Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

51 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

And then what? Pocket the money?

Was the Norwich plan to yo-yo between the two leagues and make money by selling players and winning promotion again? A risky strategy isn’t it? What were they going to do with that money earned because last season when they had the opportunity to invest that money the didn’t and as a result got relegated. So IF they manage to get promotion again next season will they then invest the money into the squad to ensure they don’t get relegated and if they did why didn’t they just do that in the first place and not get relegated first time?

Whichever way you slice it, Norwich messed it up and let down their fans. If we were ever lucky enough to be in that position I would hate for us to waste the opportunity like they did.

Burnley are probably an example of a team willing to risk the yoyo strategy, and build gradually to establish in the Prem. Apparently they were pretty close to the wind a few seasons back financially. I get that it's risky, but then splashing the cash is too. Either strategy just shows up the ridiculous financial state of football imo. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hotten Owl said:

Burnley are probably an example of a team willing to risk the yoyo strategy, and build gradually to establish in the Prem. Apparently they were pretty close to the wind a few seasons back financially. I get that it's risky, but then splashing the cash is too. Either strategy just shows up the ridiculous financial state of football imo. 

I don't see what the risk is with the yo yo strategy. You don't come back up again? At least you're club's not fizzed! You play it safe financially and you're always in and around the Prem. You improve your facilities and academy etc.

Interesting with Burnley. They may have reached the end with Dyche as he wants more ambition allegedly. But if you were a manager you'd take the job at Burnley or Watford over bigger clubs like Forest, Sunderland and Wednesday and that says it all.

• Like 3

Guest Kagoshimaowl
6 hours ago, malek said:

We were quoted 6m for him last season and he didn't do to well last season. Would rather look at Souttar from Hearts. 

You love a Scot don’t you! Shame most you suggest do absolutely nothing!

10 hours ago, Hotten Owl said:

Wilder did an interview on talksport the other day saying that his recruitment last summer was based around building as strong a championship squad as he could just in case they were relegated straight back down.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, vulture_squadron said:

I don't see what the risk is with the yo yo strategy. You don't come back up again? At least you're club's not fizzed! You play it safe financially and you're always in and around the Prem. You improve your facilities and academy etc.

Interesting with Burnley. They may have reached the end with Dyche as he wants more ambition allegedly. But if you were a manager you'd take the job at Burnley or Watford over bigger clubs like Forest, Sunderland and Wednesday and that says it all.

For what it’s worth I think what Norwich did was admirable. They knew they were coming back down and that being promoted was ahead of timeline of their strategy. They now are in a position to keep most the players together and likely get promoted easily, whilst not having to sell players or fleece their fan base to finance it. 

There is no guarantee that spending keeps you up, Villa we’re so lucky not to follow the Fulham example of blowing 100m and coming straight back down. 

Id wager that Norwich will be looking good in next 3-5years whilst others that spend more will fair an awful lot worse. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

For what it’s worth I think what Norwich did was admirable. They knew they were coming back down and that being promoted was ahead of timeline of their strategy. They now are in a position to keep most the players together and likely get promoted easily, whilst not having to sell players or fleece their fan base to finance it. 

There is no guarantee that spending keeps you up, Villa we’re so lucky not to follow the Fulham example of blowing 100m and coming straight back down. 

Id wager that Norwich will be looking good in next 3-5years whilst others that spend more will fair an awful lot worse. 

Who needs money when you are exempt from VAR & Hawkeye rules ??

There are several issues that will shape our dealings over the next few weeks. Firstly, the result of the EFL charge, which according to some local journos, has put some potential deals on hold. 
Also, do we know what system Monk intends to play, and if wants to have the ability to operate various systems, can we fund a big enough squad to cope with that. 
Finally, do we still need to get players out to generate funds? There are several players who don’t appear to be part of Monk’s plans, and a few more who might not be, depending on what system he favours. 
We have signed FDB, but midfield is a department that would likely maintain the same pieces however we decide to set up. Probably the same with up front, where I would imagine the manager will prefer to go with a pairing. The only question then would be, would he want a number 10 for the group? We saw last night, how Cardiff, a side playing a similar “style” to ourselves, were more effective when they brought on Tomlin, someone who could play between the lines

Edited by gurujuan

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

There are several issues that will shape our dealings over the next few weeks. Firstly, the result of the EFL charge, which according to some local journos, has put some potential deals on hold. 
Also, do we know what system Monk intends to play, and if wants to have the ability to operate various systems, can we fund a big enough squad to cope with that. 
Finally, do we still need to get players out to generate funds? There are several players who don’t appear to be part of Monk’s plans, and a few more who might not be, depending on what system he favours. 
We have signed FDB, but midfield is a department that would likely maintain the same pieces however we decide to set up. Probably the same with up front, where I would imagine the manager will prefer to go with a pairing. The only question then would be, would he want a number 10 for the group? We saw last night, how Cardiff, a side playing a similar style to ourselves, were more effective when they brought on Tomlin, someone who could play between the lines

I think the signing of FDB means it's more than likely we've seen the end of Kieren Lee's Wednesday Career. I suspect this deal was a Low cost/Low risk deal and as a result, pretty easy and straight forward to get over the line?

I don't expect it to be so easy to bring in other players so quickly and I reckon we'll revert to type pretty soon and as a result not really see much movement until October but I hope I'm wrong?

The forward department situation is critical and we'll probably have to be looking to bring in at least 3 but as we all know it is the area that sees the more cost expended and as a result I think we'll struggle to bring in any quality and I think there may be a make do and mend policy for next season? Loans, one year contracts etc.? Certainly until we can reduce the wage bill further. Getting Rhodes out may be key but I fear we may be stuck with a player who doesn't want to be here and Monk doesn't want to be here? Will we try and keep Nuhiu? I think he's already decided to move on and hitting 50 goals for the club is probably the right time for him to bow out at S6?

