Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

46 minutes ago, mogbad said:

How many of the blunts squad are Premier quality.

What does Premier League quality actually mean? 

Is Fernando Forestieri Premier League quality? Barry Bannan, Kieran Lee.??

Are you Premier League quality if you play a certain number of games there? Score some goals? Win a medal? 

Seriously though we always see this phrase alot but what is a Premier League quality player??

Edited by pazowl55
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, mogbad said:

How many of the blunts squad are Premier quality.

Exactly, individually very few, collectively all of them. I won't judge any player in isolation, its all about making a cohesive team.

Blades, probably one of the best ever examples of that. 

I don't recall ever seeing anything quite like it. Clearly shows the importance of "team" over individuals. Also, bangs home how critical "character' is in modern sport. 

Switched on gaffer working to a plan, ability to motivate, literally every player "overachieving".........I can't bring myself to heap any more praise on the manager but his credentials are now unquestionable. 

Just off to gargle some bleach........ lol

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Morepork said:

Exactly, individually very few, collectively all of them. I won't judge any player in isolation, its all about making a cohesive team.

Blades, probably one of the best ever examples of that. 

I don't recall ever seeing anything quite like it. Clearly shows the importance of "team" over individuals. Also, bangs home how critical "character' is in modern sport. 

Switched on gaffer working to a plan, ability to motivate, literally every player "overachieving".........I can't bring myself to heap any more praise on the manager but his credentials are now unquestionable. 

Just off to gargle some bleach........ lol

Individually. How many do we have then?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Individually. How many do we have then?

I'd be hard pressed to make you a list of players in our squad good enough for the division we're in........ lol

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Morepork said:

I'd be hard pressed to make you a list of players in our squad good enough for the division we're in........ lol

I wasn't trying to catch you out or anything. Just wondering what defines Premier League quality.  Is it all entirely opinion based?

I was just thinking about what you said Individually very few but collectively all. 

Does that mean it's all down to managers like Wilder and Bielsa for the wonders they do. 

Take Kalvin Phillips. Before Bielsa, not a chance at being premier league quality. Now it's hard to argue against it. But is that all down to Bielsa or did Phillip's individually posses the premier league quality and Bielsa just got it out of him like you are pretty much saying Wilder has done. 

If this is the case could they take any player from league two and turn them into a premier league quality footballer straight away or do they have to have some sort of individual talent in the first place. 

Or is all you need to be premier league quality just a first class attitude, work rate and manager.

Edited by pazowl55

I really like the direction recruitment appears to be heading. Long been an advocate for this type of youth signings and loans.

Another, all be it small market to look at is those very highly rated youngsters that have faded into obscurity.

Just chucking a name out there for fun. Ryan Gauld, left Dundee for sporting at a young age. Now plays for Farnese who just got promoted to the Portuguese first division. 24 years of age. Transfermarket has him down as 8 goals + 3 assists in 21 games. Goal ever 230 minutes from midfield. 

Obviously not a very high standard, but won’t cost much and was very highly rated at one point. Seems to have got his career on track and we make need to tahe gambles.

Oliver Burke heading back to West Brom after what sounds like a decent spell st Alaves. Might be beyond us even for a loan, but an interesting player that I think we were linked with In the last. 

Anyone think of any other players who fit this mound?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I wasn't trying to catch you out or anything. Just wondering what defines Premier League quality.  Is it all entirely opinion based?

I was just thinking about what you said Individually very few but collectively all. 

Does that mean it's all down to managers like Wilder and Bielsa for the wonders they do. 

Take Kalvin Phillips. Before Bielsa, not a chance at being premier league quality. Now it's hard to argue against it. But is that all down to Bielsa or did Phillip's individually posses the premier league quality and Bielsa just got it out of him like you are pretty much saying Wilder has done. 

If this is the case could they take any player from league two and turn them into a premier league quality footballer straight away or do they have to have some sort of individual talent in the first place. 

Or is all you need to be premier league quality just a first class attitude, work rate and manager.

A few seasons ago I was off the opinion that Lee was Premier League quality, many favorable attributes and got better with more quality around him. Unfortunately, we'll never know.......

