Manager Options.

1 hour ago, Stoop said:

If Warnock rocks up at Hillsborough then I think I’ll be taking a Wednesday hiatus 

Don't think you have owt to fear Stoop. I reckon he's settling into retirement now. Might see him doing a bit of punditry but can't see him managing again.

Only way we will get out of the cycle of directionless ineptitude on and off the pitch: is if a more experienced and hard nosed type of manager is brought in (i.e a Warnock; Bruce, Hughton or Megson type) and/or if a DOF and CEO are brought in. Monk hasn't stayed at any club for longer than a year. I don't think he's the man to rebuild with and he's shown nothing whilst here or at his other clubs to suggest he might be.

Our troubles are far more deeper than just changing the manager but we need a tougher manager or more experienced manager, just to keep us up, stabilise us and to rebuild with in the short term. Whilst going forward in the long term, we need to create an identity or philosophy, build something over time, with younger players on the rise and by being more sensible by bringing in players with resale value and by selling our better or younger players in order to strengthen on and off the pitch.

Edited by The Night-Owl

It shouldn't be lost on anyone that the one time (albeit brief) that we actually appointed a strong minded manger the clubs fortunes in recruitment, performance and general mood around the club and fanbase all improved.

Quite frankly, under the current ownership regime we need a manager prepared to dictate terms to the owner as opposed to the likes of Carlos, Jos and Monk we seem happy to accept what they are given and work within a brief set by a guy that even after 5 years knows f@ck all about football matters. 

I'd accept any manager thats got a history of success and an inability to suffer fools. 

Edited by Morepork

17 hours ago, dorian gray said:

ALL managers and the vast majority of footballers are mercenaries. 

I don't know what you do for a living, but IF another better opportunity opened up just down the road from you on twice the money, would you stick with your employer, or move?

see, not only managers and footballers are mercenaries. 

I see your point, and thank your for your  response.

I'm a retired engineer, high-energy physics, (electro-optics and things nuclear) and got offers all the time, after a certain point, money just doesn't matter anymore.  But, the career-span of a footballer is generally speaking, very short, so I certainly understand their looking for greener pastures, same for the managers.  

On the other hand, I think that most footballers & managers would like to stay at one Club, for the duration of their career, but, a couple of bad games, decisions, or signings, and either is looking for another job.

Still, I wouldn't take Warnock, because he said he wants "one more job", rather than saying something like "I can get Wednesday playing better, with the Squad at hand."  Anyway...

Thanks Dorian, you always talk sense, politely.

14 hours ago, Tommycraign10others said:

Read a quote recently that Nigel Pearson made some time ago and willing all likelihood have been quoted on one of the zillion threads about Garry Monk.  In this quote he stares that when the culture in the club is wrong you need to change the players and accepted that often things get worse before they get better.  It is at those time’s he says you need patience.

I couldn’t agree more and it’s time we got behind GM

Pearson went to rock bottom Watford and they improved. And now have a good chance of staying up. Monk took over a squad from Bruce full of confidence, a fan base expecting great things and a good atmosphere round the club. It’s taken him five months to totally destroy that, and we are in a relegation fight getting hammered every week with a fan base that doesn’t give a fewk anymore. Yes he’s doing a great job let’s give him more time. All aboard the relegation express whoop whoop. Clap clap clap

1 hour ago, Neon Nick said:

I'm a retired engineer, high-energy physics, (electro-optics and things nuclear) and got offers all the time, after a certain point, money just doesn't matter anymore.  But, the career-span of a footballer is generally speaking, very short, so I certainly understand their looking for greener pastures, same for the managers.  

On the other hand, I think that most footballers & managers would like to stay at one Club, for the duration of their career, but, a couple of bad games, decisions, or signings, and either is looking for another job.

Still, I wouldn't take Warnock, because he said he wants "one more job", rather than saying something like "I can get Wednesday playing better, with the Squad at hand."  Anyway...

a dingle fan (itk) YES an actual intelligent one whom i used to work with, once told me a manager has around five years max. use at a football club.

in that period of up to five years he can get ideas listened to, and acted upon, after that the players have heard everything he has to say over and over again, and aren't 'believers' anymore.

the alternative is to 'flip' the squad over in that time so five years on you don't have many (if any) of the initial players left at the club, that way a manager can extend his club career. 

but in a profession where you sign a three year (or more) contract and get peddled in 18 months with a pay out i'm not sure 'most managers would want to stay at one club' as the multi club system (also known as being shyte) looks to pay more.

it certainly did before the present trend for international managers became the fashion, as the same (almost certain) failures were just going round in circles from club to club, and when our club removed a manager 'the dreaded list' scared 75% of the folk on here to death. WTF:

