theowlsman

Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

43 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

I’d be happy with any or all of Darlow, Ayala, Blackett, Stewart, Irvine and Maddison on frees — no idea how realistic any of them would be though 

If we signed Irvine and Maddison I think I'd be willing to nosh off Chansiri

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I’d definitely take a chance on Maddison, has something to offer 

Think we may look to more Dele Bashiru types to turn our midfield around, take some of these prem u23 youngsters and build around them , get another Brunt and Whelan 

Am I right in thinking a free agent is actually unemployed? 

And, with some, if we're their only option, we can name the terms of a deal?

This bodes well. Considering the current size of our squad, Monkfish can take his pick. He knows where we're weak. No player is going to choose not to play over playing for us. 

Onwards.

2 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

I’d definitely take a chance on Maddison, has something to offer 

Think we may look to more Dele Bashiru types to turn our midfield around, take some of these prem u23 youngsters and build around them , get another Brunt and Whelan 

It’s strange how so many championship clubs are wary of Maddison. Plenty of clubs have looked at him, but pretty much all of them felt he would struggle to adapt to a higher league. Watched him a few times, and I have to say, it’s not immediately obvious why they think he might struggle

Isn’t Maddison out of contract? Surely will have plenty of offers.

Never been convinced with Jackson Irvine. Certainly don’t think he’s any better than what we’ve got.

18 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Isn’t Maddison out of contract? Surely will have plenty of offers.

Never been convinced with Jackson Irvine. Certainly don’t think he’s any better than what we’ve got.

I share some of these sentiments, but to be honest in our current circumstances I'd take a solid if unremarkable central midfield player on a free.

The only (kind of obvious) caveat with this is if he gets called up to the Aussie side along with Luongo... isn't the Oceania equivalent of the Euros held in winter? We could come to a time where we lose two midfielders to a mid-season international competition while the Championship season carries on... a big loss in terms of squad options.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

Am I right in thinking a free agent is actually unemployed? 

And, with some, if we're their only option, we can name the terms of a deal?

This bodes well. Considering the current size of our squad, Monkfish can take his pick. He knows where we're weak. No player is going to choose not to play over playing for us. 

Onwards.

That is what free agent means yes.

You are also correct that if we are the only option we can name the price.

However, if we are the only option I’d be asking why no other team wants them.

Anyone worth signing on a free transfer will have plenty of options and 9 times out of 10 the player will go to the highest bidder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stocksyuto said:

Wouldn't be against Gregory signing . You just get the feeling hes a small fish in a big pond at Stoke. Not the glamour signing they were after

He’s a grafter at least. Would probably match the goals Nuhiu scored. But it’s whether he’s cheaper as Stoke was a lucrative move for him.

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

You’re easily pleased given their performance at Hull in a tight spot.

But yeah they might be some of our better options 

25 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

You’re easily pleased given their performance at Hull in a tight spot.

But yeah they might be some of our better options 

Using them as cover for carnal interest in Thai businessmen 

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Bigger Guns said:

That is what free agent means yes.

You are also correct that if we are the only option we can name the price.

However, if we are the only option I’d be asking why no other team wants them.

Anyone worth signing on a free transfer will have plenty of options and 9 times out of 10 the player will go to the highest bidder.

Your 3rd paragraph suggests every unemployed player will find a club. I doubt this tbh. Think the market will be flooded now season’s over.

Again, only the best will enter a bidding war. I think there’ll be plenty of good bargains to be had. 
Fingers crossed we find a few. 

5 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

Your 3rd paragraph suggests every unemployed player will find a club. I doubt this tbh. Think the market will be flooded now season’s over.

Again, only the best will enter a bidding war. I think there’ll be plenty of good bargains to be had. 
Fingers crossed we find a few. 

I don’t think all players will get a club.

You seemed to suggest that we can basically name our price with out of contract players though.

The point I’m making is that in reality we won’t be able to do that because other clubs will likely be in for these players.

Of course there will be players who don’t get a club and we could name our price. But, and it’s a big but - clearly no one wants these players so why would we?

I actually think when a player is out of contract, clubs often pay them more and/or pay a signing on bonus because they have saved on the transfer fee. Time will tell but this may not happen this year given the current climate.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Vorm is being released by Spurs. I'd definitely take him.

*edit* Read his age wrong. 36, probably not the ideal signing. 

Nothing to see here 👀

Edited by Minton

3 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Not down on Lees so much as you, but we need someone more mobile than he is.  Lees certainly is a decent squad player.

Lees craps himself every time someone passes him the ball. He's a decent/good defender but awful in possession. If the opposition press him he is always going to cost us goals.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, prowl said:

Lees craps himself every time someone passes him the ball. He's a decent/good defender but awful in possession. If the opposition press him he is always going to cost us goals.

Wouldn’t go as far as good anymore. His hesitation when making decisions is horrendous. Mr backs away, if a player is running at him he would back off him all the way to the back of the kop given chance. Also 25k a week is a lot for a squad player.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Really good to see we are being linked with young players who have a resale value and given their age, are less likely to get injured.

That said however, I’d really like to see an experienced centre half coming into the club. Tom Lees game has gone down the s**tter since Glen Loovens left the club and I think an experienced player in the back line would breath confidence throughout the whole defence.

Wouldn't have to cost the world either considering when we were skint we were able to bring Glen Loovens, Oguchi Onyewu, Roger Johnson, Michael Johnson and Anthony Gardener to the club.

Yep.

My concern this summer, is Monk's constant dialogue about the need to bring in younger, more dynamic players.

I don't disagree that we need a fresher look throughout the squad, but this season hasn't been the clusterfook it has been, because we haven't had a lower average age to the squad.

We've lacked leaders, we lacked bottle, and we lacked an ability to handle situations when the going gets tough.

Those issues aren't rectified by signing players straight from academies.

If we don't sign two or three "captains", then these young lads we'll be targeting will be boarding a sinking, rudderless ship.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Yep.

My concern this summer, is Monk's constant dialogue about the need to bring in younger, more dynamic players.

I don't disagree that we need a fresher look throughout the squad, but this season hasn't been the clusterfook it has been, because we haven't had a lower average age to the squad.

We've lacked leaders, we lacked bottle, and we lacked an ability to handle situations when the going gets tough.

Those issues aren't rectified by signing players straight from academies.

If we don't sign two or three "captains", then these young lads we'll be targeting will be boarding a sinking, rudderless ship.

We also lacked energy, something the younger players will bring. We definitely do need an on field leader though

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Depressing really because neither are that good. Maddison was unliked by Hull fans and Irvine, whilst a trier, is a mid table player at best. Not much better than a Luongo. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We also lacked energy, something the younger players will bring. We definitely do need an on field leader though

I don't disagree that a fresher look is required.

My point is, if we just bring in players fitting the "young" "potential resale value" tags, we could find ourselves creating an environment in which these sort of players just cannot flourish. 

I'd imagine we'll be looking to bring in 7-8 players this summer. We could achieve a much younger, vibrant looking squad, whilst ensuring we bring in some experience in also. Three players who have been there and done it, and four or five players that fit a similar mould to the kid from Man City that looks to be on his way.