If Monk Leaves...

1 minute ago, The Night-Owl said:

Monk's record was suspect before he even came here at the time he wasn't even one of my preferred choices, I think I wanted the likes of Hughton, Neil or the Cowley Brothers. I reckon when Monk inevitably goes, Bullen should go too, he's been a part of numerous failed regimes.

We need to start fresh with a no nonsense old school manager, just to keep us up and then re-evaluate and rebuild in the summer. In the short term we need a Hughton, Warnock or Megson, for example. But in the long term I'd bring in a up and coming manager or something, someone on the rise and build an identity with them. Whilst bringing in younger players or players with resale value and start making profit on players, like most other clubs.

Our problems run much deeper than the manager but we're presently in as bad form as when Jos was axed. Long term we need a more sensible and forward thinking approach. Even if it takes time, we just need to see things improving on and off the pitch, with a plan and structure in place.

Not for me an old school manager. Given the likely recruitment problems, rather than a Ron the Manager type, we need a coach with some tactical nous, who can establish a style of football throughout the club. Someone who can work with the players at all levels, helping to develop them as players who will be comfortable on the ball

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Not for me an old school manager. Given the likely recruitment problems, rather than a Ron the Manager type, we need a coach with some tactical nous, who can establish a style of football throughout the club. Someone who can work with the players at all levels, helping to develop them as players who will be comfortable on the ball

We can't gamble on young managers like Monk. We just need to stay up. DC's ineptitude and Bruce leaving us in the lurch and Monk not being up to it, as left us in a similar state to what we were in after Jos and pre-Bruce. Bullen needs to go with Monk, has he's a part of the problem and been a part of numerous failed regimes. We just need to stay up and stabilise, a strong minded experienced manager is the best option for now in the short term. We need another Bruce. Colin has the best record at this level along with Bruce. He stabilised Cardiff and got them up recently, he ain't good enough for the top flight but we're nowhere near it, we just need to stay up and build again, there's no-one better at stabilising clubs at this level than the likes of Colin.

1 minute ago, A12owl said:

Warnock wouldn't have his heart in managing us. He would see it as a joke and would laugh all the way at how desparate we would be to appoint him.

A BIG no thank you from me.

We also have to get away from this style of football, it peeing off the players, and it’s peeing off the supporters Neither Warnock, nor Megson would help with that

3 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Monk's record was suspect before he even came here at the time he wasn't even one of my preferred choices, I think I wanted the likes of Hughton, Neil or the Cowley Brothers. I reckon when Monk inevitably goes, Bullen should go too, he's been a part of numerous failed regimes.

We need to start fresh with a no nonsense old school manager, just to keep us up and then re-evaluate and rebuild in the summer. In the short term we need a Hughton, Warnock or Megson, for example. But in the long term I'd bring in a up and coming manager or something, someone on the rise and build an identity with them. Whilst bringing in younger players or players with resale value and start making profit on players, like most other clubs.

Our problems run much deeper than the manager but we're presently in as bad form as when Jos was axed. Long term we need a more sensible and forward thinking approach. Even if it takes time, we just need to see things improving on and off the pitch, with a plan and structure in place.

My number one choice was Hughton, before any of the lists were circulated, but he didnt want to come. (Wise man?). My second choice was Rowett, but when the cases against Monk were dropped, I was not too upset at him coming in. My biggest worry is that DC and whoever helps him to find and sign players, are going to follow the same template that got us into this state.

In my opinion the best person we have had at the club for finding good players for a good price, for a long long time, was Gary Megson. He may not be an acceptable manager for DC, but with his contacts and knowledge of the game, he could definitely find the kinds of players that Monk needs. Megson is a good judge of character on the whole and I reckon he would be able to find players with enough strength of character and desire to do a decent job for us.

Megson brought sme great kayers into Hillsborough and for a very tight budget, but there were a couple that got away because Mandaric wouod not fund the signing of a coupke of pkayers wanted my Megson. If DC had been chairman while Megson was manager, we would have had Ben Marshall on one wing, Antonio on the other, with Madine and Le Fondre as our strikers, with Chris Lines and Semedo and co, we had so many fighters in the team, goal scorers and goal providers, before we even start on the defenders.

DC could do a lot worse than bringing Megson in short term to help Monk rebuild the squad this summer, lets face it he already has!

2 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

My number one choice was Hughton, before any of the lists were circulated, but he didnt want to come. (Wise man?). My second choice was Rowett, but when the cases against Monk were dropped, I was not too upset at him coming in. My biggest worry is that DC and whoever helps him to find and sign players, are going to follow the same template that got us into this state.

In my opinion the best person we have had at the club for finding good players for a good price, for a long long time, was Gary Megson. He may not be an acceptable manager for DC, but with his contacts and knowledge of the game, he could definitely find the kinds of players that Monk needs. Megson is a good judge of character on the whole and I reckon he would be able to find players with enough strength of character and desire to do a decent job for us.

