Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

1 hour ago, Morepork said:

This makes literally no sense. You've almost described what we've done over the last few years and it's resulted in us being about as stagnant as you could possibly get without being a filthy pond....... 

It's about balance and being well organised. We should be improving our players, making them desirable, selling them for profit in the knowledge that we know exactly who we will bring in to replace them. Not stockpiling sh!te in the hope that one comes good.

You just haven’t taken in what I said !   In the last few years you’re right we have been stagnant,  mistakes have been made, now the decks have been cleared. We now have to build again that means keeping what we have for the moment !!    UTO 

Just now, kevtheowl said:

You just haven’t taken in what I said !   In the last few years you’re right we have been stagnant,  mistakes have been made, now the decks have been cleared. We now have to build again that means keeping what we have for the moment !!    UTO 

The decks are far from cleared Kev. What you are suggesting is a repeat of what we've just done.

Squad building is a continuous process and every well run club is looking to improve its playing squad and its bottom line by make adjustments, constantly.

It's football, you can never, ever be stationary as it results in the kind of squad stagnation (and other issues) we've seen up close.

• Like 3

Our circumstances aren't ideal and its a tough market but, 

I think we are seeing more and more that young talented players are less inclined to be satisfied going down the route of signing for a big club and spending years in their reserves. It's born out by the amount of talented youngster moving overseas to the likes of the Bundesliga where the wages for most clubs are more aligned with the Championship but they know they will play and have excellent coaching.

This is where our focus needs to be. Attract players with the assurance that they'll get games in a younger more dynamic setup.

It won't happen over night and there are improvements we need to make through the club but, if we can stay in this league this season we can build from there.

Clubs across Europe are adopting a similar model and actually go as far as assisting players with their next move on the back of a couple of seasons of on field progression. 

We can still be ambitious but we must be so much smarter than we have been.

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, kevtheowl said:

Do we really need the money ?  Keeping your best players to get us out of the mess we find ourselves in is priority !!   UTO 

-12 point deduction due to financial irregularities, shell companies that don’t actually exist putting money into the club, chairman’s name plastered everywhere as we can’t get anyone else to pay us enough to advertise, squad that is still hugely overpaid but with very few saleable assets, pandemic cutting revenue due to crowd loss. 

I’m guessing yes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Morepork said:

I think we are seeing more and more that young talented players are less inclined to be satisfied going down the route of signing for a big club and spending years in their reserves. It's born out by the amount of talented youngster moving overseas to the likes of the Bundesliga where the wages for most clubs are more aligned with the Championship but they know they will play and have excellent coaching.

This is where our focus needs to be. Attract players with the assurance that they'll get games in a younger more dynamic setup.

It won't happen over night and there are improvements we need to make through the club but, if we can stay in this league this season we can build from there.

Clubs across Europe are adopting a similar model and actually go as far as assisting players with their next move on the back of a couple of seasons of on field progression. 

The chairman said that was the plan last summer, that we would be looking to recruit youngsters from the Premier Leagues development squads, but for some reason, it never happened. Again this season, we were linked with a few promising youngsters, but after the signing of FDB, we again seemed to change tack, and we turned our attention to recruiting older players from lower end championship clubs. We now have plenty of experience, so what about bringing in some younger talents who we might be able to sell on for a profit one day

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Swansea and Bournemouth are chasing one time Wednesday target, Joel Latibeaudierre, who lifted the U17 World Cup with England. Manchester City are willing to let the player leave on a free, but will want a sell on percentage. Would of thought if we were interested, we’d have a chance as he is a local lad

Luton and Bristol City now also said to be interested, but Bournemouth appear to favourites

24 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The chairman said that was the plan last summer, that we would be looking to recruit youngsters from the Premier Leagues development squads, but for some reason, it never happened. Again this season, we were linked with a few promising youngsters, but after the signing of FDB, we again seemed to change tack, and we turned our attention to recruiting older players from lower end championship clubs. We now have plenty of experience, so what about bringing in some younger talents who we might be able to sell on for a profit one day

I can’t give any insight into the decision making from the top in our club.

I can just see plenty of clubs adopting sustainable strategies that still enable them to compete at the highest levels without sitting at the edge of financial oblivion.

