Our best team

Guest Grandad

2 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

From Monks quotes about " doing whats best for the squad " , that seems to confirm whats gone off. 

"Im doing whats best for the squad"

=

"hes a disruptive influence in the dressing room"

really?

7 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Well Dawson’s done it 3 times in the last 10 games alone

No I don’t.. so if you have info you should share. My guess is Monk, like Jos, only wants players who can train every day. Far more like than this disruptive influence nonsense and the thing he has in common with Hutchinson 

Westwood did it 4 times in his last three games

Guest LondonOwl313
13 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Westwood did it 4 times in his last three games

no he didn't.. he hasn't conceded more than 2 goals in a game this season

Always play your best team. I still think the side below would win games.

Westwood

Palmer    Iorfa    Borner    Odubajo (I know people are Fox fans now, but  prefer an attacking fullback)

Murphy    Luongo    Bannan    Harris

Fletcher  Forestieri

Even with the injuries we have you can still put in Hutchinson, Lee, Lees, Reach, Wickham, Fox - who are all capable.

1 hour ago, Bulgaria said:

Although any kind of abuse is disgraceful, I would imagine it's because of his attitude rather than poor form.

Happy to be proved wrong though.

Forgive me read this a few times and cannot establish if you mean some sort of abuse would be acceptable if it was a bad attitude and not form? :unsure: :biggrin:

The thing is, most have seen evidence of his poor form, have any of us any evidence of a bad attitude?

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

Guest LondonOwl313
21 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Sorry meant made 4 mistakes in his last three games

Yeah but point is mate, he was rightly dropped because of those mistakes. But does making a few mistakes mean that you’re finished or does it just mean you’re having a poor run of form which happens to most players at some point. Particularly as he was remarkably consistent for us for a long time 

Now that Dawson has been making mistakes, a normal functioning squad would see Westwood have the chance to stake his claim again. Yet apparently we’ve written him off... it’s just bad management. I agree that if he got another run in the team and played poorly again then it probably means his time is done. But it’s way too premature to write someone off for having a bad run of half a dozen games or so 

1 hour ago, Pale Rider said:

Even so, he is better than Dawson so it never made sense not to stick with him.

I’d say they were on a par this season given KW performances. One is at the end of his career and on a high wage and one is on a low wage with potential to improve. 

• Like 1

Just now, LondonOwl313 said:

Yeah but point is mate, he was rightly dropped because of those mistakes. But does making a few mistakes mean that you’re finished or does it just mean you’re having a poor run of form which happens to most players at some point. Particularly as he was remarkably consistent for us for a long time 

Now that Dawson has been making mistakes, a normal functioning squad would see Westwood have the chance to stake his claim again. Yet apparently we’ve written him off... it’s just bad management. I agree that if he got another run in the team and played poorly again then it probably means his time is done. But it’s way too premature to write someone off for having a bad run of half a dozen games or so 

Nobody knows what has gone off with Westwood but as Monk is the manager its his call to pick who he thinks should play taking into account a whole manner of things we wont be aware of. Dawson has conceded a lot goals recently but its harsh to blame him for all of the goals. I thought he was looking a good young keeper when we played QPR as he had looked commanding and solid but his mistake in the final minutes seems to have been the beginning of unjust criticism towards him. We don't know what the current mindset of our players is and what lurks around the corner but at this present time Monk is the manager and has to live or die by his decisions. If the players turned up for training and made themselves available then the focus is purely on the manager to get results and not the distractions behind the scenes.

Guest everydays_wednesday
3 hours ago, Grandad said:

When the majority of fans bought into the Chairman's survey we were promised we'd see the best players in return for high ticket prices

Hutch is better than Pelepussy

Westwood is better than Dawson

Just play them and if we lose then - we have to accept we just aren't good enough

But at least give us what we are paying for. It's not rocket science

We have to accept it then because they have both been party along with FF Bannan Lee etc to losing and taking us no where in the last 3 years. Clear out required of all players who have failed,  so thats a huge chunk of the squad and start again imho.

