Won’t Pick Westwood & Hutch

There’s a really good example of a club nearby who have done incredibly well by building a team based on players with the right attitude. We won’t ever get anywhere with players who think they’re bigger than the team (and in doing so by definition don’t give a throw about the fans either). I’ve enjoyed watching Westwood and Hutchinson over the last few years but I think my overriding memory of them will be disappointment and that’s a shame from my point of view.

On Westwood, why is it so hard for people to accept he's not the player he was? Apart from a decent little spell last season when he got back in under Bullen/Bruce he's been average/poor for a while now. He's injury prone and also 35, he's done. Great servant to the club and no doubt a fantastic keeper in his day but his form this season hasn't been good enough. The time has come for him to be moved on (yes I know he was another year.)

Neither coming back in will change what is going on, maybe the odd decent game here and there but they need to be moved on.

Just now, 2roland2 said:

well when they came back after jos it change drastically. And before they were dropped we were looking good position wise even when not at our best. So on that evidence I would say they might just make a difference. 

I'd argue the reason we picked up was due to some actual in game management from Bullen/Bruce. Yeah initially Westwood made a difference but he didn't end last season well at all. Also he was dropped (correctly) during the bad run in November prior to us going third so not sure how you've come to that conclusion to be honest.

Hutchinson in my opinion (I get most probably disagree with it) just hasn't been good enough anymore. We have to start looking to the future and not constantly backwards.

Just now, 2roland2 said:

you can find as many excuses and reasons but the only facts I know ( and this is facts you can’t ignore) when they play we get better results than when they don’t. 
now if you want to credit managers or other players or whatever that’s fine. But when they are in the team even under monk. We were in a better position. 

Excuses for what? Westwood hasn't had a better season than Dawson in 19/20, if you think he has then you can't have watched many matches. Hutchinson has been as inconsistent as the rest. Even if they did come back in and make a difference it'd be a short term solution to a long term issue in that the squad needs gutting and rebuilding.

9 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

you can find as many excuses and reasons but the only facts I know ( and this is facts you can’t ignore) when they play we get better results than when they don’t. 
now if you want to credit managers or other players or whatever that’s fine. But when they are in the team even under monk. We were in a better position. 

Westwood made errors, if I could be bothered I could pick out the links and put them in here, but we were scoring at the other end so there was less scrutiny on him. The reason our forms dropped isn’t down to hutch or Westwood, it’s down to the loss of fletcher  

Edited by FreshOwl

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Excuses for what? Westwood hasn't had a better season than Dawson in 19/20, if you think he has then you can't have watched many matches. Hutchinson has been as inconsistent as the rest. Even if they did come back in and make a difference it'd be a short term solution to a long term issue in that the squad needs gutting and rebuilding.

Both keepers have been poor this season, we must have conceded 10 goals directly from keeper errors which is a lot. Think it’s harsh to say Westwood is past it.. was immense 2014-15, 2015-16 and 2016-17, had a poor spell early 2017-18 then injured and exiled, then back in 2018-19 and was immense again. Don’t see which games you’re saying he was poor in last season.. the Leeds away one on sky towards the end he single handedly kept the score to 1-0. He was poor start of this season but that doesn’t mean he’s finished at 35 and with an athletic physique. He needed dropping for a few games but he’s still our number 1.. unless he came back in to the side and played poorly again in which case it would be easier to conclude that he doesn’t have it anymore 

12 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Both keepers have been poor this season, we must have conceded 10 goals directly from keeper errors which is a lot. Think it’s harsh to say Westwood is past it.. was immense 2014-15, 2015-16 and 2016-17, had a poor spell early 2017-18 then injured and exiled, then back in 2018-19 and was immense again. Don’t see which games you’re saying he was poor in last season.. the Leeds away one on sky towards the end he single handedly kept the score to 1-0. He was poor start of this season but that doesn’t mean he’s finished at 35 and with an athletic physique. He needed dropping for a few games but he’s still our number 1.. unless he came back in to the side and played poorly again in which case it would be easier to conclude that he doesn’t have it anymore 

This is the issue for me, we keep going backwards. There's no doubt he was outstanding in those seasons and I fully respect Westwood's career with Wednesday but it's time to move on for me. Yes he's had good games since, Leeds at home for example this season but he's making more and more errors and like it or not he is injury prone and at 35 that won't be something that will get better. How many times has he had to pull out in the warm up? That's costing us because it's forcing us to make a change at the last minute. Sometimes you have to have a tough decision as a club and as good as Westwood can be we have to move on.

It would make more sense to say Wildsmith should be given a go than bringing back in Westwood. Personally I'd stick with Dawson for the time being. 

5 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

This is the issue for me, we keep going backwards. There's no doubt he was outstanding in those seasons and I fully respect Westwood's career with Wednesday but it's time to move on for me. Yes he's had good games since, Leeds at home for example this season but he's making more and more errors and like it or not he is injury prone and at 35 that won't be something that will get better. How many times has he had to pull out in the warm up? That's costing us because it's forcing us to make a change at the last minute. Sometimes you have to have a tough decision as a club and as good as Westwood can be we have to move on.

It would make more sense to say Wildsmith should be given a go than bringing back in Westwood. Personally I'd stick with Dawson for the time being. 

yes we are going backwards and fast the trapdoor ain't so far away and the turgid football coupled with a keeper prone to mistakes are costing us dearly  all happening on Monks watch ,Stubborness either way is a very big factor in where we are and where we may end up god forbid ,

Another manager and has the nerve to drop Westwood and Hutchinson. Players and managers disagree about tactics etc all the time. If Westwood and Hutchinson are guilty of this and its the reason why they are not playing then it is the way they have approached the situation. I don't know how anyone can suggest that these players should be guaranteed a place anyway. If they so much better than other players then this is a huge issue that is why we struggling atm. 

We should be concerned about the players on the pitch as they are all playing below the standard expected. I can't understand why. I am certain Westwood and Hutchinson are not the answer. 

Guest LondonOwl313
23 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

The definition of a Wednesday fan - obsessed with someone who was good 4/5 years ago. 

Well it’s either that or obsess around players that aren’t good enough, never were good enough and never will be good enough. Reality is we need a whole new team but we can’t replace them all

No doubt this has been mentioned in the previous 15 pages, but Dawson was made number one a good 5/6 weeks before the Christmas disaster, and when Hutch was playing about half the posters on here were saying he should be dropped for Luongo as he was a spent force and represented too defensive a midfield alongside Bannan. 

For me it's not a disaster in terms of on the pitch, it's a disaster because it shows we have a manager that can't man manage.