Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

4 hours ago, Craig enock said:

How much co er do you need ?  Van aken and borner is enough surely 

Well it was said you need 5 when you play two centre halves as they are more prone to injury and suspension in that position. We have said two people fighting for every position so we are one defender down by that yard stick.Van Aken has surprised with some good play including defending so far but Borher not been at best to date. Lees, Dunkley both injury prone looking at appearance record. Van Aken also had lengthy absence due to injury and think he also picked up knocks last season.

Dunkley we have not seen so far. We were looking for another centre back so coaches must have some concern. Yes pleased so far but unconvinced we do not need another bod.

Mckenna who is linked with Forest is very good player by the way.We had bid for him last year of £3 million which was turned down.

1 minute ago, Quist said:

Well it was said you need 5 when you play two centre halves as they are more prone to injury and suspension in that position. We have said two people fighting for every position so we are one defender down by that yard stick.Van Aken has surprised with some good play including defending so far but Borher not been at best to date. Lees, Dunkley both injury prone looking at appearance record. Van Aken also had lengthy absence due to injury and think he also picked up knocks last season.

Dunkley we have not seen so far. We were looking for another centre back so coaches must have some concern. Yes pleased so far but unconvinced we do not need another bod.

Mckenna who is linked with Forest is very good player by the way.We had bid for him last year of £3 million which was turned down.

I think we were in for Clarke-Salter, hence the decision to make Van Aken available for transfer, but maybe Chelsea decided to sell instead of loan? Since then, Van Aken has come back into the fold. That’s not to say we can’t upgrade, but we should have enough with those 5, plus Urhoghide, who is actually a right sided centre back. Maybe sign another one for the U23s, who could act as cover, if we had an injury crisis

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

I think we were in for Clarke-Salter, hence the decision to make Van Aken available for transfer, but maybe Chelsea decided to sell instead of loan? Since then, Van Aken has come back into the fold. That’s not to say we can’t upgrade, but we should have enough with those 5, plus Urhoghide, who is actually a right sided centre back. Maybe sign another one for the U23s, who could act as cover, if we had an injury crisis

Just for record how many of those are available currently? We are thin in this area.Nobody has been in for Van Aken,his improved form is a much needed bonus for club and says something about coachinghe has received in Germany or from new coaching set up. Lees has also looked much better.

I have more hope for Shaw or Brennan as a centre back than Osaze but not sure you could rely on any permenatly at this stage.

8 minutes ago, Quist said:

Just for record how many of those are available currently? We are thin in this area.Nobody has been in for Van Aken,his improved form is a much needed bonus for club and says something about coachinghe has received in Germany or from new coaching set up. Lees has also looked much better.

I have more hope for Shaw or Brennan as a centre back than Osaze but not sure you could rely on any permenatly at this stage.

We also have Palmer who can play in a three, but if Dunkley’s injury drags on, we will be a bit stretched. By all accounts, the spine of the U23 side, is a real weakness, according to those who regularly watch them. Both Shaw and Brennan are midfielders who ended up filling in there. Perhaps now we’ve switched to a back three at development level, we can better accommodate that type of player. At that level, we do lack a dominant centre back.

Edited by gurujuan

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

We also have Palmer who can play in a three, but if Dunkley’s injury drags on, we will be a bit stretched. By all accounts, the spine of the U23 side, is a real weakness, according to those who regularly watch them. Both Shaw and Brennan are midfielders who ended up filling in there. Perhaps now we’ve switched to a back three at development level, we can better accommodate that type of player. At that level, we do lack a dominant centre back.

Yes I agree about U/23 side that was true last year. Palmer would be suitableagainst some sides but against sides who have towering forwards he is not the answer. My point is we look short if you do some analysis. 

Our lack of recruitment in our U23s is embarrassing, we should regularly be signing 7/8/9 released premier league academy players on the proviso that they have a second chance and can push to our 1st team if they do well. Players like Alex Denny, Dion McGhee, Justen Kranthove all had good reputations but are still on frees.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Quist said:

Yes I agree about U/23 side that was true last year. Palmer would be suitableagainst some sides but against sides who have towering forwards he is not the answer. My point is we look short if you do some analysis. 