Megson brought sme great kayers into Hillsborough and for a very tight budget, but there were a couple that got away because Mandaric wouod not fund the signing of a coupke of pkayers wanted my Megson. If DC had been chairman while Megson was manager, we would have had Ben Marshall on one wing, Antonio on the other, with Madine and Le Fondre as our strikers, with Chris Lines and Semedo and co, we had so many fighters in the team, goal scorers and goal providers, before we even start on the defenders.

DC could do a lot worse than bringing Megson in short term to help Monk rebuild the squad this summer, lets face it he already has!

Not sure about that, which players did he bring in? Most were OK at League One level, but did they go on to anything beyond?

18 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Warnock wouldn't have his heart in managing us. He would see it as a joke and would laugh all the way at how desparate we would be to appoint him.

A BIG no thank you from me.

I don't think that's true. I think he would love to do well with us just to rub the pigs snouts in it for getting rid of him.

He's one of the good guys but he loves a wind up, that's why he used to play the pantomime dame when he visited us. It was all tongue in cheek.

It won't happen anyway.

45 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Not sure about that, which players did he bring in? Most were OK at League One level, but did they go on to anything beyond?

Are you for real or what? Why disagree about something you say you know nothing about?

Several played for us for several years in the championship, we had a special day in honour of one of them and a couple have played in the prem doing quite well for themselves. Dont bother yourself objecting to everything you know nothing about or we'll be here all day, were you old enough to go when we escaped from league 1? Megsons old dad, who you wont remember either, was a top scout finding top quality players for a number of prem clubs, but also fo and he did it until he was a ripe old age. Some people have the ability to see what is important in players and how they may or may not fit in, improve, or perform at different levels, as you have demonstrated already, most do not. 

10 hours ago, GerOwl said:

The way he sets us up to play is god awful. Not really bothered if he knows the problems we won't get anywhere playing this type of football regardless of who goes and comes in. 

He is setting up that way because of the poo squad he has inherited along with problematic players. What else can he do? He can only play the players at his disposal. We have seen the formations change because certain players can't/won't play in them, we've seen tactics change because players wont/can't play in them. There is a common denominator. 

IMO Monk has to win this battle and must get support from board and fans, otherwise this squad will continue to dictate where, how, and who plays - it's a farce. The manager is more important than the players. 

21 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Are you for real or what? Why disagree about something you say you know nothing about?

Several played for us for several years in the championship, we had a special day in honour of one of them and a couple have played in the prem doing quite well for themselves. Dont bother yourself objecting to everything you know nothing about or we'll be here all day, were you old enough to go when we escaped from league 1? Megsons old dad, who you wont remember either, was a top scout finding top quality players for a number of prem clubs, but also fo and he did it until he was a ripe old age. Some people have the ability to see what is important in players and how they may or may not fit in, improve, or perform at different levels, as you have demonstrated already, most do not. 

I can remember plenty of fans jizzing themselves silly over players like good old Reda. Will give him Antonio though, he was pretty decent. Megson’s dad, yes a proper gentleman, but chalk and cheese, when compared to his son

3 minutes ago, Andrew6666 said:

He is setting up that way because of the poo squad he has inherited along with problematic players. What else can he do? He can only play the players at his disposal. We have seen the formations change because certain players can't/won't play in them, we've seen tactics change because players wont/can't play in them. There is a common denominator. 

IMO Monk has to win this battle and must get support from board and fans, otherwise this squad will continue to dictate where, how, and who plays - it's a farce. The manager is more important than the players. 

I was talking about the long ball tactics. I feel you are giving Monk way to much credit there, check out any of his previous teams, this is how he plays. The correct/proper manager is very important but those are few and far between and if they are any good they will be off to the Premier League anyway. 

2 hours ago, GerOwl said:

I was talking about the long ball tactics. I feel you are giving Monk way to much credit there, check out any of his previous teams, this is how he plays. The correct/proper manager is very important but those are few and far between and if they are any good they will be off to the Premier League anyway. 

I'm just not a happy clapper. These same players have failed under more managers than Monk. Also failed under different tactics and formations. Not overly crediting Monk, just looking at evidence that points to a common denominator - the players. 

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I can remember plenty of fans jizzing themselves silly over players like good old Reda. Will give him Antonio though, he was pretty decent. Megson’s dad, yes a proper gentleman, but chalk and cheese, when compared to his son

So which of our current batch to you jizz yourself silly over. Said it before, but some of our squad have lit up games and had a brilliant run up to the play offs, but most of them have struggled since. When players tell you that they will not let the fans down and then they do. Then they do it again and again, you stop listening and hope to sign players that have the strength of mind and ability just to get on with it, instead of just talkng about it.

Could be some exciting, roller coaster times ahead! UTO!   

19 hours ago, Steve Down South said:

Not a bad shout, but I very much doubt we could afford him - equally, we’re not a very attractive proposition right now.

We're still a better option than managing some club out in the backarse of Qatar.

I'm sure he's on a very good salary out there but sometimes taking a pay-cut for a better job makes sense.

Jokanovic's pride will still be hurting after the Fulham debacle put a blot on his CV.  He won't be offered another Premier League job anytime soon without restoring his reputation first.

What better way for Jokanovic to shove the critic's word's down their throats than by getting a third PL promotion?