Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

45 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

To reset in this league, you need a big sale.

For example QPR's sale of EZE, that will make QPR such a stronger team all over the pitch, in time to come, if invested correctly. (20m+)

Ollie Watkins, Brentford are secure for years to come (33m)

Jude Bellingham, Birmingham will be stronger (21m)

Ben Godfrey, Norwich to Everton (25m)

We haven't got anything like this. 

You’re not going to make big profits like that shopping in the places we are. Run of the mill 25-28year old championship players, keep for 3 years-contract runs out- release and repeat.

There’s a meltdown on here at the mere thought of selling a player and any young players that do come in are deemed instantly not good enough anyway.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, 83owl said:

You’re not going to make big profits like that shopping in the places we are. Run of the mill 25-28year old championship players, keep for 3 years-contract runs out- release and repeat.

There’s a meltdown on here at the mere thought of selling a player and any young players that do come in are deemed instantly not good enough anyway.

True, only way we invest time into youth, is by taking a backwards step. 

Obviously Alex Hunt doesn't beat Bannan for a position in the starting 11 but Hunts potential could be worth 10m after playing 45 games in a league one winning side.

We did similar with Michael Antonio. Invest time. 

Anyone over 25 year old for our current need is past it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

Obviously Alex Hunt doesn't beat Bannan for a position in the starting 11 but Hunts potential could be worth 10m after playing 45 games in a league one winning side.

They have to be good enough 

6 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

You get clubs that are in the Champions League bring in a third choice British keeper to put in their Champions League squad so that they can add an extra foreign player. Chelsea did it with Ross Turnbull a few years ago and Manchester United and City did it with Lee Grant and Scott Carson.

Only problem is Westwood ain’t British!!

He was born in Manchester. He only qualified internationally Ireland because of his Grandmother 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bladeshater said:

They have to be good enough 

hunt is good enough for a first team starting shirt this season.

Today we should loan Rhodes out if we can, sell bannan. Sign marriot. Crack on. Only buy flint if we have real injury concerns over one of the centre backs.

9 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Flint would probably be a loan I guess? Also if we signed him surely we won’t sign Salter as well? 

Be interesting. I don’t think Monk rates Borner or Van Aken to play LCB. 

I think in a 3 the LCB and RCB almost have to have some attributes of a LB/RB. Think it’s a very different role to just being a bog standard CB. 

Flint I imagine would be brought into play the middle CB. He played the middle of a 3 in that Bristol C quite successfully.

Either way it will be quite interesting to see what we end up with by 5pm. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Flint would probably be a loan I guess? Also if we signed him surely we won’t sign Salter as well? 

Personally I'd prefer us to bring in the likes of Clarke-Salter or Sanderson instead of Flint. Flint offers experience; height, leadership and physicality but I think Clarke-Salter or Sanderson would suit us more in a back three, with their ability on the ball and pace.

Marriott is potentially an intriguing one to me, he's looked good and a threat, mostly whenever I've seen him, although inconsistent. He could thrive in a front three or front two and could get us in behind more, and help us press the opposition more from the front. 

I still think we need a number 9, someone to replace Murphy and a defensive midfielder to effectively play the way Monk sets us up. It could be a hectic day or a frustrating one. Hopefully we'll bring in suitable players to better fit how we play and to give us better balance. It will be risky to wait until the next window to complete our business, when we need points on the board. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

I can see where you’re coming from with this, but surely it would be better for him to cut his teeth in a better league? The problem is this season, because of the pressures following the points deduction, we have to be careful we don’t experiment too much. On the other hand, I’m totally against buying players because it’s perceived they have experience in scrapping against relegation. Of course you want fight and spirit, but that alone will take us nowhere without talent, in the same way a squad full of prima donna’s also wouldn’t 

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I can see where you’re coming from with this, but surely it would be better for him to cut his teeth in a better league? The problem is this season, because of the pressures following the points deduction, we have to be careful we don’t experiment too much. On the other hand, I’m totally against buying players because it’s perceived they have experience in scrapping against relegation. Of course you want fight and spirit, but that alone will take us nowhere without talent, in the same way a squad full of prima donna’s also wouldn’t 

There’s usually a good reason players are used to being in a relegation scrap. Fill your team with such players and guess what you end up with?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, deano said:

I think Flint is a good fit in a Monk team, we ain't playing fancy football with him at the helm. He improves the team imo, has the physicality and vocal attributes Monk likes and will undoubtedly score some important goals.

Good because it looks like we will be relying on our defenders to score the goals. At least with Iorfa dunkley and flint they should chip in with a few between them. Would be a real threat at set pieces 

Edited by Plonk
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, deano said:

I think Flint is a good fit in a Monk team, we ain't playing fancy football with him at the helm. He improves the team imo, has the physicality and vocal attributes Monk likes and will undoubtedly score some important goals.

This is it. We don’t play football under Monk. Flint suits the way we play. 

• Like 2

Any move for Flint suggests that either Lees or Dunkley has more serious issues than we first thought. Those two would battle for the middle position in a back three, and with both being experienced championship players, it would be overkill to bring in Flint to cover maybe, a few weeks absence. He’s not a sufficient enough improvement to be brought in as an upgrade. Clarke-Salter though, is by all accounts, an upgrade on our left side options. If my theory regarding a complication with Dunkley, or Lees, is wide of the mark, then is it not just another case of us stockpiling older players? We don’t need to have three veteran centre backs fighting for one position, it’s too much

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1