Bannan

12 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

Sorry, but the day I agree that Joey no tackles is more effective than one of the best midfielders in the division, is the day I give up.

Joey passed the ball in to touch near the halfway line twice in the first half... He was still looking to pass to bannan even though he was on the bench!...unbelievable Jeff. 

• Haha 2

Bannan is our best player...You can argue pitch and throw we should be playing him differently...but he actually is our best player.

Look at the MOMS we award...look at what the actual pro pundits say.

One of Bannans main drawbacks is actually demanding the ball..this has led to an over reliance on him...He drops back cos he knows the centre halves can't distribute...He moves into midfield...cos thats inadequate...and tries to link it to what for f.ookin' weeks has been a front 1.

I don't like slating individual players...But the first thing Joey does if playing with Bannan..is try to pass it to Bannan...Lees is the same...Theres only Luongo and sometimes Harris ignore him and try summat else..Then Bazza goes mental at them...but it sometimes needs doing.

Don't throw the Bazza out with the bathwater...Cos its simply a matter of using him properly

I'm one of those who thinks Bannan is our best player BUT even I have to concede that he's been a pile of SH'ITE for the last month at least. I agree that we're no longer getting the best out of him. 

I think this is down to our tactics. There's a reason why very few teams play two wide wingers and its because it leaves the centre of midfield wide open. For a while we solved it by having 3 in midfield with just one up front but we moaned because only Fletcher was scoring. So we then played two up top and left too many gaps in centre midfield. Bannan has spent the last two months running his little legs off trying to plug those gaps but now he's knackered.

We complain that he plays too deep but, as someone has pointed out, when Hutchinson plays, Bannan gets 10 yards further up the pitch.

Another problem he faces as our supposed playmaker is a lack of people to play to. He does his spin, makes time to pick a pass, looks up and bloody hell there's no-one making a run, either into a channel or coming short. As a team we've just stopped running around for more than 10 minutes.

I don't know what to make of his tantrums during games. He just seems so p'd off when others make mistakes (especially the ref). Should we applaud his passion? Or is he bad for morale?

I think he tries to lead by example but spreads himself too thinly. I noticed yesterday he was having a fit when he had to cover at right back because da Cruz (who was supposed to be there) wandered into midfield and showed no intention of getting back in place. Da Cruz argued he was being subbed anyway but Bannan was waving his arms at the bench as if to say 'Why am I having to do this?' In this case Bannan at least did the responsible thing of playing right back himself when he saw that no-one else was doing it.

But he always looks the most frustrated player on the pitch.

1 hour ago, owl84 said:

Heard that Rangers wanted to take Bannan on deadline day he wanted to go and the club blocked the move. Apparently he's kicked up a right stink about it. Not sure how true but could be the reason he looks so disinterested. 

Where did you hear that? He's a Celtic fan!

• Haha 1

The issue with Bannan is knowing where to play him .. he's like one of those luxury players where its difficult to slot him in unless you change your formation to suit.

Juan Veron a good example at Manure. He was brilliant for Inter and Argentina, but for Man U in central midfield he found it difficult. I think the same applies for Bannan

We know his talents. We know what he's good at. His best football is the final attacking third where his quick vision and passing can reek havoc on the opposition.

The problem, and not through his own, is that managers constantly pick him as a central midfielder. Its been prevalent through much of his career and for Scotland. He can be effective but he needs a defensive screen behind him otherwise he drops deep to collect the ball and instead of being a dynamic player driving up and down he floats over balls or drives a hollywood ball out wide, then slowly gets up the pitch or wildly closes down leaving massive gaps in the middle.

You know he wants the ball so if you are going to play him he needs to be the pivot behind the strikers, feeding the ball out wide or through balls forward.

I think this is why many get frustrated with him, seeing him dropping to centre back to pick up the ball, then he's too deep to do anything.

The issue we have is that we don't have other players to fill in the defensive midfield roles like say a younger Grant Leadbitter or an Adam Clayton or Mo Diame or like a box to box Tom Cairny type .. Hutch aint playing again, KLee aint fit enoug, Pessy probably not good enough so we are limited

AND you know what .. its something WE'VE all been harping on about since the Wembley final against Hull.

