Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

With Brentford.... This crap about their system.... They have chosen good managers and brought in very good players. It's not that shocking they have done well. Having good players coming in and not huge prices is the main thing being a manager who replaced a successful manager with a good squad is a rare thing in football. 

40 minutes ago, ashley8 said:

With Brentford.... This crap about their system.... They have chosen good managers and brought in very good players. It's not that shocking they have done well. Having good players coming in and not huge prices is the main thing being a manager who replaced a successful manager with a good squad is a rare thing in football. 

That was supposed to be the plan for us when Carlos was appointed However, by season two we had veered away from the plan, both in style of play, and players recruited. Since then, we’ve appointed managers/coaches whose tactics have been all over the place, along with recruitment It’s a proper mess

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, malek said:

This x1000 

We need to create value in our team and build around it. Hope with New recruitment policy that we finaly realized this and will give this way of thinking a chance. 

We do. But with a mix of experience too

23 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

That was supposed to be the plan for us when Carlos was appointed However, by season two we had veered away from the plan, both in style of play, and players recruited. Since then, we’ve appointed managers/coaches whose tactics have been all over the place, along with recruitment It’s a proper mess

Don’t think it was ever the plan for us. Most of our signings have been at least 25 and Chansiri clearly stated you don’t sell family so there was clearly never a plan in place to buy young players with potential, develop them and then sell them on to make a profit to fund the next group of signings. The only player I can think of that fits this is joao. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Don’t think it was ever the plan for us. Most of our signings have been at least 25 and Chansiri clearly stated you don’t sell family so there was clearly never a plan in place to buy young players with potential, develop them and then sell them on to make a profit to fund the next group of signings. The only player I can think of that fits this is joao. 

No, I meant in so much as, the recruitment team identified the players, and brought them in, and the coach worked with them However, yes, the recruitment was all about short term.

• Like 1

Everyone says we should develop youth and buy good lower league players to develop and sell on. Of course we should but it's not that easy. Every other club wants to do exactly the same thing (OK most of them).

The top young players sign for Premiership clubs, then the rest get picked over by clubs who have been doing this for years and have the set up, training facilities and contacts. We have none of those so it would take a while to get all those things in place.

To buy lower league players you need extensive scouting networks probably in a few countries to cover all the bases.

I'm not saying we can't do it but it just isn't as easy as some folk make out.

15 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

No, I meant in so much as, the recruitment team identified the players, and brought them in, and the coach worked with them However, yes, the recruitment was all about short term.

Yes you either get a strategy in place for recruitment and style of play and hire a head coach (with his coaching team) to coach them or you appoint a manager who will bring his own coaches/scouts etc and let them have 100% responsibility. We’ve just mish mashed between and basically not done either.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, prowl said:

Everyone says we should develop youth and buy good lower league players to develop and sell on. Of course we should but it's not that easy. Every other club wants to do exactly the same thing (OK most of them).

The top young players sign for Premiership clubs, then the rest get picked over by clubs who have been doing this for years and have the set up, training facilities and contacts. We have none of those so it would take a while to get all those things in place.

To buy lower league players you need extensive scouting networks probably in a few countries to cover all the bases.

Young British talent is generally too expensive for us, unless we pick them straight up from somebody’s academy Lower league young attacking gems can fetch upwards of 10m or more. Best to do what Norwich do, get a steady stream of youngsters from rival academies, and look for bargains on the continent. Think I read somewhere, that Norwich had 22 BAME players in their academy, and most of them came from academies elsewhere 

31 minutes ago, prowl said:

All very good points, which is why it's so damned frustrating that when Chansiri came in he talked the talked about improving structures for long term success, and he's totally failed to walk the walk. 

We must be so down on the list of preferential places to loan out promising youngsters, and agents must be so begrudging to even consider sending their young talent our way relative to other clubs. Even if we had had the same level of "success" as we've had now, at least if we were perceived as a coaching club with a record of Prem loan players coming here and kicking on a bit, it would make recruitment just that little bit easier.

We're still suffering from the damage from 2000 til the beginning of the DC era, and his tenure has done nothing to reverse the underlying 20-year rot. Infuriating... so obvious he didn't (and perhaps still doesn't) understand what was needed. Dinosaur football club.

• Like 1

I’m not convinced that our recruitment is going to change dramatically. I believe we need a director of football to set the ethos, playing style and long term plan of the club but this doesn’t seem like something DC wants to do?

Given the short term nature of our managerial appointments, it makes a DoF even more of a necessity IMO?

I would be quite happy as I’m sure a lot of fans would be to embrace a long term plan but I just don’t see anything changing anytime soon? I hope I’m wrong but unfortunately I doubt I will be?

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, prowl said:

The only player I can think of, that we have bought, developed and sold for decent money is Brunt! 

To buy lower league and 'develop them' sounds good, until you realise that's what Ipswich tried to do when Paul Hurst was in charge!

We need a mix of quality championship players and young players on loan from Premiership and hopefully pick up a couple of gems from the lower leagues, though with our recruitment record I'm not holding my breath!

11 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

The only player I can think of, that we have bought, developed and sold for decent money is Brunt! 

To buy lower league and 'develop them' sounds good, until you realise that's what Ipswich tried to do when Paul Hurst was in charge!

We need a mix of quality championship players and young players on loan from Premiership and hopefully pick up a couple of gems from the lower leagues, though with our recruitment record I'm not holding my breath!

Yep, and look what that did for his career. The problem is, when you push that agenda, the temptation is to promote the youngsters, whether they are good enough or not A bit like Jos did here

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Did we develop Brunt as a player or did he just understand what he needed to do to make the most of his talent?