Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Stoop said:

Yep

 

Good footballer but where do you play him?

 

Like the OP said in Carlos’s first season it worked great. Bannan tucked in and Pudil provided the width. Same with Hunt and Wallace on the other side. This also allowed Hutchinson to drop in between Loovens and Lees as we had movement and numbers in midfield to cause teams problems. It was a joy to watch 

 

What we’ve seen since then is a more static rigid midfield, and Bannan often gets squeezed out so he’s often coming deep to get on the ball. It’s sh*te and imo is the main problem with our team 

He plays on the wing or nowhere 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

He plays on the wing or nowhere 

In Carlos’ system yes, but he’ll just start roaming infield to get the ball, leaving a massive hole out wide

 

We had the perfect system and players to do it back then. Not now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

Bannan is by far our best player, but he consistently wanders from his position and totally destroys the shape of the team. How can any manager work around that? 

 

Does he? How?

 

Go and look at his positional play on any stat site and you couldn’t find a player who averages a more central role, both in terms of the length and width of the pitch. 

 

Yes he gets around, but that’s what creative midfielders should do surely? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

He plays on the wing or nowhere 

 

5 minutes ago, Stoop said:

In Carlos’ system yes, but he’ll just start roaming infield to get the ball, leaving a massive hole out wide

 

We had the perfect system and players to do it back then. Not now

 

Time has clouded your memory lads. Go and look at the games he played wide compared to central. Look at the results. Look at how often Carlos was forced to change it at HT or later, and how it worked. Look at our best games. Look where Bannan played.

 

Dont look at one game, or two. Consider all of them. 

 

He’s a CM.

 

Plus, if you get your wish and push Bannan to LW (thereby no Harris and possibly no FF btw) who would you choose as our CMs without Hutch or Luongo or Reach?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

 

Does he? How?

 

Go and look at his positional play on any stat site and you couldn’t find a player who averages a more central role, both in terms of the length and width of the pitch. 

 

Yes he gets around, but that’s what creative midfielders should do surely? 

 

When he comes deep for the ball and assuming he's paired with a defensive midfielder, who's the advanced central midfield outlet? Let's for arguments sake say he'll use the wingers as outlets... But then doesn't that make us predictable and easy to defend against when the opposition know exactly the only place where the ball can go?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Said it for years that both Bannan and Hutchinson can't play together as central midfielders as both drop into the defensive line. When they play together we end up with no-one in the middle of the park. Much that I like a lot of Bannan's qualities, more so than Hutchinson's, they are both part of the problem in their preferred position.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, james o connor said:

Bannan is one of biggest on field problems . Loves sitting back, passing backwards , looks good on you tube reel but is actually not very good 

Well said. He back passes more and more.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

 

Sorry, but the day I agree that Joey no tackles is more effective than one of the best midfielders in the division, is the day I give up.

Joey passed the ball in to touch near the halfway line twice in the first half... He was still looking to pass to bannan even though he was on the bench!...unbelievable Jeff. 

  • Agree 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bannan is our best player...You can argue pitch and throw we should be playing him differently...but he actually is our best player.

Look at the MOMS we award...look at what the actual pro pundits say.

One of Bannans main drawbacks is actually demanding the ball..this has led to an over reliance on him...He drops back cos he knows the centre halves can't distribute...He moves into midfield...cos thats inadequate...and tries to link it to what for f.ookin' weeks has been a front 1.

I don't like slating individual players...But the first thing Joey does if playing with Bannan..is try to pass it to Bannan...Lees is the same...Theres only Luongo and sometimes Harris ignore him and try summat else..Then Bazza goes mental at them...but it sometimes needs doing.

Don't throw the Bazza out with the bathwater...Cos its simply a matter of using him properly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm one of those who thinks Bannan is our best player BUT even I have to concede that he's been a pile of SH'ITE for the last month at least. I agree that we're no longer getting the best out of him. 

 

I think this is down to our tactics. There's a reason why very few teams play two wide wingers and its because it leaves the centre of midfield wide open. For a while we solved it by having 3 in midfield with just one up front but we moaned because only Fletcher was scoring. So we then played two up top and left too many gaps in centre midfield. Bannan has spent the last two months running his little legs off trying to plug those gaps but now he's knackered.

 

We complain that he plays too deep but, as someone has pointed out, when Hutchinson plays, Bannan gets 10 yards further up the pitch.

 

Another problem he faces as our supposed playmaker is a lack of people to play to. He does his spin, makes time to pick a pass, looks up and bloody hell there's no-one making a run, either into a channel or coming short. As a team we've just stopped running around for more than 10 minutes.

 

I don't know what to make of his tantrums during games. He just seems so p'd off when others make mistakes (especially the ref). Should we applaud his passion? Or is he bad for morale?

 

I think he tries to lead by example but spreads himself too thinly. I noticed yesterday he was having a fit when he had to cover at right back because da Cruz (who was supposed to be there) wandered into midfield and showed no intention of getting back in place. Da Cruz argued he was being subbed anyway but Bannan was waving his arms at the bench as if to say 'Why am I having to do this?' In this case Bannan at least did the responsible thing of playing right back himself when he saw that no-one else was doing it.

 

But he always looks the most frustrated player on the pitch.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard that Rangers wanted to take Bannan on deadline day he wanted to go and the club blocked the move. Apparently he's kicked up a right stink about it. Not sure how true but could be the reason he looks so disinterested. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, owl84 said:

Heard that Rangers wanted to take Bannan on deadline day he wanted to go and the club blocked the move. Apparently he's kicked up a right stink about it. Not sure how true but could be the reason he looks so disinterested. 

