minor toe injury that has now seen him sidelined for more than 2 weeks. 

15 hours ago, ozzieowl said:

Good opening post. Defo more to this than being told. 

Nothing wrong with Westwood’s fitness. Hutch played more last two seasons than ever. All bull crap. Got to have had a fall out with big characters that’s obv not kept opinions to themselves in the dressing room. Prob undermining Monk. 

Prob costing DC 50/55 k a week for not playing but does he have to back his manager. All very strange 

TBF Westwood seems to have had a fair few injuries/fitness issues over the last couple of seasons.

8 hours ago, thekimmyowl said:

All players get injuries, it’s the nature of the beast

Ours seem to get injured more than most, though. And injuries might well have cost us promotion under Carlos. Also, despite our dreadful injury record, I can't remember that many serious injuries. Our players just get knocks and niggles that put them out for weeks, if not months.

3 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

To follow that to its logical conclusion, so should Luhukay, I suppose?

Depends if it was for the same reason. 

If they were pulling the same shenanigans with him as they have Monk, then you are probably right. Makes Bully look a bit of fool for bringing them straight back too.

Edited by Mr Farrell

17 hours ago, Box_Man said:

I think it boils down to having two big personalities in the dressing room. Hutch came through the ranks at Chelsea, nearly had to retire though injury he probably comes across as a “I don’t give a poo attitude” “rants and speaks their mind” potentially undermining the manager...he needs a strong personality to manage him and keep him in line. Westwood is and has always been a bit petulant...again needs managing.

End of the day, your best team is your best team whether you are playing Under 10s footie or professional football, and all the players know who is the best...it’s natural selection.

Something kicked off after the Stoke game and we’ve not recovered since.

Down to the manager to “manage” the situation not bomb senior pros out of the squad imo.

Stop making shat up, Please ? 

Very very naive decision by Monk to freeze Hutchinson and Westwood out especially with how shocking our form has been since Christmas. We are crying out for someone in midfield to get stuck in and do the nasty things, Monk persisting with Pessy is mind boggling. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Very very naive decision by Monk to freeze Hutchinson and Westwood out especially with how shocking our form has been since Christmas. 

Even more naive to think that Monk wouldn’t play them if there wasn’t serious underlying issues 

Come on ... you can scream play your best players all day long, but to think Hutch and Westwood are completely focussed on playing for SWFC and it’s just another ‘manager that’s ‘frozen’ them out’ issue is absolutely unbelievable for me

4 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

Fitness ?

Nothing to do with fitness. It's about not being up for the challenge, not playing when they didn't fancy it, and Monk deciding he won't accept that.

Simply dont buy that with Hutch. The bloke has been through hell with his injury problems and hes commented on the effect that has had on his mental health. 

The idea he fakes injuries so he doesn't have to play is farcical.

Edited by NorthernOwl

17 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

I am.going to take at face value the comments that he's made in the press conference today re Hutch and Westwood.

If Monk's comments are to be believed the reason behind the freezing out of these 2 is down to their inability to remain fit and available.

Taking into account Hutchinson played in the wins over Charlton and Brentford before picking up a suspension after his booking at Derby we can only assume this epiphany occurred around mid December with the team sat comfortably in contention for a play off place.

It's then we are to believe that Monk took the decision he no longer required these 2 in and around the matchday squad, again, on the back of Hutchinson starting the previous 3 games, an away win at Charlton, a home win V Brentford and an away draw at Derby.

With Hutchinson suspended and Westwood on the bench results continued to go well for the next fortnight. Is it at this point that Monk decided to have his conversations with Westwood and Hutch?

If so, with morale on a high and league position  looking healthy throwing a bomb into the mix by freezing out two of the most I influential members of the first team squad would be nothing short of bonkers.

Or...If it wasn't at this point and was within the last 3/4 weeks, are we to believe with team on it's arse, with central midfield screaming out for a ball winner and with an inexperienced and under pressure young goalkeeper costing us points Monk decided it was time to discount recalling Hutch and Westwood for good?!

Yet despite being absent from the last 5 games and not starting a league game since NYD, there are still only 7 players at the club who've played more league minutes than Hutchinson this season, and he's played more minutes than Lee and Pelupessy put together - yet they both still get selected and they're both out of contract in the summer as well and Lee has been injured far more than Hutch in the last 3 seasons. Not many players saw more minutes on the pitch than Hutchinson after he was reinstated to the team in the second half of last season either.

So Monk's comments make no sense - just tell us the truth Garry.

4 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Simply dont buy that with Hutch. The bloke has been through hell with his injury problems and hes commented on the effect that has had on his mental health. 

The idea he fakes injuries so he doesn't have to play is farcical.

Must admit it's suprising.

Did he limp off vs QPR ?

18 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

I wonder if either of them would pass a club medical when fit. 

That would be my baseline position. If they couldn't then Monk is correct.

It would be very interesting to know .

18 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

I wonder if either of them would pass a club medical when fit. 

That would be my baseline position. If they couldn't then Monk is correct.

It would be very interesting to know .