The Blades are to some degree an anomaly IMO. In the main, they achieve their quality collectively which you can only imagine must be very satisfying for Wilder. Through work-rate, organisation, togetherness, mental fortitude and of course tactical astuteness they elevate to the point of overachievement. Sure, they have a few individuals who are good enough to play elsewhere but the power is the "collective". I think we'll see this borne out in the off season. Any team of their stature finishing the season in their position would expect to see their players leaving for "bigger" clubs, I don't see that happening because its "collective" Premier Quality which is being extracted by a combination of the manager and their mental attributes. The ultimate test of their mental strength will be next season after the success this year. If that's missing, their "true quality" will be evident.

Leeds, we'll have to wait and see. No question of Bielsa's pedigree and they look a tidy outfit but you'd want to asses them after a season in the top flight. It sounds like they are ambitious so it's not yet clear how much their team will change.

I think your last line is most pertinent, certainly for us. 

It has to start with mentality, without it nothing else matters. We don't and never have needed to break the bank to put a good manager in place and then sign players with the work-rate and endeavor to achieve that collective quality. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

I really like the direction recruitment appears to be heading. Long been an advocate for this type of youth signings and loans.

Another, all be it small market to look at is those very highly rated youngsters that have faded into obscurity.

Just chucking a name out there for fun. Ryan Gauld, left Dundee for sporting at a young age. Now plays for Farnese who just got promoted to the Portuguese first division. 24 years of age. Transfermarket has him down as 8 goals + 3 assists in 21 games. Goal ever 230 minutes from midfield. 

Obviously not a very high standard, but won’t cost much and was very highly rated at one point. Seems to have got his career on track and we make need to tahe gambles.

Oliver Burke heading back to West Brom after what sounds like a decent spell st Alaves. Might be beyond us even for a loan, but an interesting player that I think we were linked with In the last. 

Ryan Gauld has huge amounts of ability but he had a spell on loan at Hibs recently and he looked well off the pace. I’d be wary because he’s now of an age where he should be ready to play every week

6 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

I agree, there’s an abundance of youngsters being released by top flight clubs across the UK and Europe. Do we have the correct people in the club that can spot potential, that’s another question.

Patrick Roberts would be a good shout, 1 goal and 3 assists In 10 games for Boro, on loan from Man City. Did well at Celtic a few years ago. 23 and would be available on loan I’d imagine.

To add, always seem to be some rough diamonds coming out of the French leagues. 

Edited by Mac_77
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, edinburghowl said:

Ryan Gauld has huge amounts of ability but he had a spell on loan at Hibs recently and he looked well off the pace. I’d be wary because he’s now of an age where he should be ready to play every week

I saw that and was wondering why he only played a handful of games. I suppose someone like that needs a big pre season to step up his fitness. Then he would also need to be able to make the step up in quality. He’d be a gamble, but a cheap one imo.

5 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

I saw that and was wondering why he only played a handful of games. I suppose someone like that needs a big pre season to step up his fitness. Then he would also need to be able to make the step up in quality. He’d be a gamble, but a cheap one imo.

Would much prefer Jack Byrne

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, malek said:

Would much prefer Jack Byrne

Yeh I remember him. Young lad at city. What ever happened to him?

I suppose that’s the kind of suggestion I’m interested in. Players who had big promise and fizzled our. 

I assume he’s had a good season or two for you to mention him.

6 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

I don’t think he would be cheap mate but yes agreed a full preseason would help and it’s clear that more first team football has helped him. He was Farense’s top scorer last season, they are now a Primeira Liga club and he is under contract so they won’t be selling him for buttons. He has a €4m release clause but I don’t think he would be worth spending that on.

3 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

I don’t think he would be cheap mate but yes agreed a full preseason would help and it’s clear that more first team football has helped him. He was Farense’s top scorer last season, they are now a Primeira Liga club and he is under contract so they won’t be selling him for buttons. He has a €4m release clause but I don’t think he would be worth spending that on.

Fair enough. He was just a random name chucked out there as an example of a different market we could potentially explore.

I’d be interested to see where he ends up in a few years. Or if he stays abroad. I was expecting the likes of John Bostock to sign for a championship club the last few years with how well he picked up aboard. Think he signed on loan for Forest, but didn’t play much. Not sure the reasons why? Few players have the same trajectory and I find them interesting examples. 

• Like 1