Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

1 hour ago, NeonLeon said:

Zohore only there until January. A worse deal than we’ve got with Marriott to be fair!

Probably because can only afford his wages until then 

On 15/10/2020 at 20:39, bigash_swfc said:

You only have to look the teams who have been promoted in recent years from League 1, to realise a backwards step to rebuild is what we need.

Leicester, Southampton, Brighton, Leeds, Norwich, Wolves, Sheffield United, Bournemouth....

Will you be hoping we get beat tomorrow?

Surely any positive results we have will scupper your masterplan of needing to get relegated in order to properly rebuild?

We brought in couple of players who did well few years ago and failed at clubs that gambled on them...

With all these aditions we are yet to create our identity. Are we a creative, counter attacking or high pressing side? 

Still, with all this signings we hardly built a base to build on for the future. 

23 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Will you be hoping we get beat tomorrow?

Surely any positive results we have will scupper your masterplan of needing to get relegated in order to properly rebuild?

Well I suppose we are papering over cracks with 31 year old CB's. I like Aden Flint and I think he's a top player. 

But we're hardly developing the next Ben Godfrey to sell on for 25m.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, bigash_swfc said:

Well I suppose we are papering over cracks with 31 year old CB's. I like Aden Flint and I think he's a top player. 

But we're hardly developing the next Ben Godfrey to sell on for 25m.

Good swerve of the question, well played, are you a politician? 

Do you think we would be better off losing repeatedly and going down than staying up?

Why do you think we will be able to develop the next Ben Godfrey as a result of getting relegated to the 3rd division? 

12 minutes ago, malek said:

We brought in couple of players who did well few years ago and failed at clubs that gambled on them...

With all these aditions we are yet to create our identity. Are we a creative, counter attacking or high pressing side? 

Still, with all this signings we hardly built a base to build on for the future. 

None of the above, but like you, I'm not sure what the answer is.

To be fair I didn't expect us to develop a transfer strategy this summer that would set us up for the future. We are in desperate need of dealing with the here and now and it is not the right platform to start nurturing a team of youth. 

We should start next season on a more level playing field, hopefully in this division and the transfer strategy should then be able to be developed for a longer term.

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Good swerve of the question, well played, are you a politician? 

Do you think we would be better off losing repeatedly and going down than staying up?

Why do you think we will be able to develop the next Ben Godfrey as a result of getting relegated to the 3rd division? 

I think its a generation thing. I can tell you've seen better times as an owl and you seem quite bitter over the prospect of waiting around while we create some youngsters to be proud of. 

I think the penny has dropped and we're slowly introducing more young talent into the team. 

Your hand is kinda forced when you're in league one, as its a must to get out those who don't contribute.

Edited by bigash_swfc
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

I think its a generation thing. I can tell you've seen better times as an owl and you seem quite bitter over the prospect of waiting around while we create some youngsters to be proud of. 

I think the penny has dropped and we're slowly introducing more young talent into the team. 

Your hand is kinda forced when you're in league one, as its a must to get out those who don't contribute.

I don't mind creating youngsters to be proud of, just don't see why we can't go down that route at this level.

I've waited 20 years to get back to the PL and will continue to watch us for however long it takes. I can tell you without a doubt that 2 of the most depressing seasons I have watched in the last 20 years were the two seasons after we were relegated to the 3rd division on separate occasions. 

Reasonably pleased with our acquisitions during this window, even more so when you consider starting the season off on minus points. Without having replaced Murphy and Fletcher or brought in a defensive midfielder, we have strengthened the energy, physicality and depth of the squad.

We've done just about as well as we could in our situation in the current climate. Will it be enough? Time will tell. We've had a decent enough start against some tough opposition, hopefully over time we will create and score more. We'll need to improve at home and also beat as many bottom half teams as possible. To do that, goals may still be an issue, and not adequately replacing Fletcher and Murphy. 

Without any bias, who do you think as had the best window in the second tier, considering their clubs aspirations? Personally, I think the likes of Swansea, Reading and Blackburn, have given themselves a decent chance of being in or around the top 6.

Where would you rate our window compared with the rest of the League?

Without the points deduction I think it would be reasonable but unspectacular business of a mid table side with an outside chance of the play offs? To be honest a top half side at best but not quite enough to realistically challenge top 6.

With the deduction, I think we have done better than we realistically could have expected and given ourselves a stronger chance of staying up. With our strongest team available, we should be more solid, more hardworking and more direct but will that be enough? 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Reasonably pleased with our acquisitions during this window, even more so when you consider starting the season off on minus points. Without having replaced Murphy and Fletcher or brought in a defensive midfielder, we have strengthened the energy, physicality and depth of the squad.

We've done just about as well as we could in our situation in the current climate. Will it be enough? Time will tell. We've had a decent enough start against some tough opposition, hopefully over time we will create and score more. We'll need to improve at home and also beat as many bottom half teams as possible. To do that, goals may still be an issue, and not adequately replacing Fletcher and Murphy. 

Without any bias, who do you think as had the best window in the second tier, considering their clubs aspirations? Personally, I think the likes of Swansea, Reading and Blackburn, have given themselves a decent chance of being in or around the top 6.

Where would you rate our window compared with the rest of the League?

Without the points deduction I think it would be reasonable but unspectacular business of a mid table side with an outside chance of the play offs? To be honest a top half side at best but not quite enough to realistically challenge top 6.

With the deduction, I think we have done better than we realistically could have expected and given ourselves a stronger chance of staying up. With our strongest team available, we should be more solid, more hardworking and more direct but will that be enough? 

The transfers in of every Championship team are shown here - https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/championship-deadline-day-transfers-signings-18686834

A few players I would have liked to see at Hillsborough but they are spread among different teams. Not one team that I look at from that and think, wow! 

Can't see any teams running away with it & getting up to 100 points and should be plenty that we should be aiming to claw back 12 points and more on. 

9 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The transfers in of every Championship team are shown here - https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/championship-deadline-day-transfers-signings-18686834

A few players I would have liked to see at Hillsborough but they are spread among different teams. Not one team that I look at from that and think, wow! 

Can't see any teams running away with it & getting up to 100 points and should be plenty that we should be aiming to claw back 12 points and more on. 

Thanks for link. Interesting to see. Like you said, quite a few decent signings but mostly spread amongst various teams. I too don't think anyone will run away with it.

That said, in the current climate and in a congested season with numerous midweek games, squad depth should be key. That's where most of the parachute payment clubs have an advantage, whilst the likes of Swansea; Blackburn, Reading, Brentford and QPR have been astute and given themselves a decent chance of being in the mix if the parachute payment clubs underperform. 

I still think it will be a tough season, we've strengthened as well as we could, especially defensively. We need to drastically pick up at home, hopefully we've done enough, the games against the bottom half will be crucial. 

It’s a one season mission for now.

Fuckthe future.  There might not be a future if we go down.

We’ve some decent youngsters anyway looking to stake their claim.

I hope Flint is a reyt, horriblebastard.  There are definitely goals in Marriott.

Edited by sonofbert2
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1