Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, oneeyedmilkman said:

Let's get that bus-load of man city kids sorted then! 

That is the only strategy we can adopt. Proven quality will turn their noses up. We have to try and sell a long-term vision to more players like FDB. The concern is whether they’ll have the quality & consistency to put the 60+ points on the board it’ll take to keep us up in their first season. 

Tough one really. I still think experience can be bought but youd have to now significantly sweeten the deal, whether that's bigger wage, bigger sign on, longer deal or optional get out clause in players favour upon relegation. I'd be uneasy with these as you're probably going to attract the type that got us in this mess, but we do need a sprinkling of experience too. A sprinkling of those who put a rocket up the arse of those not pulling their weight and generally work hard to make sure the standard doesnt slip. I still have my reservations monk is the man is to get these people in, but I dont envy whoever has the job! 

8 hours ago, wilyfox said:

That is the only strategy we can adopt. Proven quality will turn their noses up. We have to try and sell a long-term vision to more players like FDB. The concern is whether they’ll have the quality & consistency to put the 60+ points on the board it’ll take to keep us up in their first season. 

Exactly this, Weirdly it may focus us to have a longer term plan. The type we haven’t seen since Carlos first arrived and messed it all up by over achieving in season one. 

Anyhow, back to playing staff and recruitment. Rather than expectation of a top 6 finish we nearly have to avoid relegation. Hopefully this allows us the opportunity to bed in a few that historically we would have had meltdowns over. Then next year, have a solid squad that we can build off of? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

Exactly this, Weirdly it may focus us to have a longer term plan. The type we haven’t seen since Carlos first arrived and messed it all up by over achieving in season one. 

Anyhow, back to playing staff and recruitment. Rather than expectation of a top 6 finish we nearly have to avoid relegation. Hopefully this allows us the opportunity to bed in a few that historically we would have had meltdowns over. Then next year, have a solid squad that we can build off of? 

Yes, this should be our approach. Avoiding relegation won’t be easy, not just because of the points deduction. My biggest worry still remains, can we put together a competitive squad at short notice, and on a reduced budget. Assembling a whole new set of striking options, good enough at this level, is a massive task. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, this should be our approach. Avoiding relegation won’t be easy, not just because of the points deduction. My biggest worry still remains, can we put together a competitive squad at short notice, and on a reduced budget. Assembling a whole new set of striking options, good enough at this level, is a massive task. 

I totally agree. Personally, I had us down for a relegation fight next season without a points deduction.  Not only do we need a number of strikers/wide attackers of the necessary quality but we are also lacking leaders, a championship level GK and a defensive midfielder. 

With the points deduction, I’m sure it will prove difficult to bring in the players we need and I’m sure we will have to incentivise them given our current predicament. 

We have 6 weeks to the start of the season and we must be more underprepared than any team in this league. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I totally agree. Personally, I had us down for a relegation fight next season without a points deduction.  Not only do we need a number of strikers/wide attackers of the necessary quality but we are also lacking leaders, a championship level GK and a defensive midfielder. 

With the points deduction, I’m sure it will prove difficult to bring in the players we need and I’m sure we will have to incentivise them given our current predicament. 

We have 6 weeks to the start of the season and we must be more underprepared than any team in this league. 

I’ve always maintained that such an extensive rebuild, in this current climate, would very difficult to do at this level In League One it would undoubtably be easier. The postponement of the punishment of course gives us a chance to stay in the division, but ironically it might have made things more difficult in the long run

• Like 1

The Star article now saying we lead the chase to sign Garner but can’t see that still being true now. 

Attracting players is going to be very difficult.  Hopefully Monk has some hidden charisma that players want to come and play for.   

15 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

The Star article now saying we lead the chase to sign Garner but can’t see that still being true now. 

Attracting players is going to be very difficult.  Hopefully Monk has some hidden charisma that players want to come and play for.   

Man Utd won't throw a promising young player under the bus. 

I don’t know, as others have said, a 12 point deficit isn’t a hugely significant stumbling block with 138 points to play for Yes we will start the season 12 points adrift, but also only 12 points off a promotion spot

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I don’t know, as others have said, a 12 point deficit isn’t a hugely significant stumbling block with 138 points to play for Yes we will start the season 12 points adrift, but also only 12 points off a promotion spot

17 points from 23 games second half of last season!

We probably need to bring in 8 players and hope they are of the right quality and fit the missing pieces in the jigsaw and hope they all hit the ground running immediately as well as turning a negative culture into a positive one fighting a 12 point deduction.

Its an almighty task. Im fearing the worst next season. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bouncing Owl said:

We probably need to bring in 8 players and hope they are of the right quality and fit the missing pieces in the jigsaw and hope they all hit the ground running immediately as well as turning a negative culture into a positive one fighting a 12 point deduction.

You can already feel the ready made excuses stacking up

Might as well close the thread now. Nobody else will want to join us whilst we have a 12 point reduction hanging over us plus various legal challenges from other clubs that might still result in our relegation this season.

But I say this still feeling bitter from last night’s outcome.

• Haha 1

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

You can already feel the ready made excuses stacking up

Indeed. An overhaul was already a difficult task given financial constraints, but there's no denying recruitment just got even harder following the verdict. The timing has screwed us, in that regard. 

Guest OrlandoUnTrustful

The only solution is a complete overhaul behind the scenes. Go and get Paul Cook and let him bring in his own backdown staff. Then try and find a director of football that he would approve of. 

If we stick with the current regime we will be relegated. 

14 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

This

I’d take League One all day if it meant we started on a level playing field and rebuilt. A lot of the players we have already are League One standard so I think we’d be able to compete. 

13 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Might as well close the thread now. Nobody else will want to join us whilst we have a 12 point reduction hanging over us plus various legal challenges from other clubs that might still result in our relegation this season.

But I say this still feeling bitter from last night’s outcome.

I’m not so sure you know. Everyone is banging on about getting young, hungry players from the lower leagues...well they’d surely want the chance to play in the championship than remain in league one or below. They’d get paid more and still a chance to remain in the championship. If we fail they end up back in league one where they would have been anyway. Yes we will struggle to attract the top championship players but we would have struggled to convince them to come here before the points deduction. Loan players won’t lose out, they won’t get relegated, still play championship football.

I honestly believe recruitment won’t be as bad as we might think. We’re just a bit lower in the pecking order now (we weren’t that high anyway!). 

Edited by CF_Owl
  • Like 2