Jump to content
ponym110

Does Monk have what it takes to be a manager

Recommended Posts

Didn't think much of him before he was appointed and was vehemently against his appointment, primarily due to all the shady stuff being rumoured about him, felt won over when we were 3rd and on a decent run but the last 10 or so games have shown me he's clearly not suited for this club and this squad of players, we're not playing as a team, we don't have a clear shape/strategy, again it reminds me of Jos before we got rid of him, Bullen took over and we were a team again, a squad again, Bruce took over and he had us playing as a team, Monk has now lost that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

 

All roads unfortunately lead to DC.

True.. until his listens to people that understand the game we are on a continuous downward spiral. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed, it's a results business and you simply have to man manage the dressing room.

 

Just been reading about Ian Holloway at Grimsby - when he joined at the end of December, their last win had been at the end of September. Since he joined, they have won 5, drawn 3 and lost 2, so a meaningful turnaround. Always liked him and would have liked to have seen him at Hillsborough - he's had 2 teams promoted from the Championship.

Edited by Daz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was reminded of it yesterday - I must have blotted it out of my mind- but the refusal to shake the Birmingham manager’s hand was a strange one. It’s a symbolic football ritual and not doing it seemed extraordinarily petty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Results say otherwise but it may not be his fault. 


I said decent, not amazing, and in the context of the season circumstances.

 

Sounds like you expected a lot more...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, slinger208b said:


I said decent, not amazing, and in the context of the season circumstances.

 

Sounds like you expected a lot more...

 

I don’t expect much but I didn’t expect to be tonked at home by Blackburn and Reading, be outplayed by Barnsley and lose to Wigan and Luton. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He hasn’t done anything that Bullen wasn’t doing, so what was the point in appointing him He’s dull, and his football is dull.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

It's a big question that needs asking.

 

Why has Monk not been allowed to bring his coaches in ?

 

Why is Bully,  part of numerous failed regimes, still a key part of a failed coaching set up ?

Agreed, Bruce brought his 2 mates with him. Could be the only way to keep us up might be to sack the coaching staff and let Monk bring his own staff and freshen things up a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

I don’t expect much but I didn’t expect to be tonked at home by Blackburn and Reading, be outplayed by Barnsley and lose to Wigan and Luton. 


Interesting that all the matches you have focussed on are defeats. So you expected all of the wins?

 

This is why I think the season should be seen as a whole, results won’t always go as expected, for or against, so is there any point in dissecting it all?..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, slinger208b said:


Interesting that all the matches you have focussed on are defeats. So you expected all of the wins?

 

This is why I think the season should be seen as a whole, results won’t always go as expected, for or against, so is there any point in dissecting it all?..

It’s not just about results, although it soon may well be What we should be seeing now, is us trying to perfect Monk’s way of playing We are seeing no such thing, tactics, if there are any, are all over the place, leaving the players concerned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, slinger208b said:


Interesting that all the matches you have focussed on are defeats. So you expected all of the wins?

 

This is why I think the season should be seen as a whole, results won’t always go as expected, for or against, so is there any point in dissecting it all?..

Even the wins were flipping boring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

It's a big question that needs asking.

 

Why has Monk not been allowed to bring his coaches in ?

 

Why is Bully,  part of numerous failed regimes, still a key part of a failed coaching set up ?

On that basis people could argue that Steven Fletcher is part of numerous failed campaigns - yet we'd have him starting every game if possible 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All these criticisms, that he is tactically naive, doesn’t have a plan B etc were levelled at him at Swansea and Middlesbrough. Gibson sacked him as the team were in a bit of disarray having spent a fortune too. I am seriously worried that this has all the hallmarks of another manager about to bite the dust. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

 

Not sure how we can hope for a director of football, when DC won't even allow Monk to bring in his own coaching team.

 

I think that's been pretty scandalous to be honest. It's a big job, and to tell him his coaches can't come, and all he can have is Bully was foolish.

Particularly as one of the common denominators in our stale existence over the last 3 seasons is Bullen. 

I like the man but I don’t see him as dynamic enough to be a no 2.

He seems to exist in a comfort zone with some of our senior players. Does he get the best out of them, or is he just there to put his arm round them when things aren’t going well.

We’re regularly saying there’s no leaders in the pitch, I don't think there are many leaders at the club.

Another example of DC’s inability to see what’s in front of him.

As for Monk not having his own staff - did he join us knowing that ? Take it or leave it - it took a while to get a new manager in place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, davey_wells said:

On that basis people could argue that Steven Fletcher is part of numerous failed campaigns - yet we'd have him starting every game if possible 

 

Nice try Bully.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, slinger208b said:


Interesting that all the matches you have focussed on are defeats. So you expected all of the wins?

 

This is why I think the season should be seen as a whole, results won’t always go as expected, for or against, so is there any point in dissecting it all?..


so regardless of who’s in charge you are happy with performances and our form and league position then ?
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Particularly as one of the common denominators in our stale existence over the last 3 seasons is Bullen. 

I like the man but I don’t see him as dynamic enough to be a no 2.

He seems to exist in a comfort zone with some of our senior players. Does he get the best out of them, or is he just there to put his arm round them when things aren’t going well.

We’re regularly saying there’s no leaders in the pitch, I don't think there are many leaders at the club.

Another example of DC’s inability to see what’s in front of him.

As for Monk not having his own staff - did he join us knowing that ? Take it or leave it - it took a while to get a new manager in place.

I’m not particularly defending Bullen here, but our players usually respond better to encouragement, in fact most players will do.  Rightly, or wrongly, modern players will not respond to coaches balling them out, even if it’s what we think is needed. Better the Carlos/Bruce approach, where players encouraged to buy nto the coaches ideas. 
 

Edited by gurujuan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:


so regardless of who’s in charge you are happy with performances and our form and league position then ?
 

 


This topic is about Monk, so feel free to track back the conversation that includes the comment you quoted for my opinion instead of isolating points that aren’t relevant and taking them out of context...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, slinger208b said:


This topic is about Monk, so feel free to track back the conversation that includes the comment you quoted for my opinion instead of isolating points that aren’t relevant and taking them out of context...


I commented on the part I wanted to question, I didn’t know I wasn’t allowed to ask questions that interested me. 
thanks for pointing it out though at least now in future I know I have to address every part of every answer I read. 
thanks for updating me on the rules of using a forum 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’m not particularly defending Bullen here, but our players usually respond better to encouragement, in fact most players will do.  Rightly, or wrongly, modern players will not respond to coaches balling them out, even if it’s what we think is needed. Better the Carlos/Bruce approach, where players encouraged to buy nto the coaches ideas. 
 

I disagree with what you are saying, but who knows whether Monk has tried that or not (I’d hope so), and we should remember that when Monk first came, the team we’re productive. 

 

I can’t believe that any fall outs are purely down to Monk. FF has been a divisive character on here, so I imagine there’s a big element of that in the dressing room. 

If he’s chosen to manage others out, it’s his decision to make. 

Too often the tail has wagged the dog in this squad, and it seems to have resurfaced again. 

There maybe an element of some know that they are coming to the end of their time here and have chucked it in.  

Which comes back to your point about modern players.

When an employee gets a pay rise 2 months after refusing to work, the employer is exposed to more of the same. 

DC seems to have learnt his lessons in the wrong order.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...