Sick of the - “Monk needs the summer”

I wouldn’t trust monk in a transfer window....... he could sign messi and we would still look toothless in attack. 

His tactics are dire, he isn’t even 7 months into his time here and the fans already want him gone in the main.

He is a journeyman manager who has been sacked everywhere he’s been. Bloke is only 40 ffs and already into his 5th job.

wake up and smell the concrete. Garry Monk is not the man to take SWFC forward.

Edited by gillyno9

12 minutes ago, gillyno9 said:

I wouldn’t trust monk in a transfer window.......

Really?

Wickham, Windass, and Da Cruz in. Thorniley and Baker out.

I'd say that's a fairly positive transfer window. Could have done with a few more out, but if there are no takers/fees can't be agreed with the owner then not much can be done.

24 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

I have to say I totally disagree.

Manager of SWFC is still an attractive job for many.

Look how Bert McGee managed to sell the club to Big Jack, Wilko and Big Ron.

They would have had plenty of other options.

If you sell SWFC right we could land a manager far far better than the dull boring Mad Monk.

I think times have changed since McGee's days!

We seemingly can't even tempt a manager sacked by Brighton, who would rather stay unemployed for a year!

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

I agree totaly with gillyno9.

In his honeymoon period Monk won some games but the football was dire.

Now the football is still dire but we are getting hammered week in week out by very average teams.

Let's face it the mad Monk is dull and boring and has created a totally toxic atmosphere..

I would rather have appointed Ian Holloway who was avaialble at the time and is now doing really good things at Grimsby.

At least Ollie would make you smile and he does great unsung work supporting deaf children and adults.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Markowski77 said:

The performances were still dire - and papered over the cracks, and in the so called honeymoon period. Don’t get me wrong I was still delighted to be 3rd

Over the sustained period of time I think his PPG ratio shows he is underperforming massively - and how he has handled the media is terrible

I agree, even at Christmas when we were 3rd, there was still the nagging feeling of "how the hell are we in 3rd playing like this?". Other than half a game at Forest and half a game at Boro, being OK at home to Leeds (without scoring) and, oddly, playing some good stuff at WBA despite losing, have we actually performed really well this season? Even that great win at Leeds was down to a gritty defensive performance before snatching 2 late goals on the break.

14 goals scored in 16 home games (11 in 13 games under Monk) is just pathetic and whilst away form looks much healthier and we're still top away scorers that was boosted by scoring 14 of our away goals in just 4 games (12 of those goals coming in just 4 halves of football), in the other away games we've managed a much more meagre 13 in 13. But even that promising away form has dried up, in the last 5 away games we've played at the worst 4 clubs in the division, and returned just 1 point and 4 dire performances from those 4 games.

Pathetic really, and that was mostly achieved with an in-form experienced striker, God knows where we'd be now without Fletcher's contribution.

Is there a stand out manager who the fans could all get behind?   

There seems to be a lack of big personalities who could take on the club who are realistic candidates.

Most seem on a par with each other and sadly I believe we would only attract managers at the same level as the present incumbent.

Bruce had his entourage and Monk appears to be lacking support.  

This panic amongst fans soon as we hit a bad patch doesn't help matters either, surely a manager does need time to build and strengthen his team.

2 hours ago, Markowski77 said:

Bored and tired to death of hearing ‘Monk needs the summer to rebuild’ 

- He has never built a successful team

- He spaffed 50million at boro, in absolute crap 

- He hasn’t actually achieved anything much in management before been found out

- His tactics are hoof ball & belong in a museum 

- He has not shown me one bit of encouragement to trust the guy

- His press conferences are cringeworthy 

- Fallen Out with a number of each people at each club he has been at 

- He doesn’t play his best players

- Changes formation and tactics every game

- He has brought in 3 players who look total garbage (understand only 3 games in) 

Do we really want this man to ‘rebuild Wednesday?’ 

