Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

If we can get proper money then I would sell.

Love big Dom but he has some way to go to be a top class centre back.

Obviously his pace is an eye catching asset which gets him out of trouble and he seems to be a big character which I like , but he’s got a clanger in him and I have never seen a player struggle so much to judge the flight of the ball when looking to head it.

Just now, Dutch McLovin said:

True but now is not the time for that. We are basically in a one season project of stay up however we can and do it on the cheap. 

Dunkley has been brought in so could cover the loss of Iorfa and some of the money could get us a striker who could score us enough to stay up.

Building has to be done If we stay up.

Again do we sell our best player when we need all hands to the pump regarding staying up?  If safe at the next window then I may be persuaded. 

Dunkley seems far from fit then will need match fitness and Wigan fans from a playing point of view weren't sad that he was leaving

7 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

What would you consider top dollar for him is ??

10mil + add-ons bare minimum. I’d say 15. Derby just sold two bang average full-backs for 11-15mil, yet people would take 8 for Iorfa?! No chance.

Edited by wilyfox

2 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Carlos said we turned down 9m for reach. I think Forrestieri had solid offers of 8-12m in a number of windows. That’s 20m alone. 

Then the alternative is us saying to Lees and Westwood, ‘hey chaps, you’re our best players. Let’s take your 8-10k per week contract and treble it! Awesome, thanks for staying never leave!’ 

Christ, £9m for reach! Why didn't we snap their hands off. 

Re FF, I spoke to DC at one of the fan forums and he dismissed those bids. Said there has been interest but nothing firm, said we had an enquiry and suggested numbers nowhere near £8m and not followed up. While he did suggest he was Att's favourite player at the time, suggested he would have sold, as he's a businessman. 

I know there were reports in the media, Fulham one club I think,  but I believe what I heard from the horse's mouth, as it were

17 minutes ago, max_7654 said:

A quick look at recent fees for championship CB's shows the following:

• Adam Webster – Bristol to Brighton (19/20) - £20m-£22m
  • Tyrone Mings – Bournemouth to Villa (19/20) - £20m-£26.5m
  • Ben Gibson – Boro to Burnley (18/19) - £15m
  • Alfie Mawson – Swansea to Fulham (18/19) - £15m-£20m
  • Chris Mepham – Brentford to Bournemouth (18/19) - £12m
  • Ezri Konsa - Brentford to Villa (19/20) - £12m
  • Tomas Kalas – Chelsea to Bristol (19/20) - £8m

Iorfa still relatively young, experienced, english, pacy, physically imposing, good on the ball, good injury record etc; certainly competes with the above and ticks all the boxes for mid-lower prem teams (Leeds, Fulham, Burnley, Brighton, Newcastle etc.) Plenty of teams with money to spend are desperate for CB's with not many options around currently. 

As much as we need to learn from our recent mistakes with outgoings we should be taking advantage of the current market and looking for at least £12m-£15m+ for Iorfa based on the above.

Fully agree, a good young Championship CB costs big money these days. But we're Sheffield Wednesday, so we'll let him go for £2m and somebody will say "well he only cost us us £200k last year so we've done well".

Then we'll forget to add in a sell on clause and watch when Watford sell him for £30m in a couple of years...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

10mil + add-ons bare minimum. I’d say 15. Pigs just sold two bang average full-backs for 11-15mil, yet people would take 8 for Iorfa?! No chance.

Personally I'd be extremely surprised if someone offered double figures for him.

I do also wonder if the prospect of no fans for the season may make, lower prem clubs at least marginally more careful win their spending and what they are prepared to pay for players. 

• Like 1

It’s not as straightforward as, every player has his price. One, the circumstances we find ourselves in, means we have to consider how much it might cost us if we were relegated. Most on here think 4th bottom would be a result, without Iorfa we will struggle to stay up. People talk about ready made replacements, where are they? Our other centre back options are all one paced and just about average bottom end championship defenders. They have been fashioned into a decent defensive unit, but integral to that is Iorfa’s pace. It’s our defensive stability that gives a chance of avoiding the drop. 
Let’s face it, we have relatively little in attack, perhaps the worst strike force in the division, so it will all depend on how many clean sheets we can produce

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It’s not as straightforward as, every player has his price. One, the circumstances we find ourselves in, means we have to consider how much it might cost us if we were relegated. Most on here think 4th bottom would be a result, without Iorfa we will struggle to stay up. People talk about ready made replacements, where are they? Our other centre back options are all one paced and just about average bottom end championship defenders. They have been fashioned into a decent defensive unit, but integral to that is Iorfa’s pace. It’s our defensive stability that gives a chance of avoiding the drop. 
Let’s face it, we have relatively little in attack, perhaps the worst strike force in the division, so it will all depend on how many clean sheets we can produce

Excellent post. 

