Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

Coventry City are interested in Dundee United striker Lawrence Shankland, as per a report by the Courier. 

The Sky Blues sent scouts to watch the Scotland international in action against St Mirren at the weekend, a game in which he scored in.

Shankland, who is 25 years old, has been prolific over the past few seasons and it is no surprise to see Coventry keeping tabs on his progress.

2 hours ago, Mcguigan said:

Bet Leeds are laughing at the £11m they had Spurs pants down for.

this is the model we need to aim for

Young player does well for a few months and then auction them off, and repeat...

Worked well for Leeds, United, Fulham etc etc

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Coventry City are interested in Dundee United striker Lawrence Shankland, as per a report by the Courier. 

The Sky Blues sent scouts to watch the Scotland international in action against St Mirren at the weekend, a game in which he scored in.

Shankland, who is 25 years old, has been prolific over the past few seasons and it is no surprise to see Coventry keeping tabs on his progress.

Could be a shrewd move, scored 20+ goals in each of the last 3 seasons. 

On the other hand, why have a Celtic not bought him, as they tend to do with the best talent in Scotland? Also, as one still scarred by the memory of Stevie May who had similarly impressive stats, maybe not that easy to step up to Championship level. 

Edited by striker

Don’t want to come across as reactionary to today’s new COVID news but do we think we will be spending anymore after pretty much confirmed no fans in this season? Would it be wise to spend more? I certainly wouldn’t be comfortable with taking on Zohores 30k a week wages when the future of all clubs (mostly outside the Premier) will be so uncertain.
I understand the world of football keeps spinning especially at the top but at which point does Chansiri turn off the tap to ensure we aren’t one of the ones that go under permanently?

I’m not necessarily panicking,I personally think Wednesday would be just about ok, just musing on other peoples thoughts?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, swfc1983 said:

Don’t want to come across as reactionary to today’s new COVID news but do we think we will be spending anymore after pretty much confirmed no fans in this season? Would it be wise to spend more? I certainly wouldn’t be comfortable with taking on Zohores 30k a week wages when the future of all clubs (mostly outside the Premier) will be so uncertain.
I understand the world of football keeps spinning especially at the top but at which point does Chansiri turn off the tap to ensure we aren’t one of the ones that go under permanently?

I’m not necessarily panicking,I personally think Wednesday would be just about ok, just musing on other peoples thoughts?

I was thinking the same TBH. Monk has mentioned on more than one occasion that we have cut our cloth accordingly and I suspect this approach will have to continue during the current pandemic?

I suppose with relegation to League 1 a strong possibility then we have no choice. Hopefully the players we have now are capable of keeping us afloat. It’s certainly an opportunity for the youngsters to make a name for themselves.

1 hour ago, swfc1983 said:

Yes will impact finances.Think Zohore situation is a joke. WBA run a tight ship and think they have made a rick with Zohore. On long contract and did not work at Championship level for them. Have to get rid of him if say failure will be stuck so talk him up and hope somebody daft enough to fall for it.

16 minutes ago, Quist said:

Yes will impact finances.Think Zohore situation is a joke. WBA run a tight ship and think they have made a rick with Zohore. On long contract and did not work at Championship level for them. Have to get rid of him if say failure will be stuck so talk him up and hope somebody daft enough to fall for it.

That’ll be why the deal is taking so long? If we are still reportedly after him? Can’t see it being a buy even if we did agree a few can’t see us stumping up £30/40 k a week anymore esp in these unprecedented times? If reports are true and he on 40/50k a week we’ll av offered wot we deem sensible? So the longer it’s gets dragged on the better our chances of getting the deal we want? So West Brom will either get a % paid of his wages or he warms the bench or doesn’t even make the squad taking the full wage off them? Will go till last day imo 

• Like 1

Does seem to have gone very quiet for us doesn't it. It's clear we won't be paying for the likes of Murphy and Zohore unless they match our modest budget which I'm guessing is unlikely. No fresh links to any other attackers at all unless I've missed anything. Dion Sanderson still not been taken by anyone, my guess is he is asking a lot or I'm sure another Championship club would have him by now. Especially seeing as Wolves are seemingly willing to let him go. A few decent signings being made by other clubs in the last week or so. I think there's 13 days left in the window until it closes. We need 2-3 players still for me. 

8 hours ago, striker said:

Could be a shrewd move, scored 20+ goals in each of the last 3 seasons. 

On the other hand, why have a Celtic not bought him, as they tend to do with the best talent in Scotland? Also, as one still scarred by the memory of Stevie May who had similarly impressive stats, maybe not that easy to step up to Championship level. 

I could score 20 goals in Scottish league! 🤣

• Haha 1