If it’s possible to build a club from scratch in 11 years that’s now competing with Europe’s elite we should be capable of improving our lot. Organisation, planning, expertise etc, etc. 

One guy from Thailand with no previous football experience will not achieve that alone and only a fool would believe himself capable in the first place.

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I think the plans of:

1. Attempting to have enough quality to stay up.

2. Stop paying gargantuan wages to players whose performances don’t justify their wages.

3. Lowering the age of the playing squad drastically

4. Getting rid of a bunch of aging crocks

... has largely been a significant improvement. I like FDB a lot and that strategy, but I’m a bit skeptical in our position if we can attract pivotal players from academies to be that successful on the pitch at the moment. I think a signing like FDB and potentially Adedoyin are steps in the right direction, but also as part of a bigger perspective including signing some mobile semi-decent Championship players who fit Monk’s mentality

5 hours ago, Morepork said:

Fantastic analysis.  Its something I've been thinking we should be doing for a couple of years .... unfortunately you posted this on owlstalk so it won't get the time of day lol

• Thanks 1

I’ve just seen a post on a Forest page saying Aberdeen fans are fuming that Forest have signed Scott McKenna for only £5m inc addons. Desperately trying to big up the value of the deal.

They are in for a shock. Most Scottish football fans and even Dons will be absolutely pishing themselves that they’ve paid as much as that in this market. Milk turns faster than him. They had £5m to spend on one single player and signed McKenna? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

On 23/09/2020 at 10:25, Nut said:

It's common for clubs to pay for a player in instalments over the length of their contract so if Cash signed a 4 year contract, Forest will probably receive £4m a year over 4 years. This is not set in stone as Mcguigan pointed out earlier. Sometimes a club will accept a lower amount for a player in order to receive most or all of the money upfront. If the player is then sold during the term of his contract, the outstanding balance becomes payable straight away which is why you will have seen posters on here  arguing that there was no point letting Rhodes leave on a free as it would trigger a payment to Middlesbrough which would have made our financial situation worse. It's also one of the reasons why clubs get into financial difficulties when they get relegated and their revenue drops. If clubs had to pay all transfer fees upfront it would be a big help in sorting out the financial mess a lot of clubs are in. 

This piece in the Midlands press may support your side of the debate......🤔

Pay day loan

Birmingham City have been advanced the £18million owed them for selling Jude Bellingham and Che Adams.

Details of an arrangement with Macquarie Bank have been lodged with Companies House which show the Australian firm have given Blues the £13m due on Bellingham’s move to Borussia Dortmund and the £5m still to be received from Southampton following Adams’ transfer last summer. 

It is not clear what interest or fee Blues are paying but the arrangement comes at a time when they have signed nine new players despite huge uncertainty as to when they will next have paying supporters through the turnstiles.

The move has raised a number of questions, football finance expert Kieran Maguire has clarified the situation. 

The financials

Blues have been advanced money owed to them by Dortmund and Saints – as follows.

Bellingham: £3m payable on Jan 15, 2021, £5m payable on Aug 31, 2021 and £5m payable on Aug 31, 2022

Adams: £5m payable on July 1, 2021.

• Thanks 1

Forest being linked with a hell of a lot of players.......

Nottingham Forest have made a bid to sign West Brom winger Kamil Grosicki in this window, according to Meczyki.

The Polish outlet have claimed on their website that the injured player has a very good offer on the table from the Championship side, after not featuring in the Premier League for West Brom.

Just now, Bloxwich Owl said:

Forest being linked with a hell of a lot of players.......

Nottingham Forest have made a bid to sign West Brom winger Kamil Grosicki in this window, according to Meczyki.

The Polish outlet have claimed on their website that the injured player has a very good offer on the table from the Championship side, after not featuring in the Premier League for West Brom.