1 hour ago, Plonk said:

Pearson went to rock bottom Watford and they improved. And now have a good chance of staying up. Monk took over a squad from Bruce full of confidence, a fan base expecting great things and a good atmosphere round the club. It’s taken him five months to totally destroy that, and we are in a relegation fight getting hammered every week with a fan base that doesn’t give a fewk anymore. Yes he’s doing a great job let’s give him more time. All aboard the relegation express whoop whoop. Clap clap clap

Not sure where you get the full of confidence from. The players who had been here under Jos were not high achievers and the ones Bruce signed (including the contract extension for Westwood) had just seen the boss they thought they were playing for disappear. They then had Bullen for some weeks who felt let down by the players in his quest for the job full time. 
But hey let’s kick out the guy who just might rid this culture of swimming with the tide and start all over again

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

Only way we will get out of the cycle of directionless ineptitude on and off the pitch: is if a more experienced and hard nosed type of manager is brought in (i.e a Warnock; Bruce, Hughton or Megson type) and/or if a DOF and CEO are brought in. Monk hasn't stayed at any club for longer than a year. I don't think he's the man to rebuild with and he's shown nothing whilst here or at his other clubs to suggest he might be.

Our troubles are far more deeper than just changing the manager but we need a tougher manager or more experienced manager, just to keep us up, stabilise us and to rebuild with in the short term. Whilst going forward in the long term, we need to create an identity or philosophy, build something over time, with younger players on the rise and by being more sensible by bringing in players with resale value and by selling our better or younger players in order to strengthen on and off the pitch.

Here is a way forward.

howard Wilkinson in as DOF

megson as manager.

buy players based on size and ability to launch it or win headers from said launches.

run em in the woods !!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Plonk said:

the total, and utterly 'threadbare' (quality and competence wise) squad monk took on was staggeringly pushed into 3rd. place on the back of fletcher having his best run of form perhaps in his life.

anybody who knew much of football could see he needed help, but also knew with his injury history it could turn nasty at any point, guess what?, wednesday got the latter one again. 

what we have, and had on the bench as replacements had been tried and tried again and seen a failures (with the exception as seeing nuhiu as at times an effective last 15 minute sub).

the others have proved not to be up to the mark for (is this the 4th. or 5th. counting bullen?) the manager, there's a reason for that, they're not good enough.

this squad from dc taking over was initially built up of players at the high point of their careers to play multi-passing high tempo football.

now leaving aside the initial physical training process, and ongoing injuries, and just considering the fact that the 'high point' players are now 4+ years on, or past their best, the manager has had to find a method of play that the squad is capable of.

we were (i'm not sure whether watching, or enduring it is the correct assumption, but) successful, and in third place, until the only forward we have got injured.

in our position i can only think of colin that could/would take this on, AND stand a chance of turning it, but some of the fans would turn the 'non atmosphere' toxic.

so who IS the man to do the job IF monk is not?

• Like 3

13 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

we/dc should have done that from the ******* start, the squad that gray left needed striking additions, but should have been built upon in an attempt to play effective championship football, instead of attempting to introduce continental ball retention football that would fail when tested in physical games. burton, rovrum, 'ull.

2 hours ago, Neon Nick said:

you not read many of my posts then have you?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, dorian gray said:

a dingle fan (itk) YES an actual intelligent one whom i used to work with, once told me a manager has around five years max. use at a football club.

in that period of up to five years he can get ideas listened to, and acted upon, after that the players have heard everything he has to say over and over again, and aren't 'believers' anymore.

the alternative is to 'flip' the squad over in that time so five years on you don't have many (if any) of the initial players left at the club, that way a manager can extend his club career. 

but in a profession where you sign a three year (or more) contract and get peddled in 18 months with a pay out i'm not sure 'most managers would want to stay at one club' as the multi club system (also known as being shyte) looks to pay more.

it certainly did before the present trend for international managers became the fashion, as the same (almost certain) failures were just going round in circles from club to club, and when our club removed a manager 'the dreaded list' scared 75% of the folk on here to death. WTF:

Jack Charlton talked about 5 years being enough when he joined Wednesday  for the same reasons your dingle mate mentioned 

44 minutes ago, the monk said:

Jack Charlton talked about 5 years being enough when he joined Wednesday  for the same reasons your dingle mate mentioned 

another one who was a relation of eric whinstanley who was danny wilson's number 2 at jokewell, said after danny came to s6, he contacted eric wanting him as his no.2 at hillsborough, as 'he didn't know who to trust when his back was turned'.

anything altered at all?