Sick of the - “Monk needs the summer”

9 hours ago, gurujuan said:

So you reckon we should have kept it going under Jos do you? If a manager, or a player, for that matter, is obviously a bad fit, then you have to change things

His time was up but I don't look back hysterically like the owlstalk myth tells me to. He did a moderately decent job in that first season and it went horrifically wrong in the 2nd in the space of about 10 games. There are things behind the scenes we will never know about. I liked the opportunities he gave to the young lads. Overall, unremarkable, ambilvalence.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, dobbo said:

I never said you were, I don't know you, there are some on here that actively thrive on the manager merry go round, like they can't wait to change managers just for the sake of change, that only support a manager when things are going well, and call for their head after a dodgy 5 game run, if that sounds familiar then yes. The fact you point out comments started in February highlights the point, we were 3rd after 23 games! it's insanity and yes petulant.

I'm not going to start bigging up Monks previous record as partly it's irrelevant and partly, like I said, i'm not his biggest fan myself.

The reasons I would give him time are the many constraints he's had to deal with, no money to spend, an ageing past it's sell by date squad that's needed freshening up for at least 2 years, many players out of contract that clearly wanted out. There is also the fact he hasn't (been allowed!?) to bring any coaching staff or help and the effect of the off field drama. Hopefully most of these constraints are now gone.

Fair enough. I took it aimed at me as I’m one of his fiercest critics. Just to address your other points ( not being argumentative just adding to the discussion) point 1 the ageing  squad: think we all agree it needs “ refreshing”, but he is now talking about keeping Adthe and KL. Now I love them both, but both are ageing, one is limited and the other is ageing with a bad injury record?

His own coaching staff: he has been quoted as saying he is happy with the staff he has and can bring in extra if he wishes. So why no clear out of the coaching staff too this summer? Do they need “ refreshing”

I keep seeing these things trotted out as to why he has struggled, but I’m sorry it just doesn’t add up, and it’s just more excuses. Finally why is his previous record irrelevant when it follows exactly the same pattern as we are seeing here. To me it’s very relevant as it shows maybe the problem is Monk, not the clubs he works for. 

14 hours ago, dobbo said:

His time was up but I don't look back hysterically like the owlstalk myth tells me to. He did a moderately decent job in that first season and it went horrifically wrong in the 2nd in the space of about 10 games. There are things behind the scenes we will never know about. I liked the opportunities he gave to the young lads. Overall, unremarkable, ambilvalence.

There probably is behind the scenes stuff going on, but that has been the same for Carlos, Jos, Bruce, and now Monk, it’s how you deal with it. Two could, and two couldn’t/can’t 

Personally I don’t believe in playing youngsters for the sake of it, if they don’t warrant a place, why should they be included That goes for any player, they should be in the side on merit. All those youngsters Jos threw in have disappeared without trace, because they weren’t good enough

Edited by gurujuan

Monk can have the summer all he want, as long as it's not in charge of this club.

I think we're going into a season with a thin/poor squad and likely a hefty points deduction. There's no way Monk can navigate us through that based on what he's shown so far.

• Thanks 1

On 26/07/2020 at 14:31, gurujuan said:

There probably is behind the scenes stuff going on, but that has been the same for Carlos, Jos, Bruce, and now Monk, it’s how you deal with it. Two could, and two couldn’t/can’t 

Personally I don’t believe in playing youngsters for the sake of it, if they don’t warrant a place, why should they be included That goes for any player, they should be in the side on merit. All those youngsters Jos threw in have disappeared without trace, because they weren’t good enough

Or they were thrown in before they were actually ready.