If Monk Leaves...

3 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

We're still a better option than managing some club out in the backarse of Qatar.

I'm sure he's on a very good salary out there but sometimes taking a pay-cut for a better job makes sense.

Jokanovic's pride will still be hurting after the Fulham debacle put a blot on his CV.  He won't be offered another Premier League job anytime soon without restoring his reputation first.

What better way for Jokanovic to shove the critic's word's down their throats than by getting a third PL promotion?

Personally I would share your view of managing in Qatar - in fact I’m not entirely sure why anyone would go there, but that’s a completely different discussion.  Hope Jokanovic is starting to think the same way, would love to see him at Hillsborough next season if Monk ends up leaving.

On 15/02/2020 at 23:15, malek said:

Personally I feel we need tyrant of a manager, with my way of highway sort of personality.

Welllll, we've had 2 managers now that have fallen out with arguably 2 of our best players (Hutch & Westwood), so I'd say that approach is definitely not going to work.

Who would you want to replace him ? Then again, who in his right state of mind and a bit of reputation would want to come anywhere near to club with problems like we have ?!

Personally I feel we need tyrant of a manager, with my way of highway sort of personality. Last one of this dying breed I knew got blackballed from managing in football league for calling out FA for poor job they are doing and calling owner of a club he managed an idiot.

I wonder if part of reason Houghton didnt want the job is because of this sale of Hillsborough rubbish maybe once all that is cleared he might come available?? But personally leave it to monk still I think hes going to get it right 

• Like 1

On 16/02/2020 at 09:29, Philb125 said:

Who ever comes in has a pretty thankless task ahead of them it would seem. Similar (but at a vastly lower quality) to Ole at Manu, the current task is to clear the decks and go back to basics. Whoever we bring in faces those same challenges but I’d like for us to start thinking to the future rather than the past. 

It’s a shame we’re now in relegation form as I’d have loved to see Grant and a few others given game time, but instead we have loanees taking those slots. I wonder if any of them have pre arranged deals to come next year if they do well? 

My worry for monk is I’m not sure he’s ever turned a bad run around. Was good at Swansea and Leeds while things went well but no track record of coming through a bad spell and getting teams back to good form. 

IF we were a club that went on track records, then Warnock would be manager.

On 17/02/2020 at 05:39, Westfield Owl said:

We're still a better option than managing some club out in the backarse of Qatar.

I'm sure he's on a very good salary out there but sometimes taking a pay-cut for a better job makes sense.

Jokanovic's pride will still be hurting after the Fulham debacle put a blot on his CV.  He won't be offered another Premier League job anytime soon without restoring his reputation first.

What better way for Jokanovic to shove the critic's word's down their throats than by getting a third PL promotion?

Not much hope of us going up any time soon. Hard to see anyone decent wanting the job. 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
On 16/02/2020 at 08:19, S26 Owl said:

As much as I dont want it to happen and think we need a complete fresh start, the available managers list is grim (even worse than before Monk!!). Think it needs to be Bullen to the end of the season and go from there with all the contracts expired

At least Westwood and Hutch would be reinstated. Wouldn’t have to see Pelupessy pretend to be a footballer anymore and would give Dawson the break he needs to hopefully come back stronger and reach his potential (trying to be nicer to him...)

2 minutes ago, GHS said:

No idea. Proven track records.

Let's be honest, they couldn't do much worse.

At least players would be playing in correct positions

Pulis got the boot because results were poor and football was awful.

Warnock much the same.  They are dinosaurs.  The game has moved on without them.

Just not bothered...

Who would you want to replace him ? Then again, who in his right state of mind and a bit of reputation would want to come anywhere near to club with problems like we have ?!

Personally I feel we need tyrant of a manager, with my way of highway sort of personality. Last one of this dying breed I knew got blackballed from managing in football league for calling out FA for poor job they are doing and calling owner of a club he managed an idiot.

Hutch as manager & Westwood as assistant :ph34r:.

Alternatively I would take Allegri or Pochettino at a push.

Edited by jp1981

I think if I was in charge I would probably get rid of Monk as he has lost the players and most of the crowd. 
Would take something really special to win people back over now.
But what I think is more important then getting rid of the manager is putting in place a proper coaching set up.
Monk or whoever needs a proper assistant maybe two. Need someone like a Stuart Gray or Terry Burton type figure who knows coaching players inside out to get us organised  and hard to beat. Then once we have a good base we start thinking about playing attractive football.
I may be wrong but I don't get the impression Bullen is a great coach.

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

I think if I was in charge I would probably get rid of Monk as he has lost the players and most of the crowd. 
Would take something really special to win people back over now.
But what I think is more important then getting rid of the manager is putting in place a proper coaching set up.
Monk or whoever needs a proper assistant maybe two. Need someone like a Stuart Gray or Terry Burton type figure who knows coaching players inside out to get us organised  and hard to beat. Then once we have a good base we start thinking about playing attractive football.
I may be wrong but I don't get the impression Bullen is a great coach.

Certainly it seems that there is very little tactical nous on offer at the moment

• Like 1

On 16/02/2020 at 11:08, Terryowl said:

I know it won’t suit most on here but I would take Carlos back.

He never had problems with the frozen out and gave us the best 2 years out the last 23 years.

Monk has to go course he’s done now at SWFC and if he stays were down.

I don't normally neg bud, but please no. 

Carlos was part of the problems were now lumbered with. 

Yes he's been the best manager we've had in the last 23 years. 

Though the easy answer to that was SOMONE ELSE built the backbone of that side, but wasn't allowed to carry on. 

Add to the fact that he was the first manager in the last 20+ years that was able to spend more than a packet of peanuts & a pint on new signings. 

We wasted close to around £20 million on crap during Carlos and the Portuguese connections time here. 

Pudil was good, Rhodes, abdi, VanAkren, Jones, boyd, joao were all awful 90% of the time. 

Then there were those signings that never pulled on a shirt. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

16 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

I don't normally neg bud, but please no. 

Carlos was part of the problems were now lumbered with. 

Yes he's been the best manager we've had in the last 23 years. 

Though the easy answer to that was SOMONE ELSE built the backbone of that side, but wasn't allowed to carry on. 

Add to the fact that he was the first manager in the last 20+ years that was able to spend more than a packet of peanuts & a pint on new signings. 

We wasted close to around £20 million on crap during Carlos and the Portuguese connections time here. 

Pudil was good, Rhodes, abdi, VanAkren, Jones, boyd, joao were all awful 90% of the time. 

Then there were those signings that never pulled on a shirt. 

Just shows what a good coach he was, if he was able to get such a bunch of cr@p to the play offs, twice