Bannan

8 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

He’s not the main problem, it’s how we use him which is the issue.

We have a player with a lot of talent but playing him in a 4-4-2 we don’t get the best out of him. That’s not Bannan’s fault. 

How should we play him, where should we play him, who do we play to do the work he won’t/can’t do... such as; track back, tackle, receive the ball in tight areas, shoot etc? 

14 minutes ago, markg said:

Said it a few years ago and got hammered on here but Lopez was much the better player 

Is this the Lopez that has bummed around the 2nd division in Spain for most of his career? And now on the Spanish 3rd division. 

Tidy player, especially on a nice September afternoon against poor opposition. 

46 minutes ago, vulva said:

Is this the Lopez that has bummed around the 2nd division in Spain for most of his career? And now on the Spanish 3rd division. 

Tidy player, especially on a nice September afternoon against poor opposition. 

Would a nice May afternoon in London have suited him?

46 minutes ago, Parsons Cross Owl said:

Bannan is better with quality players round him, I wouldn`t write him off just yet.

You should see me when I have quality players around me

31 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Wasn’t fit to lace Bannan’s laces.

Shouldn't that be boots? Bannan doesnt seem capable of lacing his own boots let alone any other player.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

Interesting. There was a consensus a few years ago, in which I joined, that we played Bannan too much on the LH of midfield, and should have used him more centrally.

In retrospect, that consensus looks wrong.

Those Saturdays or Tuesdays when the teamsheet came out with Bannan was LM I used to sigh with dismay, knowing we faced at least 45 minutes of a drab probably goalless football. I used to cheer up towards HT, knowing it was getting close to the point when Carlos would ditch his hopeless Plan A, and switch things so that Bannan would go central and FF wide left.

People forget so easily.

18 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Shouldn't that be boots? Bannan doesnt seem capable of lacing his own boots let alone any other player.

Oops yes.

Bit like Blackadder “So, a fate worse than a fate worse than death”.

Edited by Holmowl

There is certainly something wrong with his football intelligence or if not his desire and work rate. 

How he just switches off as men run past him is baffling just as when he stands ten fifteen yards off his opposition allowing them to play a pass without any pressure on them. He does not appreciate that he often drags a man onto our defense when he could/should take him the other way (I know it is his desire to have the ball) and he appears reluctant to get into and play in the opposition's box.

We are however stuck with him because unlike football pundits who only turn up for certain games scouts will have watched him in more games and probably decided he is not good enough for their teams. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, should know better said:

There is certainly something wrong with his football intelligence or if not his desire and work rate. 

How he just switches off as men run past him is baffling just as when he stands ten fifteen yards off his opposition allowing them to play a pass without any pressure on them. He does not appreciate that he often drags a man onto our defense when he could/should take him the other way (I know it is his desire to have the ball) and he appears reluctant to get into and play in the opposition's box.

We are however stuck with him because unlike football pundits who only turn up for certain games scouts will have watched him in more games and probably decided he is not good enough for their teams. 

I've found myself watching him rather than the game a few times of late, it's incredible how he does enough to look interested without doing anything at all. Doesn't go to man/ball, doesn't mark the runner but is stood next to the ref keeping up with play.

3 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

When we were playing well can’t remember these threads 

strange 

I remember being negged for criticising him during these times. Admittedly, it was more for him frustrating me in slowing down play, missing simple passes etc and me saying I hold him at a higher level similar to reach so when he has a 6 out of 10 game it stands out more.

Unfortunately he's now not even at that level. 

Also when we are playing well, as a team you can carry a luxury player. When we need all hands to the pump, it's a lot harder to hide him. 

2 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

When we were playing well can’t remember these threads 

strange 

That is probably correct in that people do not complain as much if things are going well.

I can though with all integrity say that I have noticed the things I state about Bannan for years, however they are getting worse. The people who sit in and around us in the north were probably pissed off when I complained about his general laziness out of possession but little by little more and more people are watching for it and simply cannot fail to see it now.

I think for people who watch on TV they might not notice as the camera tends to follow the ball, as might commentators  and certain fans, that is their choice. There is also I acknowledge different opinions of how football is played.

I see Bannan as the kid in the playground that wants the ball all the time and tries to play the killer ball all the time but as people grow stronger he withdraws from the more important areas of the field to just play in a comfort zone. 

6 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I remember being negged for criticising him during these times. Admittedly, it was more for him frustrating me in slowing down play, missing simple passes etc and me saying I hold him at a higher level similar to reach so when he has a 6 out of 10 game it stands out more.

Unfortunately he's now not even at that level. 

Also when we are playing well, as a team you can carry a luxury player. When we need all hands to the pump, it's a lot harder to hide him. 

There is so much in that post that’s funny so I am just going to give you a lol

53 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Those Saturdays or Tuesdays when the teamsheet came out with Bannan was LM I used to sigh with dismay, knowing we faced at least 45 minutes of a drab probably goalless football. I used to cheer up towards HT, knowing it was getting close to the point when Carlos would ditch his hopeless Plan A, and switch things so that Bannan would go central and FF wide left.

People forget so easily.

53 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

People forget so easily.

Like the bomb disposal expert with a nervous tic..you learn to forget easily.. sign of a Wednesday survivor..

• Haha 1

I struggle a bit with these anti Bannan sentiments. He’s still our best creative talent, and would be snapped up by virtually every other Championship side, were he to be made available. It’s no coincidence that practically all of the other Championship clubs, have a three man midfield. Bannan will dictate play in a three, but he’ll always struggle in a two. He’s not a lung busting box to box midfielder, the type you’d need, if you are to play a two in there. Monks tactics of bypassing the midfield are never going to get the best out of Bannan, or any player who likes to use the ball. The managers misuse of our resources is criminal

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I struggle a bit with these anti Bannan sentiments. He’s still our best creative talent, and would be snapped up by virtually every other Championship side, were he to be made available. It’s no coincidence that practically all of the other Championship clubs, have a three man midfield. Bannan will dictate play in a three, but he’ll always struggle in a two. He’s not a lung busting box to box midfielder, the type you’d need, if you are to play a two in there. Monks tactics of bypassing the midfield are never going to get the best out of Bannan, or any player who likes to use the ball. The managers misuse of our resources is criminal

I agree that Monks tactics are not helping but BB has been a fading star for the last few years, however he is not helping himself coming into the back four. He has to be braver and allow the back four to push him further up the field. I do think he is finished as regards any defensive capability so do we accept virtually playing with ten when we do not have the ball.

If a manager can get him to look over his shoulder and pick a man up, close down to make it harder for opponents then may be we could afford the luxury.

I am pretty certain that not many championship teams would take him as nearly all of the have more productive or better team players in their midfield. 

• Thanks 1