• Lee
    • Nuhiu
    • Da Cruz
    • Harris
    • Bannan
    • Murphy
    • Wickham

Guest LittleG

Only one winner Murphy, should never have been dropped. FF  and Harris worked hard. Defence looked dodgy, young full back is way out of his depth. Dawson should have stopped the second. Once again midfield non-existent. Forwards received poor service, usual tactic of big punt upfield. Overall crap. 

4 minutes ago, LittleG said:

Only one winner Murphy, should never have been dropped. FF  and Harris worked hard. Defence looked dodgy, young full back is way out of his depth. Dawson should have stopped the second. Once again midfield non-existent. Forwards received poor service, usual tactic of big punt upfield. Overall crap. 

Shot gets deflected a few yards from the keeper and he should have stopped it?.....Puskas wouldn’t have seen it

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Dawson - 2 One clanger (again) and two he should have done better with (again)

Go on then , enlighten us

given that the goals were

1 a one on one that the payer slotted past him

2 a shot that was deflected a few yards in front of him

3 a penalty

which was the clanger? (And by default I’ll work out which you think he should have done better with)

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

Go on then , enlighten us

given that the goals were

1 a one on one that the payer slotted past him

2 a shot that was deflected a few yards in front of him

3 a penalty

which was the clanger? (And by default I’ll work out which you think he should have done better with)

Went down like a weetabix under him on the near side 

chocolate palms
got there and still fluffed it

1 hour ago, james o connor said:

I would take great pleasure in putting my size 11 work boot through every single one of their faces . They are the biggest set of wasters ever to wear the shirt 

Wish you could get in the dressing room and tell em that. 

Guest LittleG
21 minutes ago, Ian said:

Shot gets deflected a few yards from the keeper and he should have stopped it?.....Puskas wouldn’t have seen it

From where I was sat it seemed to go under his hand.

Dawson - 5 - He'll be disappointed with the 2nd goal, but the deflection off Puskas didn't make it easy. No fault for the other two goals, and made a superb save following Palmer's error late on.

Urhoghide - 3 - Another tough examination at Hillsborough. He was on a tightrope after the first booking, which I thought was harsh (especially following several similar incidents that didn't warrant a booking). But, showed his naivety, and could have no complaints with the 2nd yellow.

Iorfa - 4 - Set the tone really with his first touch of the game, and seemed pretty unsettled throughout. At times, he showed his qualities, but the penalty at the death, is another mistake that was totally unforced. They are starting to add up.

Borner - 5 - He seems to have lost the ability to suss opponents out. In the early season, he'd take the 1st five minutes to analyse things, and then go on to dominate. But that doesn't seem to be happening of late. That said, he's probably the best defender out of the lot of them at the minute. Back handed compliment if there ever was one. Both he and Iorfa will be disappointed to have allowed the through ball to get through for Reading's 1st goal.

Palmer - 4 - Really frustrated me in the 1st half...made no attempt to play any football whatsoever. Everytime he got the ball at left ball...HOOF. Infuriating. The fact he's our captain is such a sad inditement of this situation. Aside from a really good cross in the 1st half which just eluded Da Cruz, it wasn't a performance with any positives. 

Pelupessy - 5 - He lacks quality, we know that. But yet again, we seem to have totally left our midfield out to dry. Out numbered, with no support, no outlets. The change at half time was never going to yield any change in our fortunes, and so it proved. 

Lee - 5 - Tough day, up against Reading's three man midfield, but I have to credit Lee for trying to be brave and play some football in poor conditions in amongst a sea of little composure. 

Da Cruz - 5 - There's bits to his play I really like. He looks strong, and direct, and he's obviously a good player. We've just yet to get him in positions to use it. And that's where we need to sort our midfield out. Unlucky to be withdrawn, but to be fair, his replacement, really improved things.

Forestieri - 5 - Fizzed about, didn't throw the towel in, but lacked any effect on the game. 

Harris - 6 - In the 1st half, as he often is, I thought he was our best player and main threat. Unlucky with the effort in the 1st half, and looked to get to the byline on a number of occasions. Faded badly in the 2nd half however.

Nuhiu - 5 - I mean, give the man a break. Just give him something to hold on to, instead of just aimlessly hoofing it up to him, and asking him to chase his own flick-ons. 

