Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

2 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Give over, his pace may get others and him out of trouble every now and again but he’s not holding together anything. He’s a talent, but he’s still raw. Still can be bullied despite his frame, still can be out of position, lapses concentration but has huge potential and is getting better. But let’s not kid ourselves into thinking he’s polished, finished article holding together the back three. 

He’s getting better at present and has potential. That’s what someone will be buying his potential. If he fails to realise that potential though and for some reason stagnates we’ll be kicking ourselves like we have done with Reach, Lees, Forrestieri etc. 

We have decent cover, we are seemingly in for others too in his position if the Sanderson rumours are true. 

We absolutely must get out of this fear of selling players. It’s the only way we can survive sustainably. 

Yes he’s still learning, but he’s still the stand out player in our defence. It’s about his value to us, we don’t currently have anyone who could do a similar job. It’s the same reason I wouldn’t sell Bannan, or Izzy Brown, were he ours to keep. Two players out of a squad twenty odd, who I wouldn’t sell at this point in time

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Yes he’s still learning, but he’s still the stand out player in our defence. It’s about his value to us, we don’t currently have anyone who could do a similar job. It’s the same reason I wouldn’t sell Bannan, or Izzy Brown, were he ours to keep. Two players out of a squad twenty odd, who I wouldn’t sell at this point in time

I disagree. I think Lees, Borner, Palmer, Dunkley all come in without us losing too much. Then there’s the rumoured interest in Sanderson and others. 

If the deals right, get it done. If we keep him there’s no guarantee we stay up. If we go down he’ll be gone for half as much. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I disagree. I think Lees, Borner, Palmer, Dunkley all come in without us losing too much. Then there’s the rumoured interest in Sanderson and others. 

If the deals right, get it done. If we keep him there’s no guarantee we stay up. If we go down he’ll be gone for half as much. 

Borner looks like an absolute car crash this season, Dunkley we have no idea what he will be like or how long it will take until he is even match fit. For me we would have to go out and buy a defender of similar quality to Iorfa, can’t imagine that would be cheap. 

1 hour ago, royalowlisback said:

What I mean is, what if we agreed a 50% sell on fee or something daft, with what we still owe, minus 50% wouldn't be that great a deal then.

I know what you mean but when we signed him nothing was mentioned of that so lets hope that is the case and we get all of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

The one thing I am actually confident in Chansiri is he will demand top dollar for Iorfa. We got £7.5million for Joao and you know he doesn’t like selling players. 

If Iorfa goes, I’d be shocked if it’s less than £10million but think personally DC would push for nearer £20 million whether that’s with add ons etc. 

Indeed and he won't be sold at that price, he will stay his form will drop and then at the end of next season he will leave on a free.

The story of every decent player we have had under the leadership of DC. 

Because of this leadership and he silly prices for players, we have had to sell our stadium to cover the losses he has built up, we have been under 2 transfer embargos and currently started the season on -12 points all because of his inability to trade players when he needs to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Indeed and he won't be sold at that price, he will stay his form will drop and then at the end of next season he will leave on a free.

Because of this leadership and he silly prices for players, we have had to sell our stadium to cover the losses he has built up, we have been under 2 transfer embargos and currently started the season on -12 points all because of his inability to trade players when he needs to.

Knowing our luck, if he were to be sold, he would go from strength to strength at Watford who would then sell him on for £30 million plus.  Not unlike what happened with Antonio when we sold him to Forest.

1 minute ago, York_Owl said:

Knowing our luck, if he were to be sold, he would go from strength to strength at Watford who would then sell him on for £30 million plus.  Not unlike what happened with Antonio when we sold him to Forest.

That’s why better run clubs include sell on fees, promotion bonuses and international cap add-ons.  So that you don’t regret letting good players leave 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Again, it’s because we don’t buy smart, out of all the players we have signed, only Joao, and maybe Reach, have been in what I’d call, an investment age group We got a healthy return on Joao, although I don’t think we would on Reach. If you buy players at 26-27, then once you’ve had a couple of years out of them, they’re then approaching 30, and have little resale value. Understandably we turned down offers for our better players, we’d just reached the play offs for a second consecutive season. 
The thing is, I hope we are a bit smarter with our recruitment now, although worryingly it’s gone from trying to sign promising young players like Holland, Hickey and Leko, to Dunkley, Windass and Kachunga. 
There’s nothing wrong with those players individually, but don’t expect to see a return in a few years when we try to sell them

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Again, it’s because we don’t buy smart, out of all the players we have signed, only Joao, and maybe Reach, have been in what I’d call, an investment age group We got a healthy return on Joao, although I don’t think we would on Reach. If you buy players at 26-27, then once you’ve had a couple of years out of them, they’re then approaching 30, and have little resale value. Understandably we turned down offers for our better players, we’d just reached the play offs for a second consecutive season. 
The thing is, I hope we are a bit smarter with our recruitment now, although worryingly it’s gone from trying to sign promising young players like Holland, Hickey and Leko, to Dunkley, Windass and Kachunga. 
There’s nothing wrong with those players individually, but don’t expect to see a return in a few years when we try to sell them

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I can’t be too critical of the recruitment so far this summer as we are further ahead than I expected us to be.

I like yourself would like us to take a chance on more players like FDB but we’re in a relegation battle and we need to sign players for the here and now that know the league.

I think if we’re successful in our relegation fight then we might see more of a sea change in our approach to recruitment but one thing I do expect to see is us rely more on the lads coming through our Academy system.

47 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

Well put a sell on clause in. Simples 

1 minute ago, Jim said:

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I can’t be too critical of the recruitment so far this summer as we are further ahead than I expected us to be.

I like yourself would like us to take a chance on more players like FDB but we’re in a relegation battle and we need to sign players for the here and now that know the league.

I think if we’re successful in our relegation fight then we might see more of a sea change in our approach to recruitment but one thing I do expect to see is us rely more on the lads coming through our Academy system.

Maybe, but we’ll then be stuck with all these players again who have little or no resale value Guess what I’m saying is, people are more than happy for us to sign the likes of Dunkley, Windass and Kachunga, but then they shouldn’t moan when we can’t sell them. 

Truth is ...

Iorfa is replaceable, I still think he has the odd absolute shocker, if Watford want to pay some daft money we should absolutely be all ears but he doesn’t strike me as a Watford kind of player and I think he’s very happy at S6 

12 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

We've got to start selling our players when their stock is high in order to function as a business.So long as we get a good price for Iorfa. The positive thing is we are still in a transfer window so can replace him in time.

Totally agree but can't help hearing that in a Swiss Toni voice. 'Selling players and reinvesting is a lot like making love to a beautiful woman...' lol

When the stock is high, you grab the chance of a second date but you pull out before the resale value goes stale and get stuck with no way of escape.

The trick is to wine and dine, treat a transfer like a fine woman or a fine car, polish it up and then get out of it what you can before you're lumbered with dross or P&S bills.

Sell and reinvest wisely, avoiding the mistakes of the past and trading in for a younger model... :ph34r::ghoulguy:

Edited by The Night-Owl
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

We've got to start selling our players when their stock is high in order to function as a business.So long as we get a good price for Iorfa. The positive thing is we are still in a transfer window so can replace him in time.

In time? Let’s see if we can first replace the players who left earlier