In all the comments seen about the Westwood situation and people claiming there is no evidence,  you sometimes need to read between the lines. Doesn’t anybody remember the comment from Garry Monk when Westwood had an elbow injury, just after being dropped and GM passed a comment about his pain threshold.  It seems to me there was an issue from then about a convenient injury preventing him sitting on the bench.

Or maybe I am reading it wrong 

33 minutes ago, 83owl said:

I’d say they were on a par this season given KW performances. One is at the end of his career and on a high wage and one is on a low wage with potential to improve. 

Far too much sense in just a few lines of text. You 83 are wasted on here! 

6 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

You honestly believe monk has said to him I don’t see you as number 1 so don’t even bother going on the bench? Just come to training for your 20k a week. 

There’s only 1 person to blame for him not getting another chance now.

3 hours ago, 83owl said:

Doesn’t matter what formation we play as our CMs won’t/can’t get forward to support. There’s only luongo that I’ve seen try and get close to the strikers. Hutch, bannan, joey all sit back. Lee hasn’t got the same movement he had before injury.

I agree about the midfielders but Saturdays tactics were particularly confusing. 

We should never find ourselves in a situation where two players are dropped, banished or whatever and our form drops so drastically. 

Are these two so integral to our "success" that their exclusion leads to us being incapable of passing the ball 5 yards? Or do they wield so much influence that others have downed tools because of their exclusion? 

As others have pointed out, it wasn't like Westwood had been in particularly good form (hence why he was dropped) and there is always a debate about where Hutch should be playing in the team. 

The whole thing really is a mess and the fact that this has happened twice now makes it all the more bizarre. 

To think we've gone from being 3rd to this absolute horror show. You couldn't make it up. 

24 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

The whole ethos of the Premier League is to encourage panic buying to enable Premiership teams to off load their garbage at hugely inflated prices ! My rule of thumb as a minimum would be to buy British.

My rule of thumb would be “recruit players that match the style of play you want to implement” (irrespective of where the players come from). If you want a passing/possession style then recruit players comfortable on the ball; if you want an “up and at ‘em” style then recruit hard men and athletes. 

I’d also like to point out that Jay Bothroyd is British. 

Best starting line up/best team is this......

Dawson

Palmer          Iorfa               Borner       Fox

Murphy         Luongo          Bannan       Reach

Fletcher             Forestieri

Until Fletcher is fit, it's Nuhui or Wickham, neither fill me with confidence, Wickham has shown nothing yet, other option is Da Cruz alongside FF.

Edited by bradowl

7 minutes ago, shandypants said:

My rule of thumb would be “recruit players that match the style of play you want to implement” (irrespective of where the players come from). If you want a passing/possession style then recruit players comfortable on the ball; if you want an “up and at ‘em” style then recruit hard men and athletes. 

I’d also like to point out that Jay Bothroyd is British. 

The point I was making is that it is far more difficult to over inflate the prices of home grown players ! Whereas, Argentines, Brazilians, Chileans, Italians and Spanish all appear to have a premium attached.     

4 hours ago, 83owl said:

This kind of atitude which has us in this mess in the first place.

I don’t care about how many years service a player has given us, they were well paid to do a job and we owe them nothing. Fact is this season his form was poor and rightly dropped, just because he played well in 2016 doesn’t mean he gets paid by us forever, especially on £20k a week.

No room for sentiment in football, gerrard was a Liverpool legend who won multiple trophies across a long career and look how quick Klopp dropped him when he realised he wasn’t up to it anymore. Our fans put a group of players that got to a second tier playoff final in that same bracket it’s ridiculous.

Can’t argue with that, Klopp let Gerrard go so quick it was 5 months before he became Liverpool manager  , whilst he was manager of Dortmund. That’s what you call quick. 

• Haha 1