I wonder how close to pulling the rug, the Forest owner is? On the one hand, they’ve committed to this huge rebuilding job, but results this season, four defeats out of four, without a goal scored, on top of the dramatic fall away last season, must raise question marks. Their collapse last season, was more dramatic than even ours

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gurujuan said:

The chairman said this before we got hit with a 12 point penalty. I’m sure there wil have been a total rethink about our recruitment when this happened? The club was sure we would win and probably had a set of targets for winning the appeal ? I totally agree we should and are slowly starting to go down that route but also understand we seem to be signing players that are up for a scrap? We HAVE to stay in this league this season at all costs! We can not afford to get relegated with the current climate and now wage capping in the leagues below, you would have thought Sunderland and Ipswich would have come straight back up but not it’s a total level playing field in league one. As long as we finish fourth bottom that will do me 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mick70 said:

The chairman said this before we got hit with a 12 point penalty. I’m sure there wil have been a total rethink about our recruitment when this happened? The club was sure we would win and probably had a set of targets for winning the appeal ? I totally agree we should and are slowly starting to go down that route but also understand we seem to be signing players that are up for a scrap? We HAVE to stay in this league this season at all costs! We can not afford to get relegated with the current climate and now wage capping in the leagues below, you would have thought Sunderland and Ipswich would have come straight back up but not it’s a total level playing field in league one. As long as we finish fourth bottom that will do me 

He actually said it before last season started, but I guess your point could apply to this season as well. I sensed the change of direction came more recently though, but I may be wrong. Whether it’s a good way to go, I’m not sure, I guess time will tell. It is important that we do look for players with the right attitude, and as you say, that are up for the fight. However, if we don’t have the necessary quality, it’s likely that we will go down anyway. 

24 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I wonder how close to pulling the rug, the Forest owner is? On the one hand, they’ve committed to this huge rebuilding job, but results this season, four defeats out of four, without a goal scored, on top of the dramatic fall away last season, must raise question marks. Their collapse last season, was more dramatic than even ours

I think he'll hang in there. They've recruited a lot of players and as we all know it takes a lot of time to bed players in. Obviously the last match capitulation of last season is fresh in the mind but TBH to be anywhere near the play-offs was a result for Forest last season.

I think they'll turn it around. Remember Derby were in the bottom half of the table for 3/4 of the season and just finished outside the Top 6. Anything's possible in the championship.

22 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

He actually said it before last season started, but I guess your point could apply to this season as well. I sensed the change of direction came more recently though, but I may be wrong. Whether it’s a good way to go, I’m not sure, I guess time will tell. It is important that we do look for players with the right attitude, and as you say, that are up for the fight. However, if we don’t have the necessary quality, it’s likely that we will go down anyway. 

The signings so far to me a an improvement to last seasons squad? Out of the players who have left not many played too many games did they one way or another? Fletcher injured since jan ff didn’t play much Kieran lee didn’t play that much and the loan players wickham didn’t play much as for da Cruz well? Wot I’m trying to say is we gona get more games out of who is here now? That Watford game we would have lost that last season? As long as we stay up that’s all that matters?? Think zohore would improve us a lot and Patterson I think would surprise us ( not the goal score we crave) but would add to our attack ? Know wot you mean about quality but it’s gona be a team squad effort this season let’s hope we stay up? Oh think zohore might arrive deadline day and wouldn’t be surprised if someone else does too

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mick70 said:

The signings so far to me a an improvement to last seasons squad? Out of the players who have left not many played too many games did they one way or another? Fletcher injured since jan ff didn’t play much Kieran lee didn’t play that much and the loan players wickham didn’t play much as for da Cruz well? Wot I’m trying to say is we gona get more games out of who is here now? That Watford game we would have lost that last season? As long as we stay up that’s all that matters?? Think zohore would improve us a lot and Patterson I think would surprise us ( not the goal score we crave) but would add to our attack ? Know wot you mean about quality but it’s gona be a team squad effort this season let’s hope we stay up? Oh think zohore might arrive deadline day and wouldn’t be surprised if someone else does too

Agreed

If we sold iorfa could we bring back hector since he’s only been used in Fulham’s cup games and Sanderson 

back three of pace and power 

Sanderson hector Dunkley 

controversial but selling one could improve the department overall 

10 minutes ago, fpowl said:

If we sold iorfa could we bring back hector since he’s only been used in Fulham’s cup games and Sanderson 

back three of pace and power 

Sanderson hector Dunkley 

controversial but selling one could improve the department overall 

he has started both of Fulham’s games in the league this season. 

• Like 2