Would relegation actually be bad in the long run ?

I will never under any circumstances ever understand the mentality around relegation been a good thing. 

If relegation meant that all your current players lose their contract and have to be offered a new one then maybe but it doesn't work like that. 

Annoys me when people say "Let's get relegated and get rid of everyone" 

The first players to go....will be the ones we need.

We will be stuck with the high earners. 

Like Sunderland with Cattermole and Rodwell etc...nobody will take Forestieri, Bannan, Westwood, Lee, Rhodes...only way they leave is when their contract is due.

Will Fletcher resign for League One wages?

59 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Think we need to stay in the championship as long as possible as it helps with attracting better players and ownership and sponsorship etc. 

Even if it’s a 9 point deduction for next season would be better than being in league 1.  

What sponsor ship Chansiri sponsors everything ! 

(not having a pop by the way)

Would be a disaster if we went down be 2 3 seasons to get out L1 IMO

1 hour ago, S70 Owl said:

I know this sounds bad and depressing but would relegation be a bad thing in the long run ? (if we're deducted 10+ points)

would finally give us the clean slate we've needed for 2 plus years and more importantly the chairman. He need's to learn how to run a club and complete rebuild would be the lesson he needs.

out of contract players gone. all the high earners like Bannan would have to leave as they wouldn't take the step down. A new recruitment structure of dipping in to the lower league market.

How many teams have we seen in the last 10 years come from league 1 and then go on to the prem or be on the brink. Blades, Bournemouth and then theres Brentford and Bristol who are on their way.

i'd much rather take the points deduction now and go down rather then next season and sit in the bottom 6.

Are you mad?

:1276983839_MonkHome:

Guest LittleG

Just realised it's half term, we might get more of these ridiculous topics this week. Probably best to stay off the site till next Monday.

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

Not sure how old you are, or if you remember us getting relegated from the premiership. But getting relegated with high earners doesn't always mean they leave. It kind of lead to this shower of shybo we've had for last twenty years.

Yes totally agree, I remember last time and it was sort of implied that we would go straight back up - I'm sure there was an advert asking to buy seasons tickets with Shefki Kuqi on it that said something along the lines of I'll put it in there (pointing to the goal) if you fill up there (kop in the background) and it was marketed along the lines of "Premiership return".

Still waiting!!!!

Edited by thesouthowl
fat fingers!!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We'd be at risk of too many vicious financial cycles. If you go down without much financial baggage and use the drop as a chance to rebuild and reorient towards youth then it can be a blessing (think of Southampton going up twice under Adkins), if not then there's little to stop you turning into the next Portsmouth/Coventry/Bolton.