Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

20 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Chris Gunter, Jordan Obita and Tyler Blackett released by Reading

All played about 20ish games a piece .. Usually not a great sign that they've been released by a struggling club however you never know, things can work out for players when they move on. Gunter's been at Reading for a while now and may be wanting a new challenge

Obita and Blackett are 26/27, plenty of experience. Not sure if they are good enough or not, don't know too much about them performance wise

Apparently Reading are struggling a bit financially. Blackett turned down a new contract and would be a handy signing for us on a free. Obita has had injury problems and Gunter is a 31yr old right back so I’d hope we wouldn’t be looking at either of them

Revised list of free agents who I'd look at:-

GK - Jordan Archer (Fulham) -  averages a clean sheet in around a third of his championship games, concedes 1.1 goals a championship game. Don't think his wages will be huge. 

GK - Karl Darlow (Newcastle) - averages a clean sheet in about 30% of his championship games. Concedes about 1.25 championship goals a game. 

CB - Chey Dunkley (Wigan) - Scored 6 goals this season. I think he's out of contract. 

CB - James Chester (Villa) - Plenty of experience at this level and above. Wages might be a sticking point. 

CB - Grant Hall (QPR) - Scored 5 goals last season. Plenty of experience. 

RB - Kieron Freeman (Dem Shithouses) - Will probably be cheap enough, experienced at this level. 

LB - Tyler Blackett (Reading) - Plenty of experience, scores about 4.5 goals a championship season. 

RB - Adam Matthews (Charlton) - Plenty of experience at Championship and Prem level. Don't think he'd break the bank. 

CM - Jack Colback - Plenty of experience. Stood out whenever I've seen him play. 

CM - Jackson Irvine (Hull) - Again, stood out where I've seen him. Gets about 6 goals a season. 

AM - Neeskens Kebano (Fulham) - Averages about 8 goals a championship season, not sure what wages would be like though. 

FW - Danny Ward (Cardiff) - Usually good for about 9 goals a season, plays across front line. Wages won't be high. 

CF - Lyle Taylor (Charlton) - Scored 11 goals last year in 22 games. Will be cheap. 

CF - Nouha Dicko (Hull) - Gets about 10 goals a season in the Championship. Not sure about wages. 

Plenty on offer on the free market. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3

would take Blackett and Gunter tbh. if wages were right. Blackett looked a beast of a defender to me and Gunter has experience and quality at this level in abundance. both would improve us. both will be picked up by championship clubs I believe.

2 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

Revised list of free agents who I'd look at:-

GK - Jordan Archer (Fulham) -  averages a clean sheet in around a third of his championship games, concedes 1.1 goals a championship game. Don't think his wages will be huge. 

GK - Karl Darlow (Newcastle) - averages a clean sheet in about 30% of his championship games. Concedes about 1.25 championship goals a game. 

CB - Chey Dunkley (Wigan) - Scored 6 goals this season. I think he's out of contract. 

CB - James Chester (Villa) - Plenty of experience at this level and above. Wages might be a sticking point. 

CB - Grant Hall (QPR) - Scored 5 goals last season. Plenty of experience. 

RB - Kieron Freeman (Dem Shithouses) - Will probably be cheap enough, experienced at this level. 

LB - Tyler Blackett (Reading) - Plenty of experience, scores about 4.5 goals a championship season. 

RB - Adam Matthews (Charlton) - Plenty of experience at Championship and Prem level. Don't think he'd break the bank. 

CM - Jack Colback - Plenty of experience. Stood out whenever I've seen him play. 

CM - Jackson Irvine (Hull) - Again, stood out where I've seen him. Gets about 6 goals a season. 

AM - Neeskens Kebano (Fulham) - Averages about 8 goals a championship season, not sure what wages would be like though. 

FW - Danny Ward (Cardiff) - Usually good for about 9 goals a season, plays across front line. Wages won't be high. 

CF - Lyle Taylor (Charlton) - Scored 11 goals last year in 22 games. Will be cheap. 

CF - Nouha Dicko (Hull) - Gets about 10 goals a season in the Championship. Not sure about wages. 

Plenty on offer on the free market. 

Lyle Taylor won't be cheap.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Really good to see we are being linked with young players who have a resale value and given their age, are less likely to get injured.

That said however, I’d really like to see an experienced centre half coming into the club. Tom Lees game has gone down the s**tter since Glen Loovens left the club and I think an experienced player in the back line would breath confidence throughout the whole defence.

Wouldn't have to cost the world either considering when we were skint we were able to bring Glen Loovens, Oguchi Onyewu, Roger Johnson, Michael Johnson and Anthony Gardener to the club.

Edited by TrickyTrev
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Really good to see we are being linked with young players who have a resale value and given their age, are less likely to get injured.

That said however, I’d really like to see an experienced centre half coming into the club. Tom Lees game has gone down the s**tter since Glen Loovens left the club and I think an experienced player in the back line would breath confidence throughout the whole defence.

Wouldn't have to cost the world either considering when we were skint we were able to bring Glen Loovens, Oguchi Onyewu, Roger Johnson, Michael Johnson and Anthony Gardener to the club.

Not down on Lees so much as you, but we need someone more mobile than he is.  Lees certainly is a decent squad player.

Just now, Jim said:

This would be us signing Simon Stainrod all over again 🙄

Stainrod actually had some talent, too laid back for his own good though Don’t think he was that bothered about being a footballer

3 hours ago, H2Owl said:

Lee Gregory is signing from Stoke - Source - Never reveal your source

Wouldn’t have any interest seeing him here, average striker who might get 10 goals at a push 

We can do better 

43 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

I’d be happy with any or all of Darlow, Ayala, Blackett, Stewart, Irvine and Maddison on frees — no idea how realistic any of them would be though 

If we signed Irvine and Maddison I think I'd be willing to nosh off Chansiri

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

If we signed Irvine and Maddison I think I'd be willing to nosh off Chansiri

I’d definitely take a chance on Maddison, has something to offer 

Think we may look to more Dele Bashiru types to turn our midfield around, take some of these prem u23 youngsters and build around them , get another Brunt and Whelan 

Am I right in thinking a free agent is actually unemployed? 

And, with some, if we're their only option, we can name the terms of a deal?

This bodes well. Considering the current size of our squad, Monkfish can take his pick. He knows where we're weak. No player is going to choose not to play over playing for us. 

Onwards.

2 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

I’d definitely take a chance on Maddison, has something to offer 

Think we may look to more Dele Bashiru types to turn our midfield around, take some of these prem u23 youngsters and build around them , get another Brunt and Whelan 

It’s strange how so many championship clubs are wary of Maddison. Plenty of clubs have looked at him, but pretty much all of them felt he would struggle to adapt to a higher league. Watched him a few times, and I have to say, it’s not immediately obvious why they think he might struggle