Where did you hear that? He's a Celtic fan!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The issue with Bannan is knowing where to play him .. he's like one of those luxury players where its difficult to slot him in unless you change your formation to suit.

 

Juan Veron a good example at Manure. He was brilliant for Inter and Argentina, but for Man U in central midfield he found it difficult. I think the same applies for Bannan

 

We know his talents. We know what he's good at. His best football is the final attacking third where his quick vision and passing can reek havoc on the opposition.

 

The problem, and not through his own, is that managers constantly pick him as a central midfielder. Its been prevalent through much of his career and for Scotland. He can be effective but he needs a defensive screen behind him otherwise he drops deep to collect the ball and instead of being a dynamic player driving up and down he floats over balls or drives a hollywood ball out wide, then slowly gets up the pitch or wildly closes down leaving massive gaps in the middle.

 

You know he wants the ball so if you are going to play him he needs to be the pivot behind the strikers, feeding the ball out wide or through balls forward.

 

I think this is why many get frustrated with him, seeing him dropping to centre back to pick up the ball, then he's too deep to do anything.

 

The issue we have is that we don't have other players to fill in the defensive midfield roles like say a younger Grant Leadbitter or an Adam Clayton or Mo Diame or like a box to box Tom Cairny type .. Hutch aint playing again, KLee aint fit enoug, Pessy probably not good enough so we are limited

 

AND you know what .. its something WE'VE all been harping on about since the Wembley final against Hull.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

The issue with Bannan is knowing where to play him .. he's like one of those luxury players where its difficult to slot him in unless you change your formation to suit.

 

Juan Veron a good example at Manure. He was brilliant for Inter and Argentina, but for Man U in central midfield he found it difficult. I think the same applies for Bannan

 

We know his talents. We know what he's good at. His best football is the final attacking third where his quick vision and passing can reek havoc on the opposition.

 

The problem, and not through his own, is that managers constantly pick him as a central midfielder. Its been prevalent through much of his career and for Scotland. He can be effective but he needs a defensive screen behind him otherwise he drops deep to collect the ball and instead of being a dynamic player driving up and down he floats over balls or drives a hollywood ball out wide, then slowly gets up the pitch or wildly closes down leaving massive gaps in the middle.

 

You know he wants the ball so if you are going to play him he needs to be the pivot behind the strikers, feeding the ball out wide or through balls forward.

 

I think this is why many get frustrated with him, seeing him dropping to centre back to pick up the ball, then he's too deep to do anything.

 

The issue we have is that we don't have other players to fill in the defensive midfield roles like say a younger Grant Leadbitter or an Adam Clayton or Mo Diame or like a box to box Tom Cairny type .. Hutch aint playing again, KLee aint fit enoug, Pessy probably not good enough so we are limited

 

AND you know what .. its something WE'VE all been harping on about since the Wembley final against Hull.

AND you know what .. its something WE'VE all been harping on about since the Wembley final against Hull.

 

The above is the most frustrating thing about it all

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Hitcat said:

Bannan is by far our best player, but he consistently wanders from his position and totally destroys the shape of the team. How can any manager work around that? 

He hasn't got a lot of competition tbf. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

The issue with Bannan is knowing where to play him .. he's like one of those luxury players where its difficult to slot him in unless you change your formation to suit.

 

Juan Veron a good example at Manure. He was brilliant for Inter and Argentina, but for Man U in central midfield he found it difficult. I think the same applies for Bannan

 

We know his talents. We know what he's good at. His best football is the final attacking third where his quick vision and passing can reek havoc on the opposition.

 

The problem, and not through his own, is that managers constantly pick him as a central midfielder. Its been prevalent through much of his career and for Scotland. He can be effective but he needs a defensive screen behind him otherwise he drops deep to collect the ball and instead of being a dynamic player driving up and down he floats over balls or drives a hollywood ball out wide, then slowly gets up the pitch or wildly closes down leaving massive gaps in the middle.

 

You know he wants the ball so if you are going to play him he needs to be the pivot behind the strikers, feeding the ball out wide or through balls forward.

 

I think this is why many get frustrated with him, seeing him dropping to centre back to pick up the ball, then he's too deep to do anything.

 

The issue we have is that we don't have other players to fill in the defensive midfield roles like say a younger Grant Leadbitter or an Adam Clayton or Mo Diame or like a box to box Tom Cairny type .. Hutch aint playing again, KLee aint fit enoug, Pessy probably not good enough so we are limited

 

AND you know what .. its something WE'VE all been harping on about since the Wembley final against Hull.

 

28 minutes ago, billyblack said:

AND you know what .. its something WE'VE all been harping on about since the Wembley final against Hull.

 

The above is the most frustrating thing about it all


Bannan wasn’t CM in the final. Carlos wasted him out wide left. One of the reasons we were a shambles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

 


Bannan wasn’t CM in the final. Carlos wasted him out wide left. One of the reasons we were a shambles.

I know that. I meant we still never addressed the CM issues since that day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are so many different areas of the squad and club that needs addressing before we view Bannan as the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His entire contribution over recent games seems to be doing a 360 turn with the ball on the half way line and then losing possession

 

He’s not on his own though and at least his little turns could be classed as entertainment 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Blue and white said:

He hasn't got a lot of competition tbf. 

True

  • Disagree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...