Does chansiri own uber now?

6 hours ago, Owl999 said:

Excuse my ignorance but what is the GIg economy? I’ve never heard the term before .

It is, in essence, a part of the economy where people work on projects, gigs etc where it isn't a steady, long term job.  Bit like doing the lighting for a pop concert - you come in and do it, but it isn't needed beyond a short period of time.

This has morphed into zero-hours contracts.  Businesses need staff at peak times like Christmas but don't need them at other times, so they give people contracts to mimic this need for labour.  

It perfectly suits students who may want jobs but not the full time committment.  It also can suit parents who need to be flexible around childcare and school holidays or older people who may want a job that isn't commited to every week, all year, especialy if they spend time abroad or are having medical treatment.  

Labour want to scrap it because its a popular message to give their unions and some members - paint businesses as evil and the enemy - when really, zero hour contracts give choice and freedom to many who couldn't accept and commit to a full time or part time contract.  The usual government overreach that reduces choice.

Ultimately, the government should step in if a company abuses zero hour contracts and the job centre shouldn't force you to accept one if you are looking for full time work.  But there is a place for them in our economy.  IF one suits you, apply for it, if it doesn't then don't.  Simples.

3 minutes ago, Bez said:

Wind your neck in Dale.  it was supposed to be a sad face.

Should really ignore this, however I can only go on what I saw and not what I thought you meant, I dont have a crystal ball, but pleased that you have now

changed it.

As for winding my neck in. :tongue:

• Haha 1

So your son was grieving the loss of his Daughter and his employer let him go Nev?

Absolutely disgusted. Name and shame Nev. I see no reason why they couldn't say take as long as you like, we might not be able to pay you for the entire time you're off, but we'll keep a job open for you when you're ready.

This is how employers get the best out of their employees by showing understanding in times of troubles.

That employer doesn't deserve hard working staff.