Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

None of the above, but like you, I'm not sure what the answer is.

To be fair I didn't expect us to develop a transfer strategy this summer that would set us up for the future. We are in desperate need of dealing with the here and now and it is not the right platform to start nurturing a team of youth. 

We should start next season on a more level playing field, hopefully in this division and the transfer strategy should then be able to be developed for a longer term.

There are some purist/idealists on here who have the blinkers on. We have several players from our youth team involved in the set up but we can’t pull a 20m player out over night. Who had heard much of Rodon 18 months ago. You never know who will step up and do well and to earn big money they need to do it in this league. If Penney, Hunt or Dawson developed that bit further we could make a lot of money on them. But in the meantime the club needs to stay out of the footballing wilderness, the financial gap became even bigger this summer between our league and league one.

When comparing our business to other sides you have to bare in mind we were left with hardly any outfield squad when contracts ran out. Other teams mainly had enough players and just had add a little.

I’m reasonably pleased with the players brought in. Disappointed we didn’t go for more youth which seemed the original plan. Disappointed we haven’t brought in any foreign players that have been thoroughly scouted. Disappointed with our full back situation. How we can play this formation and not recruit boggles the mind.

I’m pleased with them strength, height and heading ability we’ve added. I like the look of our midfield and I think our forwards are just enough to keep us up.

I just hope we now play with a plan and a system, not just knock it long and try to defend leads that eventually evaporate. The points dropped from winning positions last season was sickening.

Over to Monk and the players to deliver now.

• Like 1

For anyone interested. I tried to keep a list of every player we have been linked with since the January window closed. 

I have it at we was linked with 28 different players prior to the deadline.

1. Nathan Holland

2. Madger Gomes

3. Dion Sanderson

4. James Garner

5. Lyle Taylor

6. Josh Windass

7. Fisayo Dele-Bashiru

8. Reo Griffiths

9. Keyendrah Simmonds

10. Aaron Hickey

11. Korede Adedoyin

12. Federico Venancio

13. Chey Dunkley

14. Jacob Murphy

15. Alessio Da Cruz

16. Izzy Brown

17. Jonathan Leko

18. Liam Lindsay

19. Jake Clarke-Salter

20. Jordan Jones

21. Kenneth Zohore

22. Callum Paterson

23. Ross Stewart

24. Andre Green

25. Aden Flint

26. Wato Kuate

27. Lee Gregory

28. Jack Marriott

• Thanks 1

Guest wilyfox
1 hour ago, 0114 said:

For anyone interested. I tried to keep a list of every player we have been linked with since the January window closed. 

I have it at we was linked with 28 different players prior to the deadline.

1. Nathan Holland

2. Madger Gomes

3. Dion Sanderson

4. James Garner

5. Lyle Taylor

6. Josh Windass

7. Fisayo Dele-Bashiru

8. Reo Griffiths

9. Keyendrah Simmonds

10. Aaron Hickey

11. Korede Adedoyin

12. Federico Venancio

13. Chey Dunkley

14. Jacob Murphy

15. Alessio Da Cruz

16. Izzy Brown

17. Jonathan Leko

18. Liam Lindsay

19. Jake Clarke-Salter

20. Jordan Jones

21. Kenneth Zohore

22. Callum Paterson

23. Ross Stewart

24. Andre Green

25. Aden Flint

26. Wato Kuate

27. Lee Gregory

28. Jack Marriott

Ryan Bennett

Michael Hector

11 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

None of the above, but like you, I'm not sure what the answer is.

To be fair I didn't expect us to develop a transfer strategy this summer that would set us up for the future. We are in desperate need of dealing with the here and now and it is not the right platform to start nurturing a team of youth. 

We should start next season on a more level playing field, hopefully in this division and the transfer strategy should then be able to be developed for a longer term.

Yes, survival is a huge priority, but shouldn't be only objective for the season. Certainly not considering how much we spent. 

Foundations should have been laid for growth and development of our squad. 

Barnsley are fighting for survival, yet they spent 1.25m on Kane from Liverpool. 

Coventry are fighting for survival, yet they are building around Shippley, O'Hare, Sheaf... 

We had funds to bring in players who are as good or better than what we have and would be important part of our line up for years to come. 

