Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

10 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

We need to use the experienced goalkeeper we have who is sat scratching his backside earning probably over 20k a week

The club, management and player all need to sit in a room over the next 3 weeks and thrash out any differences so he is ready to be picked come the start of the season

You are right but I can’t see that happening. Monk doesn’t seem the type to give people a 2nd chance, once they are out they are out. I wish he would with Westwood. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

15 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

We need to use the experienced goalkeeper we have who is sat scratching his backside earning probably over 20k a week

The club, management and player all need to sit in a room over the next 3 weeks and thrash out any differences so he is ready to be picked come the start of the season

He's injured, isn't he?

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

Inclined to agree 

Beggars can’t be choosers

58 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

we do but I think next season with us starting on -12 we need to be as strong as possible from the very 1st game, I don’t think we can use next season to develop as much especially in a position as important as goalkeeper. 

True, but with 5 x forwards to recruit, dont think GK will be a priority.

Strikers win more games than GK's.

6 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Just seen that Troy Parrot gone out on loan from spurs to Milwall. He’s only 18 but been in and around the first team last season. 

Opportunity missed potentially? We need to get a young and hungry striker in fast.

Millwall are a bigger draw. Well run club, london based, good manager, a squad that is playing above themselves. Quite an attractive proposition. 

• Like 3

Guest gizowl
5 hours ago, kevtheowl said:

We need the players now ! All our targets need to be in place before the season starts. If we don’t get them we will be in a bigger pickle than we are now !   UTO 

Easier said than done unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, striker said:

True, but with 5 x forwards to recruit, dont think GK will be a priority.

Strikers win more games than GK's.

I can understand that, but I hope we are on the lookout for a new 'keeper if one becomes available, or if we can move Westwood on.

Our 'expected goals' tallies for last season show that we should have had at least an extra 5 goals based on the quality of chances we created - only 4 teams were  more wasteful with their chances than us, whereas we conceded nine goals from chances that wouldn't normally result in goals - again, only 4 teams conceded more unexpected goals than us.

Now I'm sure that won't be entirely down to the goalkeepers, but it does suggest there's an issue there which needs addressing somehow.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Millwall are a bigger draw. Well run club, london based, good manager, a squad that is playing above themselves. Quite an attractive proposition. 

How many were saying that about 11 months ago when he desperately wanted the Wednesday job?

There wasn't too many, I seem to recall. 

• Like 1

Guest gizowl
2 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Really would like to see us sign a new number one keeper. Someone that gives the defence the confidence that they need. I don’t feel either of the 2 young keepers do that. 

Agree it's decision time either Dawson or Wildsmith need moving on as well as Westwood and get a new keeper in.

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I can understand that, but I hope we are on the lookout for a new 'keeper if one becomes available, or if we can move Westwood on.

Our 'expected goals' tallies for last season show that we should have had at least an extra 5 goals based on the quality of chances we created - only 4 teams were  more wasteful with their chances than us, whereas we conceded nine goals from chances that wouldn't normally result in goals - again, only 4 teams conceded more unexpected goals than us.

Now I'm sure that won't be entirely down to the goalkeepers, but it does suggest there's an issue there which needs addressing somehow.

I've been constant defenders of Dawson (and to a lesser extent Wildsmith), but you're right, from a stats point of view, Wildsmith has been amongst the worst whenever he's played on a consistent basis for us, and Dawson was well below the average for the division.

I felt this season would've been a good year for one of them to become genuine number one, and be allowed the opportunity to play games without too much pressure upon them.

But, given the 12 points deduction, those margins for errors have just become so much smaller. 

I know there's a desire to introduce youngsters into the side, and I absolutely agree with it. But the need for results has just become so much more important than it did a couple of days ago.

Edited by frastheowl
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

Just seen that Troy Parrot gone out on loan from spurs to Milwall. He’s only 18 but been in and around the first team last season. 

Opportunity missed potentially? We need to get a young and hungry striker in fast.

18 year old London boy probably still living with his mum.

No brainer

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

I read they’ve paid a £2 million loan fee as well.

Just shows how difficult and expensive the market is when an 18 year old with an handful of games costs £2 million just for a loan. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

How many were saying that about 11 months ago when he desperately wanted the Wednesday job?

There wasn't too many, I seem to recall. 

Doesn't matter what I or we think. If you are a player you'd choose the situation with him at Millwall over ours and thats the overall point. What a footballer deems good is vastly different to us as fans. Rowett is doing a good job but he is at a club that are well run and are set up to overperform without risking it financially. Again, very attractive for a youngster on loan. 

19 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Doesn't matter what I or we think. If you are a player you'd choose the situation with him at Millwall over ours and thats the overall point. What a footballer deems good is vastly different to us as fans. Rowett is doing a good job but he is at a club that are well run and are set up to overperform without risking it financially. Again, very attractive for a youngster on loan. 

I don't disagree.

My point was, Rowett, was almost universally shunned by the fanbase when he was touting himself for the job less than a year ago.

33 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

I've been constant defenders of Dawson (and to a lesser extent Wildsmith), but you're right, from a stats point of view, Wildsmith has been amongst the worst whenever he's played on a consistent basis for us, and Dawson was well below the average for the division.

I felt this season would've been a good year for one of them to become genuine number one, and be allowed the opportunity to play games without too much pressure upon them.

But, given the 12 points deduction, those margins for errors have just become so much smaller. 

I know there's a desire to introduce youngsters into the side, and I absolutely agree with it. But the need for results has just become so much more important than it did a couple of days ago.

I agree with every word.

I've defended Dawson and Wildsmith on here in the past (and probably will do again at some point), as some of the criticism they've come in for has been way over the top, but whether it's down to their technical ability, their communication with defenders, or a combination of both, we've conceded far too many goals that we simply shouldn't have done.

I'm all for giving young players a chance, but as you say, now's not the time to have an inexperienced 'keeper between the sticks when our backs are well and truly up against the wall. If we have a slow start next season, the pressure is going to reach fever pitch, and that's not a situation for the fainthearted. 

I have no idea whether Monk is looking for a new number one, but you'd assume the analysis of how our 'keepers performed last season must be setting some alarm bells ringing for him.

• Like 1

This is a serious attempt to upgrade our U23s

Maybe Edinburghowl can bring us up to speed Isn’t he supposed to be one of the hottest talents in Scotland Oh, there is the small matter of Bayern Munich also being interested

Edited by gurujuan
  • Haha 1