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Let’s face it, we have relatively little in attack, perhaps the worst strike force in the division, so it will all depend on how many clean sheets we can produce.

I suspect most peoples support in selling him would be conditional on some of the money funding reinforcements.

But yes getting rid and then not bringing anyone else in would be risky.

Look if we get an offer north of £7m for Iorfa its a no brainer not to sell him, we have 6 centre backs at the club currently, we could probably pick up a decent championship centre back on loan or for not a lot of money and make a decent fee.

If we have learnt anything as a team the reason we are in the mess we are, is because we didn't sell when we got the big offers a player costing £500k sold 18 months later for £7m+ that would be great business and a model what we should be doing going forward.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Look if we get an offer north of £7m for Iorfa its a no brainer not to sell him, we have 6 centre backs at the club currently, we could probably pick up a decent championship centre back on loan or for not a lot of money and make a decent fee.

If we have learnt anything as a team the reason we are in the mess we are, is because we didn't sell when we got the big offers a player costing £500k sold 18 months later for £7m+ that would be great business and a model what we should be doing going forward.

Depends if Wolves had any type of Sell-On Fee deal.

10 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Depends if Wolves had any type of Sell-On Fee deal.

So what we currently have a football club that spends more than it bring in, selling players is part of the process.

I think Iorfa is a great player and him and Borner last season, were as solid as Lees and Loovens of a few years ago, but every player has his price and if selling him for £7m plus mean we can bring in a few players and reduce the debts a little then why not. rather that than he leaves for a free in 18 months when his contract is not renewed. if we had done this in the past we would not have had to sell the stadium and start this season on minus 12 points.

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

So what we currently have a football club that spends more than it bring in, selling players is part of the process.

I think Iorfa is a great player and him and Borner last season, were as solid as Lees and Loovens of a few years ago, but every player has his price and if selling him for £7m plus mean we can bring in a few players and reduce the debts a little then why not. rather that than he leaves for a free in 18 months when his contract is not renewed. if we had done this in the past we would not have had to sell the stadium and start this season on minus 12 points.

What I mean is, what if we agreed a 50% sell on fee or something daft, with what we still owe, minus 50% wouldn't be that great a deal then.

7 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I'd keep him for £7m TBH. I'd have second thoughts at £10m being cheap, but a good starting point, considering other recent transfers. Similar aged players gone for £12-15m, which is probably his value. 

7 minutes ago, room0035 said:

That’s the bigger picture yes, mainly because we bought older players who had very little resale value anyway. Of all the departments, probably the midfield functions best, which is the department where we have the real quality. In defence, Iorfa offers that type of quality, and he holds together an otherwise average looking back line. 

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

That’s the bigger picture yes, mainly because we bought older players who had very little resale value anyway. Of all the departments, probably the midfield functions best, which is the department where we have the real quality. In defence, Iorfa offers that type of quality, and he holds together an otherwise average looking back line. 

Give over, his pace may get others and him out of trouble every now and again but he’s not holding together anything. He’s a talent, but he’s still raw. Still can be bullied despite his frame, still can be out of position, lapses concentration but has huge potential and is getting better. But let’s not kid ourselves into thinking he’s polished, finished article holding together the back three. 

He’s getting better at present and has potential. That’s what someone will be buying his potential. If he fails to realise that potential though and for some reason stagnates we’ll be kicking ourselves like we have done with Reach, Lees, Forrestieri etc. 

We have decent cover, we are seemingly in for others too in his position if the Sanderson rumours are true. 

We absolutely must get out of this fear of selling players. It’s the only way we can survive sustainably. 

• Like 3

Unfortunately due to the current financial climate and the situation we find ourselves in on the pitch due to P&S, we may have no choice but to sell Iorfa.

I totally agree that we should be looking for £10m+ but I suspect due to Covid-19 and the lack of finance coming into the game at the moment then I think we’d be lucky to get £5m?

Explains the interest in Sanderson and the push with Shaw and Brennan as centre-backs though I think Urgohide is seen as Iorfa’s long term replacement?