Barnsley Coventry and the likes wasn’t starting on -12? No matter how we dress it up we one of favourites to go down? No doubt about it a lot of players will have swerved us without even talking to us and then there the agents in their ears? You don’t want to go there no good for your career! Posted earlier would have loved us to go get prem youngsters on loan and a few rough diamonds from other shores then go football our way past all and sundry! But the reality is we simply haven’t the time to let them bed in? Unfortunately it’s one long fight till the very end of season? Personally think we done well to give ourselves at least a fighting chance 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

1. Kachunga is a STRIKER who converted to a winger so Udders  could play 5 midfielders in the Premier League 
2. Windass is a STRIKER who has also been used in midfield. Openly admits he prefers playing up top.

3. Paterson is a STRIKER who was converted from wing back and actually scored 7 goals as a STRIKER in the Premier.

However don’t let facts get in the way of your nonsense...

Kachunga in the last 3 years has played 88% of his games on right wing so must be a striker. 

Windass for Wigan players as an attacking midfielder so must be a striker and Paterson I cannot be bother he's played right back for most of his career.

But Reach had 3 games up front and 4 years on the left side of midfield so he must be a striker. Lees once played up front so he must be a striker and Bannan has played the number 10 role before so he must be a striker too.

With all these strikers we are looking short of midfielders.😂😂😂

21 hours ago, fpowl said:

Well not according to monk, his recruitment team and the players so you might have to get used to the idea that we won’t be signing another 2-3 strikers 

We better tighten that defender up then it we won't going to be winning many game.

2 hours ago, malek said:

Yes, survival is a huge priority, but shouldn't be only objective for the season. Certainly not considering how much we spent. 

Barnsley are fighting for survival, yet they spent 1.25m on Kane from Liverpool. 

Coventry are fighting for survival, yet they are building around Shippley, O'Hare, Sheaf... 

We had funds to bring in players who are as good or better than what we have and would be important part of our line up for years to come. 

I'd rather we had signed a couple of other longer term players but with the respective budgets and recent league finishes it's a lot more acceptable for both of those teams to go down and build again I'd say, strategy doesn't look like it's done Barnsley too many favours either, although obviously it's still very early.

15 hours ago, malek said:

We brought in couple of players who did well few years ago and failed at clubs that gambled on them...

With all these aditions we are yet to create our identity. Are we a creative, counter attacking or high pressing side? 

Still, with all this signings we hardly built a base to build on for the future. 

Besides Flint who are you talking about?

He is only old signing we have made.

For every gem that is unearthed there are another 10 who flop. You have consistentl named lots of young players who you have indicated are worth a look at how many of them have come good and how many are now out of football. It is very difficult to get raw talent into an Academy which had poor reputation and although much improved this takes years to shake off. Also the top tier Academies are now creaming off talent more than ever.

Playing with a -12 starting position is not something that would endear everyone as it means you are in a relegation scrap and some of top teams may not like players going into this environment. 

These are extraordinary circumstances and surviving will be as good as a promotion in terms of achievement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, malek said:

How are those signings Coventry and Barnsley have made much different to us in terms of Dele Bashiru? Nobody really knows if their transfer value will go through the roof in future. For every Ben Godfrey there are dozens of promising young players that are signed with a view to making a future profit but don't work out.

If you were a promising young player moving down from a PL team or up from League One looking to make an impression in the Championship I doubt a team starting the season on minus 12 points would have been the most attractive proposition. We will be in a better place to look long-term next season if we can stay up and that has to have been the priority with our recruitment this summer. 

4 hours ago, room0035 said:

Kachunga in the last 3 years has played 88% of his games on right wing so must be a striker. 

Windass for Wigan players as an attacking midfielder so must be a striker and Paterson I cannot be bother he's played right back for most of his career.

But Reach had 3 games up front and 4 years on the left side of midfield so he must be a striker. Lees once played up front so he must be a striker and Bannan has played the number 10 role before so he must be a striker too.

With all these strikers we are looking short of midfielders.😂😂😂

FFS just because Huddersfield played him out of position doesn’t make him a winger. You could see that today.

His career as a whole has seen him fare better centrally 

• Haha 1

On 02/08/2020 at 18:34, Westfield Owl said:

Straight into the starting XI and then straight into League One next year.

The kid would probably rather sign with any of the other possible suitors than us.  Not going to happen.

On 02/08/2020 at 18:40, bladeshater said:

Will offer same as I offered another poster £500 bet for a charity we won't get relegated next season

@bladeshater Is this bet offer still on the table?

lol