Loadsamoney...

Guest Grandad

30 minutes ago, LittleG said:

How does this get round FFP? The only way the things you suggest we spend on is going to happen is when we get to the Premiership. DC is not going to spend millions and millions on the club when we are in this position, with a chance of going down to league 1. I've just realised I've probably been whooshed because you must be on a wind up.

It gets round FFP by producing players instead of buying them.

And the system required to produce them is exempt from the P&S assessment

No whooshing

4 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Proper money needs to be spent on that though doesn't it.  Probably as much as he has already put in. 

I would imagine those sort of plans probably are there for if we get to the premier league.

Why isnt he doing it if he is so rich and cares about the club. Who knows. but I think it needs premier league money to be done though.

Seriously if I read anymore “if/when we get to the Premier League” I think I’ll spontaneously combust. We’re a million miles away from the Premier league and I honestly think that even thought I’m just south of 50 I doubt I’ll ever see us back there. Credit to the OP though, if I thought the owner was really serious this is exactly where I would have thought he’d start 5 years ago, especially the academy/training ground, but no keep spinning that wheel DC one day it nay land on black   

3 hours ago, Grandad said:

How?

Investment in infrastructure and academy is excluded isn't it? 

agree with this why wouldnt I  having banged this drum for a few years   It is a complete no brainer surely ? but as below it wont happen 

3 hours ago, Royal_D said:

I’ve never been convinced DC sees a future in Hillsborough, really do suspect his preference long term would be a new ground 

agree or surely he would have at least drawn plans to sort the west stand out and move the training ground 

Guest LittleG
1 minute ago, Grandad said:

It gets round FFP by producing players instead of buying them.

And the system required to produce them is exempt from the P&S assessment

No whooshing

How long do you think it's going to take to upgrade the facilities and start producing players, of which there is no guarantee that we will bring any through. Besides facilities you also need the right staff. 

4 hours ago, Grandad said:

We do keep hearing that weve loads of wonga - we just can't spend it cos of the EFLs FFP rules

As I understand FFP (yes I know its P&S) - investment in infrastructure and academy is excluded from FFP calculations. With that in mind wouldn't it be wise as a club thats gearing up for the Premier League to

a. Knock the Leppings Lane end down. And build a modern stand from the ground up, not another re-hash like the one that was planned for the World Cup bid?  A stand that could accomodate home supporters and allow for segregation too so that away supporters could also be housed in it?

b. Even more of a priority - and by far the most sensible investment. Relocate our Academy to a purpose built location - and make it the very best in South Yorkshire. United have had the upper hand on the Academy for far too long, and given their status now, will clean up local talent for years to come if we don't do something spectacular. Build something with living accomodation for players we've scouted from further afield, leisure facilities that can be shared with the community in the evenings, swimming pool, gyms, 4G pitches. Som,ething we can all be really proud of and that will bear fruit for years ahead?

Plans like this would give us all a boost. And we could utilise the Chairmans vast millions - without it affecting FFP at all.

Look at this of Citys...

With the changes in, for want of a better phrase, poaching of youth players in England such that (as I understood it) premier league clubs can poach youngsters with relative ease and at low outlay, I wonder whether academies are feasible in the long term for many clubs in the EFL. 

With respect to ours, certainly a good investment but we've seen precious little from our current setup. 

3 minutes ago, Spondon Owl said:

With the changes in, for want of a better phrase, poaching of youth players in England such that (as I understood it) premier league clubs can poach youngsters with relative ease and at low outlay, I wonder whether academies are feasible in the long term for many clubs in the EFL. 

With respect to ours, certainly a good investment but we've seen precious little from our current setup. 

We got offered £2m for one of our academy products who'd played less than 45 minutes of first team football

Doesn't seem like they can poach that easy

1 minute ago, Grandad said:

We got offered £2m for one of our academy products who'd played less than 45 minutes of first team football

Doesn't seem like they can poach that easy

I was sure that the premier league had effectively forced a rule change to allow easier poaching of young players. Lemme dig out the article.

https://www.devonlive.com/sport/exeter-city-academy-doubts-eppp-3762405

Not the best reference, first one I could find, but you can do your own reading from it.

I was absolutely dismayed at football when this change happened. The premier league threatened to remove funding to lower league unless they agree. Absolutely atrocious. 

I accept that, but there's a huge difference between a club like Exeter and one like ours - I'd advocate that we'd be one of the club's looking to poach players too given the size and status of academy I've proposed

It’s fairly obvious to me that DC wants to move to a new stadium, the lack of real investment in Hillsborough, the alleged turning down of the opportunity to buy the Wednesdayite car park all point that way. Obviously those plans were reliant on promotion but for me we should jump the gun to give the club a boost , other clubs have done it so why not get premier league ready if we have the money 

11 hours ago, Grandad said:

I dont think they will give any blowback at all?

Surely this is a brilliant way to get round the FFP - granted it might take a little longer but we could become the Chelsea of the Championship with a scheme like this. Sign up loads of talent, and loan it out to get experience.

I thought he was looking to get into the premier, not stay in the championship.

5 hours ago, jamiejohn said:

It’s fairly obvious to me that DC wants to move to a new stadium, the lack of real investment in Hillsborough, the alleged turning down of the opportunity to buy the Wednesdayite car park all point that way. Obviously those plans were reliant on promotion but for me we should jump the gun to give the club a boost , other clubs have done it so why not get premier league ready if we have the money 

Your last 5 words answered the question.

He doesn't....

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, daleblue said:

Your Avatar reminds me.

QueasyOrganicBlackfly-size_restricted.gif.42ef4feee0688b9a92b68f314a26723b.gif

:ohmy:

Reminds me of my mother in law and her wife bren :biggrin:

Not read all the replies so it might already been said but as i see it DC has invested a large amount to date and is now waiting for some return on his investment (promotion) before he invests even more??  Its a bit of a vicious circle, we probably need that investment in the academy, facilities etc for that final push to get into the premier but if DC invests more and we still didn't go up...…