Manager Options.

2 hours ago, full fathom five said:

Exactly and short term fixes instead of long term planning are what got us in this position in the first place.

You can't have anything other than short term fixes unless the fans stop turning on the manager before he's had time to change things. We need to give each new manager a couple of transfer windows to improve things. At the moment we go full on mental at the first sign of a bad run.

Personally I have no view on Monk as a manager. If he goes I won't cry myself to sleep but at some stage we are going to have to get behind someone if we are ever going to get to the Premiership.

1 hour ago, HighworthOwl said:

Ritchie Wellens has Swindon Town top of league 2. Spent no money working for a divisive owner. He has united the fanbase and has them playing good football. 

Ryan Lowe did a great job at Bury and now has Plymouth in the top 3 in league 2. Wednesday connection too (obviously). 

Gareth Ainsworth has Wycombe in a promotion race in league one. Punching way above there weight in a league with some big clubs. 

All 3 would be a gamble and all 3 would need to be given time. The job Ainsworth is doing is remarkable! 

All 3 would need time is the death knell

It was almost universally said on OT that  Bruce and then Monk would need time and where are we.  But a bump in the road, recognise we have underperforming players and 6 months on looking for his replacement.  

It’s time for a new strategy.  Support and stick with a manager that had a good win record in the Championship before coming here, sort out this squad and provide him with the resources to do the job

53 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Neil Warnock is 71 so appointing him would be short term thinking.
Maybe if we had a points deduction and needed a boost to stop up I would just about accept it.
Club needs to be already planning for next season in some way and appointing Warnock wouldn't help with that.

Only a year older than Wenger, hypothetically would you turn him down?

3 hours ago, owl84 said:

Since we last changed manager very few different/new options have become available. 

One man who has become available is Neil Warnock. He’s said (again) he wants one more job and was very close to going to Boro but they picked up.

If we were to change managers I’m sure he’d throw his hat in the ring for the job. Would Wednesday fans accept / be happy if the club was to appoint him? Knowing his association with them across the city. 

Never, never would I accept Colin as our manager. 

15 minutes ago, Tommycraign10others said:

All 3 would need time is the death knell

It was almost universally said on OT that  Bruce and then Monk would need time and where are we.  But a bump in the road, recognise we have underperforming players and 6 months on looking for his replacement.  

It’s time for a new strategy.  Support and stick with a manager that had a good win record in the Championship before coming here, sort out this squad and provide him with the resources to do the job

Agree 100% you have two options either you put in a structure above the manager that creates continuity even if you get a turnover of managers (Brentford model) or you give the manager time to do what he is employed to do. We don't do either! 

Managers (particularly young inexperienced ones) need to work at a club with a clear footballing structure in order to have the best chance of success.

We don't have one... Unless an owner abroad doing a theme park tour and a shady man hanging around the training ground and identifying transfer targets counts?

I’m not sure about the merits of appointing Warnock There’s no longevity there, he just wants complete that handful of games he needs for the milestone. Pretty certain Monk isn’t the man, but unless there is a real chance that we will go down, save the money and give it Bullen We need to come up with plan, a way forward, and find the right man to take us forward in the summer  

It won’t be Monk, it won’t be Bullen, and it won’t be Warnock

42 minutes ago, prowl said:

You can't have anything other than short term fixes unless the fans stop turning on the manager before he's had time to change things. We need to give each new manager a couple of transfer windows to improve things. At the moment we go full on mental at the first sign of a bad run.

Personally I have no view on Monk as a manager. If he goes I won't cry myself to sleep but at some stage we are going to have to get behind someone if we are ever going to get to the Premiership.

Disagree , you need to give the right manager time not the wrong one to make the situation worse. Imagine giving Jos four or five transfer windows???? Also IF structures and strategies had been properly put in place in every department of the club then a continuation of progress could be achieved whilst developing and selling players for profit along the way. 

If we accept that this needs to be a project, do we believe we are safe enough this season, to put that type of manager in place now? Were the right man available, perhaps an overseas left field appointment who will build a team/squad from top to bottom. 
Assuming the owner might embrace a longer term project, which isn’t a given, would the fans accept that? Half the fan base would be saying, no we want an old head, who knows how to get out of this league. Of course, there is no right or wrong way, but my thoughts are, if we accept that it has to be a longer term project, probably done on a budget, then we have to stop clamouring for short term fix managers

• Thanks 1

Guest Bulgaria

Sod all this long term project crap, get Warnock in, even if it's just the the entertainment of it.

Failing that, get Holloway.

This club is desperate for an injection of positivity,  and either of them would provide it. And they are both decent managers.

I've no big gripe with Monk, and I support him regarding the Westwood, Sam situation.... but he provides no enthusiasm, has zero rapport with the crowd and he is a dead man walking.

Get Ollie in!!!!

Edited by Bulgaria

The way we buy players who are in there prime or on the decline, there's no point in giving a manager time to build a team. Monk seems like a nice guy, and i'm sure he knows what he's doing but if he can't motivate the team he may as well go. You need to change things around until something clicks, just look at United.

2 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

Just stick with Monk, where has constant change got us. Would be a better option to appoint a Director of Football with a plan  who has the experience. Got to say Monk has got little to work with.

Sacking Monk is a must for me.

Warnock would most defo do a good job. Have never wanted him but in the circumstances with  a deduction imminent there is every chance he would be able to keep us up with these players so would take him SHORT term !

4 hours ago, owl84 said:

Since we last changed manager very few different/new options have become available. 

One man who has become available is Neil Warnock. He’s said (again) he wants one more job and was very close to going to Boro but they picked up.

If we were to change managers I’m sure he’d throw his hat in the ring for the job. Would Wednesday fans accept / be happy if the club was to appoint him? Knowing his association with them across the city. 

What about Monk.

He has taken Sheffield Wednesday to 12th in the league after taking over in difficult circumstances when the previous manager did a runner at the 12th hour leaving them in the lurch.

He has also inherited a crappy squad that has failed for 3 successive years to be promoted.

He also cant spend any money so is making do with the dregs that he inherited from prior managers poor dealings.

He is also having to manage players on excessive deals from poor management previously.

He also has a couple of 'bad eggs' in the dressing room who are destabilising things and making his job harder.

He also is trying to fit square pegs into round holes in terms of players and positions because some players are refusing to play.

He also has 'called out' the troublesome players and is actually 'BEING' a manager by managing in difficult circumstances.

He is also working under a chairman who knows nothing about football.

He is also working for a club that has a EFL Legal case hanging over its head.

He also works for a club that has had FFP restrictions.

He also manages to work for a club that other clubs in the division want to see receive a substantial points deduction.

He also works under the pressure of a fan base that expects immediate results because they 'STILL' think that they are a Premier League team, that just happens to have not been in the Premier League for many years.

If I've missed anything I do apologise, but I think that this guy has the right experience to manage us . . . . . . . . . . . . .

• Like 2