Bannan - 5 - I'm losing patience with him now. I thought dropping him after Luton's pathetic performance, would give him the kick up the backside he needed. But, he went deeper, and safer than ever. He was brought on to instigate some attacking impetus...instead he stands on Iorfa's toe, and passes sideways for 45 minutes. Passing the buck, when we need big players to stand up and be counted. 

Murphy - 7 - Man of the Match - The type of performance we need from more of our key players. He came on, when the heads were down, in a position he's never played before...but stood, took the challenge on, and put in a really positive display. Murphy could've been forgiven for coming on, and just trying to do enough, after been asked to play right back...but no, and for that, he's gone up in my estimations. Type of character we need at the minute, must start at Birmingham. 

Wickham - N/A - Not on long enough, but showed little desire or interest. 

Overall...

Look, a 3-0 defeat at home against a side who haven't won in eight is never going to be a game where you look upon favourably. And it was another performance that highlighted the same failings. Monk needs to get this midfield sorted. We haven't been able to play 4-2-3-1 for years, because we haven't got a midfield pairing capable. We brought Windass in, with that system in mind, but without him playing, it's a complete non-starter. Our back four look full of errors and fragility. And going forward, we just cannot get our creative players into the right areas, often enough.

That said, at half time, we were unfortunate to be 1-0 down. They scored with their only real attack, and we had a decent share of the game, and could've easily gone in level on another day. 

But it comes back down to those margins, many of us talk about. Two months ago, we were winning games by coming out on the right side of those margins...often with a bit of quality from Fletcher or Harris, or an heroic bit of defending fro Iorfa or Borner been the difference. Fast forward, two months, and we aren't able to get those creative players in the game enough to provide that difference offensively, and our defence are making basic errors which are costing us goals.

There's no easy way out of it. It's back to basics, defend resolutely, stay in games. 

I've not changed my mind...I really hope Monk manages to turn this round, and is given the opportunity to sort this mess out. But, the longer this goes on, the less likely he's going to be around to make those changes. Birmingham away might not be a bad game to put things right...they, like ourselves, play the margins. It'll be nip and tuck, and we'll have to hope we manage to come out on top. That's said with more hope than expectation. 

Edited by frastheowl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, Ash77 said:

Dawson - 4 might need wwood back soon

urgohide - 3 not ready, no crosses from either fb.

borner - 5 would drop for hutch

iorfa - 5 

palmer - 4 badly miss fox who can get a cross in

harris - 4 same old on left

joey - 1 as expected

lee - 4 as expected

da Cruz - 0 did we check he's a footballer or did we just see a video of him doing tricks on a beach somewhere? No football brain, a non league no10, but even worse winger, as per windass looks like monk burns money better than cc as well as having no tactical brain.

nuhiu - 2 

FF - 5 

Murphy 7 great attitude off bench, tackles, crosses, shot, 1st name on next sheet, would try as attacking rb with harris rm and reach Lm next out given our fb woes.

Bannan 5

Monk 0 as expected, get rid, players and fans given up

Had been playing well recently and got a goal at Wigan. Yet another bewildering decision by Monk 

Of course we didn’t play well, but 3-0 flatters Reading. 

Thought we started well enough, good energy, good tempo, good intent - without the final ball, run, shot. 

Sadly we seemed to switch off completely for their goal which hit the team and the crowd hard. 

The valid sending off (should have come off at HT-enthusiastic but not ready yet) killed us slightly - we however rallied and again I thought looked ok. 

Murphy putting his MOM performance in. 

The second goal again I thought came against the run of play and again was a bit of a nightmare 

They played out the game and the penalty was a stupid challenge 

I can’t have a go for lack of effort - just lack of brain power and overall ability 

I hope Monk now sticks with a formation and maybe even a first 11 to give them a chance of finding some form 

Constant changes in formation never ever works 

Dawson -6 excellent kicking,one point blank save,not at fault for any goal

Lee-6 tried to hustle there midfield 3 got stuck in

Fessi -7 never stopped running and closing down

rest 5s except young lad who got sent off 3

Should have been taken off at halftime,yellow card and looked well off pace.