Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

34 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Turkish giants reportedly interested in ex-Portsmouth and Wigan winger Jamal Lowe - along with Celtic, Sheffield Wednesday, Millwall, Cardiff, Fulham, and Huddersfield

Fenerbahce are the latest club to be linked with former Pompey favourite.

Really like Jamal Lowe think he’s a cracking player but will be out of our price league you’d think even with Wigan’s admin worries.

13 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

Financially they will be fine though.

That's all it was about. They didnt seem bothered, made little effort to try and establish themselves as an EPL club, signings made suggested they'd given up before a ball was kicked.

Bet their fans had a reyt good time watching them lose most weeks. 

4 minutes ago, swfc1983 said:

Really like Jamal Lowe think he’s a cracking player but will be out of our price league you’d think even with Wigan’s admin worries.

Me too, but we’d probably play him at wing back

20 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

If we are to look for a leader type CB we could do a lot worse than Scott McKenna from Aberdeen. Not sure what he’d cost and I’m sure there would be other suitors. Just the type we need to organise a back 3.

We were quoted 6m for him last season and he didn't do to well last season. Would rather look at Souttar from Hearts. 

1 hour ago, Yellowbelly said:

They showed a lack of ambition. What’s the point in going up if you’re not gonna give it a go?

The money doesn't hurt. They could sell the 4/5 players like has been said for £100m with the payments spread over the next 4/5 years which would see them very comfortable, not to mention the money made from the promotion. 

Who's to say they won't go straight back up. Farke has done it before, so will have a decent idea how to do it.

44 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

If we are to look for a leader type CB we could do a lot worse than Scott McKenna from Aberdeen. Not sure what he’d cost and I’m sure there would be other suitors. Just the type we need to organise a back 3.

Didn't Bullen try to sign him before Monk came in, but the bid was rejected as they wouldn't have been able to find a replacement in time for their European match?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, swfc1983 said:

He could be available on a free in a few weeks if they don't keep the cash coming in.

48 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

Didn’t we bid for him last summer when Bullen was manager?

on Windass I’ve seen a few say they don’t want him but I suspect he is probably the top end of what we can get. At least permanently 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yellowbelly said:

They showed a lack of ambition. What’s the point in going up if you’re not gonna give it a go?

See what you're saying but if they trade well they can reinvest in more quality and go back up. Hopefully continue the cycle til their team is good enough to stay up.

Even if they yo yo for a bit they're operating on a budget and level above most of the Champ clubs (with their parachute payments as well).

What's the alternative? Be the new Sunderland? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jp1981 said:

The money doesn't hurt. They could sell the 4/5 players like has been said for £100m with the payments spread over the next 4/5 years which would see them very comfortable, not to mention the money made from the promotion. 

Who's to say they won't go straight back up. Farke has done it before, so will have a decent idea how to do it.

And then what? Pocket the money?

Was the Norwich plan to yo-yo between the two leagues and make money by selling players and winning promotion again? A risky strategy isn’t it? What were they going to do with that money earned because last season when they had the opportunity to invest that money the didn’t and as a result got relegated. So IF they manage to get promotion again next season will they then invest the money into the squad to ensure they don’t get relegated and if they did why didn’t they just do that in the first place and not get relegated first time?

Whichever way you slice it, Norwich messed it up and let down their fans. If we were ever lucky enough to be in that position I would hate for us to waste the opportunity like they did.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vulture_squadron said:

See what you're saying but if they trade well they can reinvest in more quality and go back up. Hopefully continue the cycle til their team is good enough to stay up.

Even if they yo yo for a bit they're operating on a budget and level above most of the Champ clubs (with their parachute payments as well).

What's the alternative? Be the new Sunderland? 

Or the next Leicester? Even united spent £43 mill & had the season of their lives.

Edited by Yellowbelly

2 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

Or the next Leicester?

Fair point. But I don't think Norwich have a sugar daddy in the background who can pick up the tab. Norwich would presumably have to borrow money and then if it didn't work out they could be like us in the 00s, constantly held down by servicing the debt.

Seems Josh Windass is available for free. 

I don’t think performance wise he’s been exceptional (QPR aside) but he’s certainly got an end product. 

Wasn’t overly fussed if we had to pay a fee. But for a free I don’t think we can go wrong. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, vulture_squadron said:

Fair point. But I don't think Norwich have a sugar daddy in the background who can pick up the tab. Norwich would presumably have to borrow money and then if it didn't work out they could be like us in the 00s, constantly held down by servicing the debt.

I get what you’re saying, footballs littered with clubs who’ve gambled and lost but to get promoted to the PL league - and get a minimum £80mill - just to spend over a million and get relegated straight away, watch your best players get sold and be plunged back into either a promotion fight/relegation battle in this crazy league doesn’t sound like the dream your average football fan envisages tbh. 
You don’t get a prize at the end for the best balance sheet, invest some of it in your playing squad for gods sake!!

• Like 1