Early 90s memories

2 hours ago, NorfolkNChance said:

Players like Mike Williams, Adem Poric and Simon Coleman actually playing in the top flight 

And Andy Pearce, never forget Andy Pearce. There's a brilliant bit in the 93/94 season review, during the 5-0 against West Ham were the game is nearly over and we're just casually knocking about to "oles" from the crowd; every player in the team gets a touch then it gets back to Pearce and under absolutely no pressure he just shovels it about forty foot into the air.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Justbeanz said:

Fond memories of John Harkes, John Sheridan and Des Walker. Class players.

First American to play in a cup final at Wembley and first American to win an English Cup.

That goal at Derby county in the League Cup run was immense. Smashed past England Italia 90 world cup hero Peter Shilton.

Someone should make a film about it. 

unnamed.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah big Andy Pearce.

Do recall us smashing Southampton 5-2 at home with a team containing many of those o mentioned. Was the week before the cup final so we rested loads, Bart Williams got a hat trick

Julian Watts and Brian Linighan played centre half , Le Tissier only scored one!

• Like 1

Looking back to days in Europe nearly 30 yrs back whilst Utd are gonna be in Europe, in a league format most likely against descent clubs is going to make put European tour look very lame. Makes me feel sick 

Edited by S1Owl

Of course all this was only possible with some outstanding transfers from Big Ron and Tricky Trev.

Francis was one of Ron's first signing. A failed Manager at QPR turned wing Wizard at Wednesday. 

You knew if they were bringing in a player they were class. More often than not they knew the player from previous clubs or England duty in the case of Francis.

Michelle Platini called Francis to take Cantona on loan as a favour. FFS. A different world back then. 

:duntmatter:

11 minutes ago, manicowl said:

And Andy Pearce, never forget Andy Pearce. There's a brilliant bit in the 93/94 season review, during the 5-0 against West Ham were the game is nearly over and we're just casually knocking about to "oles" from the crowd; every player in the team gets a touch then it gets back to Pearce and under absolutely no pressure he just shovels it about forty foot into the air.

Always a consistent performer. 

lol

2 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Better than I remembered:

Carlton Palmer - With Palmer and Sheridan, I remembered Palmer as the midfield destroyer and Sheridan as the creative genius. But I'd forgotten just how much of an attacking threat Palmer was. E.g. the 5 full seasons they played together (1989-1994), Palmer set up just about as many goals as Sheridan. And that's despite Sheridan (along with Worthington) being on most of the free-kicks and corners. Even goalscoring wise, Palmer got 17 in those 5 seasons and Sheridan only got 4 more goals if you exclude penalties: 21 from open play and free kicks (Sheridan did score 12 pens on top of those 21 but then he did miss quite a few penalties too, so who's to say Carlton wouldn't have scored more of them?!). Some of Carlton's goals - i.e. vs Boro in the Cup, the hat-trick against QPR, vs Ipswich and Chelsea in 93/94 were sublime.

Nigel Pearson & Viv Anderson - When I was younger I felt these guys were two heroes of defending, particularly Pearson who I had always put in the Steve Bruce 'unlucky to not get capped for England' category. But watching games back, flipping heck they were slow. Painful watching them at times up against players like Dalian Atkinson or Sharpe/Giggs. Those two games against Kaiserslautern we were unlucky with the outrageous Hirst red card and the penalty for Viv's foul outside the box - but seeing Pearson and Anderson playing a high line against not particularly quick forwards and get murdered for pace time and time again, we could easily have conceded 7 or 8 over the two legs. Viv Anderson at 35 was the prototype Reda Johnson, hide behind the sofa with defending to do in our own half, but lethal when attacking a cross.

If Palmer had been prolific on penalties he might have taken more during his career you would have thought? I'm glad it was Sheridan stepping up for us most of the time and not Palmer. 

Bit Harsh on Anderson as well. He must have been 34 or 35 when we signed him and he did a decent job for us for a couple of years, his experience often made up for his lack of pace but hardly surprising he got caught out a few times at that stage of his career. 

We played attacking football under Big Ron and Francis, not quite gung ho Keegan style but I always had the impression defending wasn't the priority. 

In the early 90’s under Ron & Trev we always turned up to try & win the game.

Over the years that attitude drifted & under Pleat & Wilson it was all about stopping the opposition.

Since then there have only been fleeting occasions where we have made the opposition worry about us more than we worry about them.

The whole club became a confidence vacuum under Pleat.

2 hours ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

Des was a £2.5 million signing from Sampdoria 

Waddle signed for £1m from Marseille.

Both signed a year or so after Italia 90 World Cup. 

Can you imagine that nowadays? That would be like us Signing Raheem Sterling and John Stones next year. 

:duntmatter:

Way things are going  they'd both be poo for us. 

9 hours ago, Greengrass said:

In the land of David Hirst, Roland Nilsson, Paul Warhurst, we're all going on a European tour, a European tour, a European tour.

Loved the early 90's.

Weren't it 'then along came David Hirst, Roland Nilson, Paul Warhurst, we're all going on a European tour, a European tour, a European tour.' ?

14 hours ago, NorfolkNChance said:

Yeah big Andy Pearce.

Do recall us smashing Southampton 5-2 at home with a team containing many of those o mentioned. Was the week before the cup final so we rested loads, Bart Williams got a hat trick

Julian Watts and Brian Linighan played centre half , Le Tissier only scored one!

Brian Linghan didn't  play until the following season. It was Simon Stewart who played in that game with Watts.