2 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

The issue with Bannan is knowing where to play him .. he's like one of those luxury players where its difficult to slot him in unless you change your formation to suit.

Juan Veron a good example at Manure. He was brilliant for Inter and Argentina, but for Man U in central midfield he found it difficult. I think the same applies for Bannan

We know his talents. We know what he's good at. His best football is the final attacking third where his quick vision and passing can reek havoc on the opposition.

The problem, and not through his own, is that managers constantly pick him as a central midfielder. Its been prevalent through much of his career and for Scotland. He can be effective but he needs a defensive screen behind him otherwise he drops deep to collect the ball and instead of being a dynamic player driving up and down he floats over balls or drives a hollywood ball out wide, then slowly gets up the pitch or wildly closes down leaving massive gaps in the middle.

You know he wants the ball so if you are going to play him he needs to be the pivot behind the strikers, feeding the ball out wide or through balls forward.

I think this is why many get frustrated with him, seeing him dropping to centre back to pick up the ball, then he's too deep to do anything.

The issue we have is that we don't have other players to fill in the defensive midfield roles like say a younger Grant Leadbitter or an Adam Clayton or Mo Diame or like a box to box Tom Cairny type .. Hutch aint playing again, KLee aint fit enoug, Pessy probably not good enough so we are limited

AND you know what .. its something WE'VE all been harping on about since the Wembley final against Hull.

The above is the most frustrating thing about it all

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

28 minutes ago, billyblack said:

The above is the most frustrating thing about it all

Bannan wasn’t CM in the final. Carlos wasted him out wide left. One of the reasons we were a shambles.

I've said all season that I haven't seen a midfield (home or away) that I wouldn't swap for our midfield. Our midfield is the cause of where we are at right now. Fix the midfield and we have better performances front and back. It's why midfielders are highly sought after. We don't have one.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, toooldforthis said:

I've said all season that I haven't seen a midfield (home or away) that I wouldn't swap for our midfield. Our midfield is the cause of where we are at right now. Fix the midfield and we have better performances front and back. It's why midfielders are highly sought after. We don't have one.

I agree completely, what I'd give for the lad Swift at reading. 24, free transfer 5 goals and 9 assists this season... but in all honesty its pretty much every CM that plays us. 

There a players at every team that offer more than our limited lot. League One is full of young CM's that offer energy, tackling, passing with creation and goals. Quick search finds Cameron Brannagan, never heard of him but out of contract next summer, ex Liverpool 7 goals, 5 assists can play DCM or CM.

Why don't we take a chance on two or three like that and see what they offer. 

5 hours ago, Baldrick said:

His entire contribution over recent games seems to be doing a 360 turn with the ball on the half way line and then losing possession

He’s not on his own though and at least his little turns could be classed as entertainment 

He practised them at half time saturday...Bloke behind me says..."Bazzas coming on..he's practisin' his spinnin'"

lol

• Haha 1

I've not read all the comments on this topic but I've been saying for 3 years that he plays too deep and doesn't help us going forward. Him and Hutch as the 2 CM's are a nightmare for us there is no support for the forwards. Even in 2016/17 when we had good results, it wasn't easy on the eye as we didn't press teams like we did the season before, when BB was playing left midfield.

3 minutes ago, Bramhall Owl said:

I've not read all the comments on this topic but I've been saying for 3 years that he plays too deep and doesn't help us going forward. Him and Hutch as the 2 CM's are a nightmare for us there is no support for the forwards. Even in 2016/17 when we had good results, it wasn't easy on the eye as we didn't press teams like we did the season before, when BB was playing left midfield.

As have i, a lot of stuff now being said about Bannan is exactly what I've said for the last 3 and a half seasons. He is not as good as he thinks he is, bad for team morale, but does a lovely pirouette. Add in his one long ball that creates a chance every 3 games and its little wonder that some on here think he is the new Zidane. He is and has been our main problem on the field. 

• Like 1