I would argue any resources we do have would be far better spent on a forward rather than reinforcing an area of the pitch where we have

Iorfa, Lees, Dunkley, van Aken, Borner

and if push comes to shove Palmer, Shaw and Urhoghide.

That's 8 names for 3 positions. 

We're poor. We can't afford to have 6 Championship-level CBs for 3 positions. We arguably have 5 for those 3, with at least one pretty competent backup CB in Palmer (out of position admittedly)... we'll be far better spending our money elsewhere.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

WTF!

We've signed loads for the U23's though, wouldn't call the recruitment "embarrassing" by any stretch!

Look at the link from the website https://www.swfc.co.uk/teams/u23-team/

only 16 players and of them Render, Brennan, Waldock, Grant and Hagan have all been involved in the first team. 16 players isn't enough for a match day squad. 

1 hour ago, Quist said:

Yeah I think we have enough cover . Palmer can play there urhoghide can play there . I'm not sure 

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

I would argue any resources we do have would be far better spent on a forward rather than reinforcing an area of the pitch where we have

Iorfa, Lees, Dunkley, van Aken, Borner

and if push comes to shove Palmer, Shaw and Urhoghide.

That's 8 names for 3 positions. 

We're poor. We can't afford to have 6 Championship-level CBs for 3 positions. We arguably have 5 for those 3, with at least one pretty competent backup CB in Palmer (out of position admittedly)... we'll be far better spending our money elsewhere.

That is assuming we can only bring one person into club. I think we will make a few more signings.

I agree a forward is a priority but do not think we are as well off defensively as some on here may think. Dunkley will not be available until November and Lees and Van Aken are also injury prone. The reason we are keeping clean sheeets is some excellent work in midfield particularly by Loungo who has been playing particularly well.

Other issue is what forwards are available? We would be daft spending all money on Zohore. Had a look at what was available and their does not appear to be much at moment. Gyokeres at Brighton looks a good option as any but is they remain in EFL cup think he will stay with them. Grant at Huddersfield is sittingon backside and training with kids. He will be leaving currently no takers at want Huddersfield want and only WBA shown any real interest. They need money from Zohore transfer. Other than that most options are playing first team football. Derby have just gone for 19yro kid who left Liverpool for Italy. Think it shows very difficult.

9 minutes ago, Quist said:

That is assuming we can only bring one person into club. I think we will make a few more signings.

I agree a forward is a priority but do not think we are as well off defensively as some on here may think. Dunkley will not be available until November and Lees and Van Aken are also injury prone. The reason we are keeping clean sheeets is some excellent work in midfield particularly by Loungo who has been playing particularly well.

Other issue is what forwards are available? We would be daft spending all money on Zohore. Had a look at what was available and their does not appear to be much at moment. Gyokeres at Brighton looks a good option as any but is they remain in EFL cup think he will stay with them. Grant at Huddersfield is sittingon backside and training with kids. He will be leaving currently no takers at want Huddersfield want and only WBA shown any real interest. They need money from Zohore transfer. Other than that most options are playing first team football. Derby have just gone for 19yro kid who left Liverpool for Italy. Think it shows very difficult.

Not a prayer of getting Grant from Huddersfield. Will cost too much

Huddersfield Town have agreed a fee with Portuguese giants Benfica for midfielder Chris Willock according to the Daily Mail. 

It is also claimed that Rangers, Derby, QPR and Bournemouth are keeping tabs on the development involving Huddersfield’s attempt to get this deal over the line.

Just now, sheffwed1 said:

I do not think we could buy him,.They had offer for £15 million but was then withdrawn. I think that is what they roughly value him at. However they are paying wages and his manager has not been complimentary about him and wants him out. Apparently no one in at moment for him, thought if we made loan offer, it is unlikely to work but worth a go. At some point Huddersfield have to make a decision on what to do with him if get wages paid and he plays well value may increase. Or they could do what we do and just let them rot inreserves and lose more money.

36 minutes ago, sheffwed1 said:

Nether do I, but shows the value in investing in youth and actually playing them. Bought for £1.5m, now talking of value around £15m.

I think were coming round to this strategy slowly, we now have a coherent recruitment structure and well placed to make strategic investments in potential, rather than looking at PL cast offs.