Would relegation actually be bad in the long run ?

I'll give you an up vote. 

1) Our obsession with getting into the Premier league will end - I can live without VAR, plastic fans and journey men players from around the world that cost £20 million and couldn't find Sheffield on a map.

2) Some of our players may find some shame and ask to have their contracts cancelled 

3) If you follow the Brexit argument that some of our fans adore " We survived in league one before, and we will survive again" 

Relegation would be very bad. It usually takes some time to settle in League 1 and many clubs have ended up with a further relegation. The style in League 1 requires different skills and tactics and we end up a long way from any chance to be ready for a push back to the PL. The income also drops yet again.The boys in red across the City did it quickly but that is a real exception.

The truth is, we have been trying to re-build since the late 90s before we were relegated from the PL. So something like 22 years already. We are already out of the top league for the longest period in our 153 year history. We need to avoid relegation at all costs.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, S70 Owl said:

I know this sounds bad and depressing but would relegation be a bad thing in the long run ? (if we're deducted 10+ points)

would finally give us the clean slate we've needed for 2 plus years and more importantly the chairman. He need's to learn how to run a club and complete rebuild would be the lesson he needs.

out of contract players gone. all the high earners like Bannan would have to leave as they wouldn't take the step down. A new recruitment structure of dipping in to the lower league market.

How many teams have we seen in the last 10 years come from league 1 and then go on to the prem or be on the brink. Blades, Bournemouth and then theres Brentford and Bristol who are on their way.

i'd much rather take the points deduction now and go down rather then next season and sit in the bottom 6.

The problem is there is that many problems at all level of the club, that if we get relegate we won't come back any time soon and could well fall further.

If we lose the case with the stadium sale we are all but relegated either this season or next, we have 10 first team players out of contract in the summer and 4 or 5 loan players. Rhodes and Westwood are still in contract another year and no attempts have been made to get them off the wage bill.

If we get relegated we will lose in the region of £7-10m in tv money, we will still have the wages of Bannan, Reach, Lees, Rhodes, Westwood, Luongo to pay - our recruitment over the whole time that DC has been here other than when Roeder was here has been truly woeful - for anyone unsure - we signed just 3 loan players, one from a Italian 2nd division, one very unfit striker on a big wage and one from a championship team below us who could not get in the first team. Not exactly the sort of players that you think we may have found a gem.

Nothing at the club - the management, the owner, the facilities, the youth set up screams that relegation will be anything more than devastating for the club. 

I would not trust DC to run a bath, let alone rebill a club in massive free fall since he has been here.

Yes Southampton, Sheff Utd, Norwich all went down and came back stronger but equally Swindon, Coventry, Bradford, Portsmouth, Bolton, Sunderland, Blackpool, Chesterfield all clubs with financial problems or chairman clearly out of their depth in football and they are still in the lower reach's of football or in Chessy circumstances could be even further away from league football come the end of this season.

On 17/02/2020 at 14:54, S70 Owl said:

I know this sounds bad and depressing but would relegation be a bad thing in the long run ? (if we're deducted 10+ points)

would finally give us the clean slate we've needed for 2 plus years and more importantly the chairman. He need's to learn how to run a club and complete rebuild would be the lesson he needs.

out of contract players gone. all the high earners like Bannan would have to leave as they wouldn't take the step down. A new recruitment structure of dipping in to the lower league market.

How many teams have we seen in the last 10 years come from league 1 and then go on to the prem or be on the brink. Blades, Bournemouth and then theres Brentford and Bristol who are on their way.

i'd much rather take the points deduction now and go down rather then next season and sit in the bottom 6.

You've listed two teams who have done it and ignored the approximately 30 others that are still in league 1, the championship or league 2.