Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

I know what you mean, a natural leader who would give the place a lift. Cahill would be brilliant, although his wages would be hugely prohibitive That’s a problem Derby overcame with Rooney though

We need a player like that. A Trevor Francis or viv anderson. They make a massive difference in the dressing room. Cahill is an Owl, another year at palace mid table or come here and be part of something longer term.

1 minute ago, mcmigo said:

We need a player like that. A Trevor Francis or viv anderson. They make a massive difference in the dressing room. Cahill is an Owl, another year at palace mid table or come here and be part of something longer term.

How did Derby subsidise the Rooney deal? I can remember that I read somewhere, that they managed to offset the deal somehow Maybe he’s owned by the ground

10 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

How did Derby subsidise the Rooney deal? I can remember that I read somewhere, that they managed to offset the deal somehow Maybe he’s owned by the ground

He is a youth coach ain't he and that dont count towards FFP and I think 32 red betting company may have sponsored it somehow as his number is 32 isnt it.

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Deal via a betting company. Hence his squad number ( same as betting company name ). 
I honestly don’t think Cahill will be that fussed about the money. We can offer him a route into coaching. Skipper for next 2 years as a player, give him time off to take badges, guaranteed coaching job in 2022 when he finishes.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

We need so many players but for me one signing will be crucial. A new senior player to become captain, who has been there and seen it.

We have lost so much more than a defender since Loovens left. The big man had played champions league football, played in la liga defending against Messi and Ronaldo, played in cup finals. And was so good on the pitch in times when we were up against it.  

I would go all out to get Gary Cahill, to give us a season or two followed by a guaranteed coaching job. He would transform the dressing room and be that figure that the younger players could look up to. 

he doesn’t need any more dosh and would be a rolls Royce at this level.

That would be some signing for us. If we have the cash that’d be a no brainier. 

Cahill on 100k per week, playing a crucial part in the premiership is going to come to Us? 

I mean I know some of us wear rose tinted glasses but if that’s the level of player you’re expecting maybe take up a new hobby like fishing and give the football a miss for a bit? 

37 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

We need so many players but for me one signing will be crucial. A new senior player to become captain, who has been there and seen it.

We have lost so much more than a defender since Loovens left. The big man had played champions league football, played in la liga defending against Messi and Ronaldo, played in cup finals. And was so good on the pitch in times when we were up against it.  

I would go all out to get Gary Cahill, to give us a season or two followed by a guaranteed coaching job. He would transform the dressing room and be that figure that the younger players could look up to. 

he doesn’t need any more dosh and would be a rolls Royce at this level.

Cahill would be amazing but I think his ability to earn big money in the premier league would outweigh playing for us on 15k a week.

Loovens was meant to be keen to get involved in recruiting, heirarchy type roles. I wonder if he would be someone who could come in and work with a manager as some clubs like Everton and Southampton have done to establish an ID and a manager then fits with that. Loovens working in recruitment or a DOF role is left field but he would have the technical background from Feyenoord but fully understands the physical requirements of England too.

Edited by Bluesteel

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

meh. No great loss imo. 

I disagree. Looked like a very astute signing this season, came on leaps and bounds. Offered a solidity when the winger in front of him didn’t leave him out to dry. Added goals and, had a decent delivery. 

More than capable at this level IMO and, he’ll do well with Stoke. Full back yet again has to be the position we nail first. We’re woefully short. I’d like us to look at Calvin Verdonk. Young Dutch fullback out of contract, no real gamble involved as wages would be minimal. 

14 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

meh. No great loss imo. 

He’s decent for this level and much better than you and others on this forum give him credit for. I’ve watched Wednesday all season and he was our second most consistent player this season behind Fletcher. 

1 hour ago, Shezza said:

Bringing Loovens back in some capacity is a good shout. Experienced, got good leadership qualities. I doubt Monk would appreciate anything like that, though. Too sulky and insecure.

Somebody I think we need more likely as a director of football. Knows what the clubs all about, knows the Chairman and has the respect of both players and supporters.

I’m doubtful whether he could work with Monk though?

55 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

He’s decent for this level and much better than you and others on this forum give him credit for. I’ve watched Wednesday all season and he was our second most consistent player this season behind Fletcher. 

he improved I agree but for me he was still an average LB. Personally I’m quite excited about seeing what Penney can do. 

• Like 1