Its the biggest summer in years - we need a plan and project - and for me Monk isn’t the man for it!!

i don’t want monk to bring all these so called players with the right attitude, then be sacked in November for been out of his depth, then be stuck with all his signing we will be back to square one!

if he does stay however and gets the chance, I’d love to be proved wrong

i understand I’ll get negged for this, but it’s a forum, and my opinion 

WAWAW

This is the best post in Owlstalk history !!!!

I’ve thought he needed time for a while and has been unfortunate with Fletcher being out. Saturday worried me a lot though. Having your keeper lump it long every single time into an actual gale force wind was mind boggling. In the early part of the first half, when we got it wide to Harris particularly and got the ball in, we at least looked like we carried a bit of threat.  After that there was nothing. In contrast a terrible Reading side get the ball down and play a couple of passes through the middle of our non existent midfield and we’re all at sea and chasing the game. The players are obviously bang average, but at the same time we look so tactically naive and without any plan at all and that’s scary

1 hour ago, Markowski77 said:

Have you seen de Cruz play ? He wanders round the pitch like a lost boy 

really do hope he turns out to be a good signing though like I do every player we sign 

Genuinely, no I have never seen him play. But that's why I just said I'd heard positive things. Mainly on here 

24 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

If he was trying to implement a decent style of play I'd get behind him 

Unfortunately, it's horrid to watch. 

got to agree with this. So far he's drifted from one formation to another more in hope than anything, but the pattern of play has always been the same in that its just hoof ball and play from there. If he'd had stuck with what worked i.e. keep the wingers wide and cross it would have suited us a lot more.

But now the confidence has gone most of them just hand off to bannan all the time, now he's gone off the boil the rest are clueless.

based on what i've seen from monk I don't want him here is the summer because the team and style he'll potentially go with won't be one that gets us up and we'll be in the same position in x years time.

I agree that the mad Monk needs a summer to enjoy some gardening leave but not as Manager of Sheffield Wednesday.

Makowski has had his OP nominated for best Owlstalk post ever and I cannot disagree with that:

"Bored and tired to death of hearing ‘Monk needs the summer to rebuild’ 

- He has brought in 3 players who look total garbage (understand only 3 games in)"

3 hours ago, Markowski77 said:

- He has brought in 3 players who look total garbage (understand only 3 games in) 

Its the biggest summer in years - we need a plan and project - and for me Monk isn’t the man for it!!

i don’t want monk to bring all these so called players with the right attitude, then be sacked in November for been out of his depth, then be stuck with all his signing we will be back to square one!

WAWAW

No you wouldn't....it would spoil your strop and make you look a pillöck.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Markowski77 said:

WAWA

Problem is no one else wants it. DC had to beg Monk to come

:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Kanye West said:

You really think Monk himself has been impressed with the football?

He did well with our full strength team. Fletcher and Fox have been out and replaced with an out of position right back and a striker who has played only a handful of games in years.

Well he obviously likes playing that way He did while Fletcher was in the side, and he used to play that way at Birmingham It’s awful to watch, doesn’t suit our players, and isn’t particularly effective Also, it was him who decided to replace Fletcher with Wickham

3 hours ago, 83owl said:

There would have been tears on here had we not signed Wickham. His name has been brought up every transfer window since he left, grown men telling Conor to “come home” 

Please dont go down this route again - its like the Jordan Rhodes signing in that case - done because fans want it?

I'd hope we have a manager who has the ability to make his own decisions.

In Wickham's case - I'd like to think it's because he's a decent match for Steven Fletcher - who we're missing BIG style, not just because fans wanted him - but the manager will know an awful lot more than us on that.

The biggest worry about the whole 'need to get to the summer' is that we're only just over half way through the season.

We're throwing away / thrown away a whole season.  What's the point in fans turning up for the rest of the season if there are no expectations?  These same players got us to third, however you want to view if we've been playing rubbish, 3rd was 3rd and no one truly cares about performances if we're winning.

And... let's say the manager gets some seriously good results from these players now - what are they going to do in the summer - let them all go anyway? Great reward. 

Edited by davey_wells