Bannan

17 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I struggle a bit with these anti Bannan sentiments. He’s still our best creative talent, and would be snapped up by virtually every other Championship side, were he to be made available. It’s no coincidence that practically all of the other Championship clubs, have a three man midfield. Bannan will dictate play in a three, but he’ll always struggle in a two. He’s not a lung busting box to box midfielder, the type you’d need, if you are to play a two in there. Monks tactics of bypassing the midfield are never going to get the best out of Bannan, or any player who likes to use the ball. The managers misuse of our resources is criminal

If you consider how desperate we are for cash do you really think any serious offer for him or anyone in our squad would be rejected? 

I just don’t think he’s that in demand. Do you really think he’d take Swift’s place at Reading, Allen’s at Stoke? 

On 16/02/2020 at 09:40, davey_wells said:

Here we go

Bannan has the occasional poor game.

But to label him as one of our biggest problems at a time we're witnessing a world of mess around him is pretty staggering.

bannan himself should not be the problem, the fact that he spends so much time in and around our half of the field is.

when we are defending, bannan should be our side of the centre circle, with our attacking intent on half way. the defence can then play long to the attack, or shorter to bannan allowing him the opportunity of playing the type of ball that ripped l**ds a new 'un at bellend ruwad.

4 hours ago, Philb125 said:

How should we play him, where should we play him, who do we play to do the work he won’t/can’t do... such as; track back, tackle, receive the ball in tight areas, shoot etc? 

It’s a sad indictment of our recruitment that we have not signed the players to get the best out of Bannan in my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

bannan himself should not be the problem, the fact that he spends so much time in and around our half of the field is.

when we are defending, bannan should be our side of the centre circle, with our attacking intent on half way. the defence can then play long to the attack, or shorter to bannan allowing him the opportunity of playing the type of ball that ripped l**ds a new 'un at bellend ruwad.

How can he do this in a two man midfield? 

9 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

If you consider how desperate we are for cash do you really think any serious offer for him or anyone in our squad would be rejected? 

I just don’t think he’s that in demand. Do you really think he’d take Swift’s place at Reading, Allen’s at Stoke? 

Have to disagree mate Don’t think Chansiri would be looking to part with Bannan, but if we were looking to raise money, he surely would have been touted as “ one we’d reluctantly accept offers for” 

I see him as a different type of player to both of those two. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Have to disagree mate Don’t think Chansiri would be looking to part with Bannan, but if we were looking to raise money, he surely would have been touted as “ one we’d reluctantly accept offers for” 

I see him as a different type of player to both of those two. 

They were the two that sprung to mind for who he could go in for and be there midfield conductor. Which type of player do you see him as and would replace if they’d had wanted an upgrade? 

I only ask as week in week out I think I’d swap you for Bannan when seeing other teams dominate our midfield. 

58 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

52 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

How can he do this in a two man midfield? 

point out again will you where I said he 'was' or 'needed' to play in a two man midfield?

are you ok? you're not running a temperature are you? you may need to 'self isolate'.

44 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

They were the two that sprung to mind for who he could go in for and be there midfield conductor. Which type of player do you see him as and would replace if they’d had wanted an upgrade? 

I only ask as week in week out I think I’d swap you for Bannan when seeing other teams dominate our midfield. 

I see him the same as you, a midfield conductor, but he needs to play in a three. To be honest, most midfielders of his type would need to play in a three, and most sides do play that way. We have 2 players, in Bannan and Forestieri, that should give us  a bit of edge in this league. Under this manager, we fail to utilise their skills, preferring to play a more direct type of football, which generally results in bypassing the areas in which those two operate, and just aiming lofted balls into the box. Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with occasionally going long, but FFS, let’s mix it up a bit.

14 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

point out again will you where I said he 'was' or 'needed' to play in a two man midfield?

are you ok? you're not running a temperature are you? you may need to 'self isolate'.

Not sure where I said you did

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I see him the same as you, a midfield conductor, but he needs to play in a three. To be honest, most midfielders of his type would need to play in a three, and most sides do play that way. We have 2 players, in Bannan and Forestieri, that should give us  a bit of edge in this league. Under this manager, we fail to utilise their skills, preferring to play a more direct type of football, which generally results in bypassing the areas in which those two operate, and just aiming lofted balls into the box. Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with occasionally going long, but FFS, let’s mix it up a bit.

at present it's monks call at whatever it takes to get us out of this mess were in, in relation to the unbalanced and aged squad we have.

he has to find a way to solve the 'Gordian knot' issue, and with our pisspoor misfits that will include trying differing tactics, however I have noticed that when trying alternatives posters on here are slagging him of for not sticking to one plan. anybody, and everybody with any reasonable depth of football knowledge knows any manager or coach of 'any worth' has more than one idea, set up, or style.

their objection can only be from the fact that they know very little on football, or have been waiting 'knife unsheathed' ready for his side to fall from it's lofty 3rd. place when fletcher conked out. 

thus I agree with you 'mix it up a bit'.

but it has to be after he has his 'coaching squad' and has moved out some of our hero's, and replaced them with fully functioning footballers in the closed season.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, vulva said:

Is this the Lopez that has bummed around the 2nd division in Spain for most of his career? And now on the Spanish 3rd division. 

Tidy player, especially on a nice September afternoon against poor opposition. 

Yes, rather than the one bumming around in the English second division. 

4 hours ago, thewookieisdown said:

Interesting. There was a consensus a few years ago, in which I joined, that we played Bannan too much on the LH of midfield, and should have used him more centrally.

In retrospect, that consensus looks wrong.

It was very wrong and it was at the time. He was way more effective out on the left

9 minutes ago, markg said:

Yes, rather than the one bumming around in the English second division. 

I'll have you know Bannan has played 85 times in the premier, surrounded by better players (as many on this thread say he needs to thrive), playing better tactics (as many on this thread say he needs to thrive), under better managers (as many on this thread say he needs to thrive), afforded more time on the ball and has the eye watering stats of 2 goals and 7 assists! thats a 1 goal and 3 assists every season!!

Imagine - just imagine a player that offers nothing but creativity, creating that! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Philb125 said:

I'll have you know Bannan has played 85 times in the premier, surrounded by better players (as many on this thread say he needs to thrive), playing better tactics (as many on this thread say he needs to thrive), under better managers (as many on this thread say he needs to thrive), afforded more time on the ball and has the eye watering stats of 2 goals and 7 assists! thats a 1 goal and 3 assists every season!!

Imagine - just imagine a player that offers nothing but creativity, creating that! 

I have just been out for 6 hours and you are still on here arguing a the throw !  lol

3 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

I have just been out for 6 hours and you are still on here arguing a the throw !  lol

Here you are again, running to the wee mans defence, but by offering as much as a defence as Bannan does, none. But just like him, Your effort in being in the area without actually doing anything is noted.

Cheers!