Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

Last thing we want to do is turn down a decent offer if Iorfa wants the move.

Next summer we will have a player who has only got 12 months left on his deal. Then we are yet again in a position where we are looking at letting someone walk for nothing or accepting a lot less than we would get for him this season. 

If letting him go allows us to replace with someone like Sanderson and still have change left to invest in our front line I honestly think this could be a good step forward for the club 

• Like 3

Hector was sold to Fulham for 8 million, so I suppose that is a reasonable benchmark. However, we need to wipe out our points deficit and selling your best defender is not going to help. It would also affect team morale in all probability. 

If we are going to sell it may be better to wait until at least the next transfer window and will enable Monk to get a suitable replacement lined up.

• Like 1

This is the wrong season to sell iorfa. Knock off a million and keep him for this season. Its clear our plan is to loan players with 1 season left on their contracts and attract them to sign for free next season. It's a great idea, but if we suck the spirit and success of this season out for 10 mil now, we'll lose a lot more in the long run with the loanees who are free next season not remaining. I say Don has to play this season

4 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Hector was sold to Fulham for 8 million, so I suppose that is a reasonable benchmark. However, we need to wipe out our points deficit and selling your best defender is not going to help. It would also affect team morale in all probability. 

If we are going to sell it may be better to wait until at least the next transfer window and will enable Monk to get a suitable replacement lined up.

Where have you got 8 million from? Max they will have paid was 5, and even that is doubtful. He had one year left on his contract and only 6 months when he could actually play for them.

Edited by No Uniform

46 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

10mil + a sell-on is the minimum I’d hope for when you consider what other champ defenders have sold for eg. Webster and Mepham et al. 

Centre backs are rare commodity look at fees that have been paid for some out of this division. £10 million is absolute minimum and would consider that a fire sale in circumstances.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Not convinced selling your best players is the best policy. 

I think it’s a million times better than recontracting our best players to 2-3x what they were initially on and letting them go for a free once we realised we hung on for too long. 

Hindsight’s wonderful but in last 5 years I seem to remember clubs in for Lees, Westwood, Reach and Forrestieri. If we’d have sold them all we’d unlikely be any worse off league wise but 20-30m better off financially. 

A quick look at recent fees for championship CB's shows the following:

• Adam Webster – Bristol to Brighton (19/20) - £20m-£22m
  • Tyrone Mings – Bournemouth to Villa (19/20) - £20m-£26.5m
  • Ben Gibson – Boro to Burnley (18/19) - £15m
  • Alfie Mawson – Swansea to Fulham (18/19) - £15m-£20m
  • Chris Mepham – Brentford to Bournemouth (18/19) - £12m
  • Ezri Konsa - Brentford to Villa (19/20) - £12m
  • Tomas Kalas – Chelsea to Bristol (19/20) - £8m

Iorfa still relatively young, experienced, english, pacy, physically imposing, good on the ball, good injury record etc; certainly competes with the above and ticks all the boxes for mid-lower prem teams (Leeds, Fulham, Burnley, Brighton, Newcastle etc.) Plenty of teams with money to spend are desperate for CB's with not many options around currently. 

As much as we need to learn from our recent mistakes with outgoings we should be taking advantage of the current market and looking for at least £12m-£15m+ for Iorfa based on the above.

• Like 5