It scares me that we'll have Wildsmith and Dawson as first choices keepers next season. They're not good enough and the fact that Monk rates them only convinces me this will happen?

We need an experienced championship keeper and a decent defensive midfielder. Without we'll definitely be in a relegation battle next season whatever happens with the EFL charge. To go into a fourth season with Pelupessy as a key squad member is laughable, it really is?

I still think Lees, Reach and Bannan's future here are uncertain at the moment. Two seem to be in and out of Monk's plans at the moment and the other I would be amazed if he's unsettled? He's seen the crux of the team he's played in for the last 5 years breaking up and the prospect of promotion to the premier league is arguably further away now than when he first joined the club?

Not too excited about the future TBH, very fearful of things getting worse but all we can do is wait and see what happens initially over the next 2 months or so?

Yes much to do This where we need an Arry Redknapp type, someone who can wheel and deal Seen a few times that the reason we’ve just left players here running down their contracts, is because nobody has made an offer for them. Sometimes it requires you to be more inventive, and a bit more proactive. 
Playing devil’s advocate here, if we are going to operate with wing backs for example, do we need Harris, Reach and Penney, especially if, as reported we are looking for another. For me then, one or two of those could be sold. There is not much between them whilst operating as wing backs, but Reach has the highest value, so sell him. If, due to the current climate, it means taking a big hit, then be creative, look for a swap deal with someone

Edited by gurujuan

28 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes much to do This where we need an Arry Redknapp type, someone who can wheel and deal Seen a few times that the reason we’ve just left players here running down their contracts, is because nobody has made an offer for them. Sometimes it requires you to be more inventive, and a bit more proactive. 
Playing devil’s advocate here, if we are going to operate with wing backs for example, do we need Harris, Reach and Penney, especially if, as reported we are looking for another. For me then, one or two of those could be sold. There is not much between them whilst operating as wing backs, but Reach has the highest value, so sell him. If, due to the current climate, it means taking a big hit, then be creative, look for a swap deal with someone

Harry is the last person we need. He’ll insist on spending and woo DC around to the ideas. We need to be a bit more savvy.

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

I suppose that is one way of thinking about it. The other is that the board had no interest in investing to try and keep the club in the premier league, gave up and just pocketed the cash

As with any other relegated club their better players will be sold. The likes of Cantwell, Aarons, Godfrey, Buendia, Pukki and Lewis are all likely to be sold to the highest bidder. These players have had experience of playing in the premier league and wont want to ply their trade in a lower league now

They will need to rebuild a side which is what they are doing by buying a few players before the sales begin. That way the clubs they are buying from don't know how actual cash they have to spend

• Like 1

This has been my concern for a while.

We seem as naive off the pitch as on it. We are desperate for a DOF with a plan for existing players and recruitment of new ones.

Would easily pay for himself.

It’s just basic stuff 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

I suppose that is one way of thinking about it. The other is that the board had no interest in investing to try and keep the club in the premier league, gave up and just pocketed the cash

As with any other relegated club their better players will be sold. The likes of Cantwell, Aarons, Godfrey, Buendia, Pukki and Lewis are all likely to be sold to the highest bidder. These players have had experience of playing in the premier league and wont want to ply their trade in a lower league now

They will need to rebuild a side which is what they are doing by buying a few players before the sales begin. That way the clubs they are buying from don't know how actual cash they have to spend

Norwich for the last few years have made some decent money selling player Maddison the Murphy brothers, Redman, Brady.

They got themselves a good manager in who with good youth players developed a free flowing style of play and improved year on years. They get promoted surprisingly and get £100m for finishing last then £40m for the next 2 -3 season. They have just built a state of the art academy too.

Norwich may yo yo for a season or two, then they will stay up because they are doing it the right way, as are Brentford, Preston and Bristol City (if they get the right manager).

We are a millions years behind these teams, we will once again be under restriction on the budget next season and probably the next 2 or 3 because of one play-off final visit and appalling recruitment for the 12 months after that. The next 4-6 weeks will set out the club for the next 2-4 years.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

So is that what happened to us when we got relegated, all those years ago? All those expensive players we had on our books were sold off, they didn't want to ply their trade with us in lower leagues or did we struggle to offload, continue to pay them and almost go out of business?

I think our fanbase can be a bit shortsighted at times, thus several 100 page plus threads asking for Rhodes.... I mean what could go wrong in splashing all that cash, if we didn't the board would have 'just pocketed the cash' I suppose?? 

I guess that's what makes life interesting, having polar opposite opinions and a whole host in between.

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Norwich for the last few years have made some decent money selling player Maddison the Murphy brothers, Redman, Brady.

They got themselves a good manager in who with good youth players developed a free flowing style of play and improved year on years. They get promoted surprisingly and get £100m for finishing last then £40m for the next 2 -3 season. They have just built a state of the art academy too.

Norwich may yo yo for a season or two, then they will stay up because they are doing it the right way, as are Brentford, Preston and Bristol City (if they get the right manager).

We are a millions years behind these teams, we will once again be under restriction on the budget next season and probably the next 2 or 3 because of one play-off final visit and appalling recruitment for the 12 months after that. The next 4-6 weeks will set out the club for the next 2-4 years.

Norwich won't get the same parachute payment package as Watford & Bournemouth as they were only up there for one season. But, they have so many saleable playing assets to get themselves a war chest. 

2 hours ago, Philb125 said:

Burnley did the same a few years back. Spent very little on their first go, came back down and didn't have to alter too much. When they went back up they were in a much stronger position and have relatively comfortably remained in the premier league. Also had a season playing in Europe.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Feels like we've been a million years behind... For a million years.. 

• Haha 1